Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium , 50 Years edition
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i know people who drives a stang shouldn’t care a lot about gas mileage or the money spend for gas.

i have a 2015 ecoboost. Nothing major.. roush intake, custom catch can and running on 18” wheels.
the car was tuned before I bought it and not on a tune now. Basically stock.

im getting 14.2L per 100km now.. with the gas prices now im spending almost $10 (canadian) a day.
I’ve seen GTs with better range.

is this common with ecoboost or is there something probably wrong with my car?
Oil change done on time, filters are clean, drain catch can every month. No other weird sounds, no lights on dash,

How do i figure out this?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
The GT models have a gas tank with .5 more gallons then the Ecoboost models. I Daily a Hybrid that is supposed to get 39 MPG but have been getting closer to 33 MPG because its boosted and I sometimes have a lead foot. When I tuned my Mustang I started getting closer to 28 MPG if I drive it very conservatively.

·
Registered
2016 ecoboost premium
80 Posts
i live in alberta and the gas here has way more ethanol than it normally has. My tahoe on 87 went from 15 l/100km to about 25 l/100km

my 16 eco is mostly stock and gets 11 ish ( i drive back roads faster than i should and hammer it at lights all the time ). It hasnt changed lately because i run it off 94 octain gas from chevron or petrocan.

i have a couple reasons,
1. even a stock mustang makes the most power running on 93, on 93+ the car makes 310hp on 87 it makes 270
2. the only way to get ethanol free gas in canada is to buy 94 ethanol is added to gas to lower emissions but at the cost of fuel economy ( it also makes the gas cheaper, becuase ethanol is cheaper than gas)

so for me the $20 added cost to my weekly fuel ups is worth it so i can have the most power and get the best fuel economy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Shell premium uses no ethanol, you should explore and try that out, im you can find tons of them in alberta :)
as for OP concerns, are you always driving on boost? You need to stay below boost and chill on vacuum if you are looking to get back to at least 27+ mpg here.

·
Registered
2016 ecoboost premium
80 Posts
Shell premium uses no ethanol, you should explore and try that out, im you can find tons of them in alberta :)
as for OP concerns, are you always driving on boost? You need to stay below boost and chill on vacuum if you are looking to get back to at least 27+ mpg here.
they dont have 94 tho so i didnt know it was ethanol free

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, since most of us deal in US measurements...
View attachment 42169
Yeah, 16.5 MPGs or so isn't very good. Was this a sudden change, or did you just notice it because of the price increases?
actually its not a sudden change, i had a turbosmart Wastegate installed in before, without a tune it was giving a check engine code. That was my last post on this forum about.
now that i have the factory wastegate from last 4 to 5 months I thought my fuel economy will get better. But it is worse now.

it always had bad economy, but with fuel prices now I’m noticing a lot now.

·
Registered
2018 ecoboost convertible premium
173 Posts
Guys i know people who drives a stang shouldn’t care a lot about gas mileage or the money spend for gas.

i have a 2015 ecoboost. Nothing major.. roush intake, custom catch can and running on 18” wheels.

im getting 14.2L per 100km now.. with the gas prices now im spending almost $10 (canadian) a day.

Oil change done on time, filters are clean, drain catch can every month. No other weird sounds, no lights on dash,

Just to let you know bro, my ecoboost gets the same gas mileage as my tundra. I have the 5.7L Triton V8 in my tundra. I get about 16 MPG on both. If I drive in normal mode I may get a couple more MPG's. I feel your pain!!!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I mean, honestly, I know alot of people talk on here a out 25+mpg, but I gotta believe that's strictly highway miles. I watched my fuel economy religiously when I was having my PCV issues, because my fuel econony did take a nose dive with those issues present.

But yes, at highway cruise control speeds, fuel economy is definitely in the 25+mpg range. But with any type of throttle, that fuel efficiency gage struggles to stay above the 18.5mpg mark. And that's with the lightest touch. If you get into the throttle, that efficiency gage dives into the single digits.

Even on when on cruise on the highway doing 65. Again, yes, I will get about 30mpg on a flat plane, but if I go up the slightest of hills, that efficiency dives back down to about the 18.5mpg mark, even worse, if the hill is nasty and long. When coming down the hill, I see the efficiency mark flirt with the 40mpg mark. And this doesn't even begin to account for city miles, where all the stop and go really takes a toll. But it all averages out in the end, I suppose.

