Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad to be back in a Mustang and this eco is nice. Got the wife a 2021 explorer last year and it’s bone stock.
I got the car 2 weeks ago but have the below mods added. It was bone stock
2016 Premium Race Red 6r80
Mishimoto Intercooler
K&N filter (stock box)
New stock plugs
Ford Racing Track Suspension
Wheels and tires are coming in next week
19x10 +42 Verde’s
285/35r19 AZ850 Arturo’s

I have an sct x4 and have talked to unleashed on tuning the car. It’s just a fun DD highway car. I get up to 35-38mpg and I drive a 100 mile round trip daily so not looking to race it just want it more enjoyable and staying away from ecoboom. I only use top tier 93. Debating on putting a dv+ and turbosmart 7psi wastegate in just as the stock one is at 100k. Also thinking of putting a hpp turbo on for a little performance and the added reliability of a new unit.

·
Registered
842 Posts
So, yours came with non HPP/PP1 4 piston brakes. IF so, I have a set of 4 piston GT brakes I will be putting on my car in the future. I checked with my ford parts buddy and he said I would need the backing plates, rotors and caliper mounting bolts from a GT also for the calipers to fit.

Did you have to get those parts for your swap.

BD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car came with the 2 piston base brakes. I got the rotors/pads/lines/calipers off a 2022 with 5k miles. Used my stock bolts as everything I read said they were the same. Have had on for 600 miles now and they are doing great. I’ll upgrade the rotors and pads before long.

·
Registered
842 Posts
My car came with the 2 piston base brakes. I got the rotors/pads/lines/calipers off a 2022 with 5k miles. Used my stock bolts as everything I read said they were the same. Have had on for 600 miles now and they are doing great. I’ll upgrade the rotors and pads before long.
So, you did not have to replace the backing plates on the knuckles to clear the 4 piston calipers in the front. I checked my VIN against the VIN for the GT my 4 piston calipers came off of and the backing plates are different part numbers so assumed they would have to be changed to clear the calipers. I got front and rear from 18 GT with 13,000 miles and they look new with barely used pads and hoses for 70 bucks off fleabay.

I know the rotors are a bigger diameter than the base brakes so knew they would need changed.

The caliper mounting bolts that thread onto the knuckle according to Ford are torque to yield bolts so once torqued to specs they stretch to provide the proper clamp load and can break if used a second time and torqued to specs. They are called out in parts description as one time use only. My parts guy says he has had customers come in after a caliper removal/brake job that told him the bolts broke after brake service while driving down the road. It's the same with head bolts and lots of fasteners on the newer vehicles.

For me not worth the 12 bucks for new bolts to risk any breaking because they were used twice.

BD

·
Registered
842 Posts
Do you have 19" diameter wheels and the calipers clear the wheels ok? Mine are 19" so was just curious.

BD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used locktite but went ahead and ordered new bolts to be safe. Like you said it’s $12. I know the lower strut nuts are tty and I replaced those when I did the track struts. I didn’t change out the backing plate. Didn’t even think about it. Might be something I do on the next rotor changeout as they are just a little smaller than the rotors. I’m running 19” brembo wheels but changing to a 19x10. Shouldn’t be a problem to clear.

·
Administrator
3,836 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I used locktite but went ahead and ordered new bolts to be safe. Like you said it’s $12. I know the lower strut nuts are tty and I replaced those when I did the track struts. I didn’t change out the backing plate. Didn’t even think about it. Might be something I do on the next rotor changeout as they are just a little smaller than the rotors. I’m running 19” brembo wheels but changing to a 19x10. Shouldn’t be a problem to clear.
Yes, the base rotors are 13" in front versus the 14" GT rotors so the backing plate would be smaller than the GT rotors, same with rear as well.

Good to know the 19" wheel on mine will work with GT brakes. Yes, better safe than sorry on the caliper bolts. I am not a fan of TTY fasteners myself.

The backing plates are about 22 bucks apiece so not too bad of a price

Thanks BD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts