Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used one of these tunes? I searched around and couldn't find much for reviews. A few people on the focus forums used them. It claims to use all the factory parameters and adapts to different fuel octane but producing power similar to other tunes.
Does anyone have any knowledge on this?

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Guitar accessory Sleeve Automotive design
Font Darkness Terrestrial plant Number Circle
Font Terrestrial plant Darkness Number Screenshot

Attachments

· Registered
458 Posts
I've never heard of this tune before. I did a little searching and found that it's popular in the Fiesta ST and Focus ST communities. I've always wondered why no tuners offered an octane adaptive tune, like the stock tune.
It looks interesting. The people that have put it on their Fiesta and Focus all seem to like it. They say it feels just like the stock tune, just more power. Are you going to get the tune?

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds good and all but I'm hesitant about the fact that I can't find many reviews on it.
As long as its a safe tune it sounds like it would be a good one. I was hoping someone from the mustang community had tried it out.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ordered a cobb accesport the other day, waiting on it to be delivered. I'm going to test out the cobb stage 1 but I'm considering this adpatx tune. It says its just like factory except they raised the power and torque limit. So in theory as long as the power isn't too high it should be as reliable as stock tune?

· Registered
953 Posts
Very intriguing. Some more info on their tech blog here: Adapt-X Tune Technical Break Down – Monster Tuned Tech Blog

As I see it,

Pros
  1. Flash and done - no high speed test runs and calibrations to send back and forth.
  2. Might be better than other "canned" tunes.
  3. Might be safer than pro tune, with the ability to adjust to variances in octane (I like that it's good to E30).
  4. Works with all the mods I currently have installed (basically Cobb stage 3 stuff).

Cons
  1. Only works with factory wastegate (and maybe some other parts I might consider in the future?).
  2. No levels or stages, so like FP tune, you get what you get.
  3. No ability to squeeze a little more power out like a pro tuner might. Of course, that's a compromise and if the squeeze results in a catastrophic failure, this would be in the pro category above.
  4. No history on this forum with other owners, at least not that I've seen.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
So, I have some issue with believing that a Cobb accessport OTS tunes or pro tune disable the ford adaptive learning, octane adjust tables and knock timing tables from functioning per the strategies already programmed into the PCM calibrations. I myself just think it's another new to the market tuner using a Cobb AP to sell OTS tunes that boost power level just as Cobb has been doing for years now. Just a new spin on an old game with good marketing hype.

If all they say can be accomplished with a Cobb AP then why has Cobb not capitalized on it all by now as well.

Just my 0.2 cents worth.

I would love to be proved wrong by some willing to buy the tuner and see if it's all they say it is and above and beyond the current Cobb AP.

BD

Reactions: 17905 and jackstang

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm considering trying it out when I get the money. Someone on the focus forums had their car dyno'd with 93 octane and their numbers were close to what the website says (I think it was around 250whp on an ST). The main thing people over there are saying is that it drives exactly like stock until you floor it. I haven't been tuned yet but from what I understand alot of tuners try to make the drive ability feel more peppy down in lower rpm driving which this tune doesn't do. Basically it's stock until you floor it. Seems like it should be safer to me.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also I believe it keeps the same torque curves as factory, just makes more torque. I feel like that would be better instead of having all the torque come in to early like some tunes do that I've read about. Torque to early with turbo cars is not a good thing.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
I just read thru the info for the tune only for the mustang and it seems to be a good product on the surface from the literature shown. Not sure I believe the info in the linked blog about still using fords boost control strategies and that other tuners turn those strategies off since ford keeps that kind of info under lock and key. Unless this is possibly one or some of the recently laid off engineers that had access to such info starting out on their own, I have my doubts that it would be any better or different than any other Cobb ap OTS tune, plus if ex ford engineers, then they are pirating protected info. It states right in the above liked blog that the 18+ mustang uses a completely different tuning strategy with adaptive learning than other eco power vehicles and I find it hard to believe that these tuners have found access to this info.

I may be willing to try it once there is more info/customers with the tunes in their cars for long term testing to see the good or bad from this product. Their claim of 250 WHP is somewhat conservative IMO since my 2020 with the FP tune in it has put down the number of 264WHP and 380WTQ on a dyno in Pensacola, FL back in June while on the Hot rod power tour in 100 degree ambient temps and 129 degree intake IAT temps so for now I will stick with the FP tune that has all the ford tuning strategies in place just like the stock tune and I see 24 psi boost regardless of ambient temps at WOT.

Here is the info on the tune from them with already owning a Cobb AP.

Mustang Ecoboost Adapt-X Tune (monstertuned.com)

BD

Reactions: 17905

· Registered
458 Posts
I just read thru the info for the tune only for the mustang and it seems to be a good product on the surface from the literature shown. Not sure I believe the info in the linked blog about still using fords boost control strategies and that other tuners turn those strategies off since ford keeps that kind if info under lock and key. Unless this is possibly one or some of the recently laid off engineers that had access to such info starting out on their own I have my doubts that it would be any better or different than any other Cobb ap OTS tune, plus if ex ford engineers then they are pirating protected info. It states right in the above liked blog that the 18+ mustang uses a completely different tuning strategy with adaptive learning than other eco power vehicles and I find it hard to believe that these tuners have found access to this info.

I may be willing to try it once there is more info/customers with the tunes in their cars for long term testing to see the good or bad from this product. Their claim of 250 WHP is somewhat conservative IMO since my 2020 with the FP tune in it has put down the number of 264WHP and 380WTQ on a dyno in Pensacola, FL back in June while on the Hot rod power tour in 100 degree ambient temps and 129 degree intake IAT temps so for now I will stick with the FP tune that has all the ford tuning strategies in place just like the stock tune and I see 24 psi boost regardless of ambient temps at WOT.

Here is the info on the tune from them with already owning a Cobb AP.

Mustang Ecoboost Adapt-X Tune (monstertuned.com)

BD
The 250 WHP Pstain talked about was for a Focus ST. On their Mustang web page, they claimed 365 crank horsepower on 93 octane.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
The 250 WHP Pstain talked about was for a Focus ST. On their Mustang web page, they claimed 365 crank horsepower on 93 octane.
I did see that info but right above it they state to keep the stock airbox as it flows well enough to support 250WHP yet if you estimate the WHP according to their highlighted text right above crank HP numbers for fuel octanes you will get 365 crank HP X 0.88 estimates that WHP should be 321.2 on 93, so they contradict themselves in saying the stock airbox should not be replaced, but it is only good for 250WHP. Which is it, can't have your cake and eat it too.

Time will tell if what they claim is accurate or not.

BD

· Registered
458 Posts
I did see that info but right above it they state to keep the stock airbox as it flows well enough to support 250WHP yet if you estimate the WHP according to their highlighted text right above crank HP numbers for fuel octanes you will get 365 crank HP X 0.88 estimates that WHP should be 321.2 on 93, so they contradict themselves in saying the stock airbox should not be replaced, but it is only good for 250WHP. Which is it, can't have your cake and eat it too.

BD
I'm thinking the 250 WHP, for the stock air box, is just a mistake. We all know it's good for way more than that.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They seem to deal with focus members mostly so I'm betting the 250whp for the air filter was something they forgot to change out of their description. Because all the descriptions for each car is pretty much identical except for the hp numbers.

· Registered
953 Posts

BD
I suspect the 250 number is likely a typo, since that's probably closer to stock whp anyhow. As a matter of fact, the same paragraph in the description for the Focus ST states, "We highly recommend keeping the factory airbox (and with the oem lid) as it flows very well up to 350 whp..." Which just so happens to make a heck of a lot more sense!

Edit: Yes, I see the other guys already chimed in after I started drafting my response hours ago! 😂

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They also claim that it will adjust to any upgrades you do, minus turbo upgrade, you just have to reflash it. So wouldn't that mean that it does have the ability of the factory ford tune?

· Registered
1,656 Posts
I agree the 250WHP is inaccurate since the 470Hp V8s use the same airbox with great success without issue. As far as it being a typo and the same info being found on the focus page is enough to make me think twice about their claims. If you are not going to take the time to get your products pages descriptions and info accurate, then just how much time are you really going to spend getting the tuning right for each platform.

I guess it's just the anal perfectionist in me that keeps me skeptical of new products and their claims when they cannot/will not even get the description/info correct. I made a career of fixing cars for a living where if I did not fix it correctly the first time when I was being paid to do so and it came back for the same issue, I had to fix it again for free. So, I took the extra time and pride in doing the job right the first time and did not return the car to the customer until I was confident it was truly fixed.

As far as it adjusting to any upgrades by just a reflash makes no sense since the tune is hard written in the Cobb AP, reflashing will not change anything in the tune but likely only reset the OAR/KAM and adaptive learning back to square one. The ford tune learns your driving habits as you drive the car and you do not ever reflash the ford tune whether it's a stock tune or the FP tune.

I am not saying they are not well known or a good product but rather they are not well known in the mustang arena as of yet. I just need a lot more info and time to see if they do sell a good product, but not getting the products pages info accurate to me is off to a bad start.

Just my 0.2 cents worth.

BD

1 - 20 of 67 Posts