But my point is, unless you spend the vast majority "cruising" on the highway, you can pretty much expect your fuel efficiency to be about that mark of 18.5mpg. If you are heavy on the foot, and like to go fast and/or hear your engine...then you can definitely expect even worse numbers than those.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My average MPGs run between 22/23 with mostly city driving, if i get on the interstate and set cruise at 74 MPH I have seen 30 mpg average so far as a best over a 225 mile interstate trip. I have the 10R80 and generally drive with a light foot in D most times. I do drop to S once in awhile and have some fun but not so much with gas so high now.

BD

·
Registered
680 Posts
I mean, honestly, I know alot of people talk on here a out 25+mpg, but I gotta believe that's strictly highway miles. I watched my fuel economy religiously when I was having my PCV issues, because my fuel econony did take a nose dive with those issues present.

But yes, at highway cruise control speeds, fuel economy is definitely in the 25+mpg range. But with any type of throttle, that fuel efficiency gage struggles to stay above the 18.5mpg mark. And that's with the lightest touch. If you get into the throttle, that efficiency gage dives into the single digits.

Even on when on cruise on the highway doing 65. Again, yes, I will get about 30mpg on a flat plane, but if I go up the slightest of hills, that efficiency dives back down to about the 18.5mpg mark, even worse, if the hill is nasty and long. When coming down the hill, I see the efficiency mark flirt with the 40mpg mark. And this doesn't even begin to account for city miles, where all the stop and go really takes a toll. But it all averages out in the end, I suppose.

But my point is, unless you spend the vast majority "cruising" on the highway, you can pretty much expect your fuel efficiency to be about that mark of 18.5mpg. If you are heavy on the foot, and like to go fast and/or hear your engine...then you can definitely expect even worse numbers than those.
Imagine the effect non-Florida hills can have! 😂

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Imagine the effect non-Florida hills can have! 😂
Haha. No hills here. Basically talking about highway overpasses. :D

Cruise control set. 65mph. While cruising flat, ~30mpg. As soon as I go up the overpass, 18.5mpg.

·
Registered
Mustang 2015 2.3 ECOBOOST PP PKG
227 Posts

i have a 2015 PP pkg tuned and a bunch of xtra's today in orlando fl i was hitting 28mpg on the way to work... check the basic's air cleaner, plugs, throttle body etc ... vp

·
Registered
2019 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
34 Posts

My Eco is heavily modified has a Turbonetics NX 2 turbo upgrade, an upgraded intercooler, 3" down pipe, Cold Air tube from AFE, Custom tune from Edge Autosports. I get 35 mpg on the highway at 75 mph with cruise control engaged.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My eco has a MBRP cat back, K&N panel filter in stock air box, AFE intake tube, CVFab IC, charge pipes and TB spacer, GFB DV+ BPV kit, GT air inlet tube with the grill diamonds on the left side dremeled out so there is no blockage in front of the air box inlet intake with factory tune

I just got 29.9 MPG on a 50/50 city/highway road trip of 250 miles in length.

BD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys guys, I don’t think type of fuel is the issue here, last week i filled up my tank and it showed a range of 310 kms but only run for 288 kms.. an avg of 14.5L per 100kms.

Do you think, does retuning the car makes a difference?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Not sure about tuning making a difference in fuel mileage numbers because I have not gotten my FP tune flashed yet, will be flashed on the 31st of this month. I do have a friend with a FP tune in his 2017 and he says he noticed an increase in mileage after the tune. A tune does make more power which if driven with a light foot can have the potential to improve mileage numbers. As other have stated they have seen better numbers after a tune so can't argue with real world experience.

The biggest factor in better mileage numbers is your driving style and a heavy foot on the go pedal. The very best tune makes no difference if you drive very spirited all the time.

You control the fuel consumption in a direct proportion to how you drive.

BD

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Guys guys, I don’t think type of fuel is the issue here, last week i filled up my tank and it showed a range of 310 kms but only run for 288 kms.. an avg of 14.5L per 100kms.

Do you think, does retuning the car makes a difference?
Holy cow! I'm maybe at maybe 5/8 of a tank or a bit more and I'm showing 374 kms remaining. I regularly show nearly 550+ kms after a fill up. You must have a heavy foot.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
The biggest factor in better mileage numbers is your driving style and a heavy foot on the go pedal
Bingo.

There are 2 things that essentially "decreased my mpg". The tune, and my catback. Why? Because both things exponentially increased the reward on my senses when pressing down on the accelerator pedal as hard as I can! :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts