Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I couldn't take it any longer. I love my little Ecoboost Mustang but it is just TOO DANG SLOW to be a good daily driver. Just about a year ago I got the Cobb Access Port and bumped it up to the 93 octane tune and that was cute but it still needed more.

My Goal: I want to duplicate the MAP 501whp 2.3 Ecoboost build using MAP parts. They have some proven combinations so I see no reason to mix and match parts on my own.

EDIT 7-5-2019: Here is a list of what has been done to date
1) Cobb Access Port
2) Removed - MAP Intercooler (the small one)
2a) Installed - ETS Race Intercooler added June 2018
3) MAP Cold air intake (comes with MAP Turbo kit)
4) MAP Turbo Kit
5) MAP Catless Full Exhaust With Down Pipe (no resonators).
6) Cobb Accessport Unlimited Tunes By AdamTuned.com
7) Mishimoto Catch Can
8) Auxiliary Port Fuel Injection Kit added June 2018
9) Driveshaft Shop 800 HP axleshafts added June 2018
10) Driveshaft Shop 1 piece driveshaft added June 2018
11) Xtreme Clutch Twin Disc (Ceramic) added June 2018
12) TunePlus 2.3 Type-B Cylinder Head added July 2019
13) TunePlus 2.3L Short Block added July 2019
14) Snow Performance Stage 2.5 Boost Cooler addeed July 2019
15) Radium PCV Baffle Plate
16) Bluetooth Ethanol Content Sensor
17) UPR Catch Can
18) UPR Vertical Links
19) BMR Drag Race Lowering Sprint Kit
20) Hoosier Drag Radials

If you have question or comments please feel free to leave them here. All thoughts & experience are welcome.

Here is my car. It is a 2015 and is an absolute base model. No fancy stuff on this one so she is about as light as they come. I got it on the Ford Z plan for $22,280. To me that was a deal considering a Mustang GT can easily go for over $40,000.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Very cool, subscribed!

·
Registered
138 Posts
What are you doing for fueling?Pump gas will only get you to 380 or so whp with a stock fuel system. I believe MAP hit their 500whp number using ms109 Race gas on the stock fuel system.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What are you doing for fueling?Pump gas will only get you to 380 or so whp with a stock fuel system. I believe MAP hit their 500whp number using ms109 Race gas on the stock fuel system.
I sent a list of technical questions to MAP but have not received a response yet. One of the things that I asked for was a parts list for that 501whp number. If I have to put in an additional fuel management/delivery system to get to that 501whp mark then I'll do it. There are a couple of options on the market right now to get that done and they are bolt in parts as far as I can tell. Programming an auxiliary fuel management system would be the bigger task but there are probably folks out there that can help with that too. I'll get it figured out.

EDIT: Right now I'm having a bit of an issue chasing down the right tune for the Cobb Access Port for this parts combination. Still waiting on what MAP has to say. I may give up on eMail communication with them and just have to give them a call. They must be busy. Getting replies from them is tough. ....but they do ship parts fast!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Give them a call. They may be able to hook you up with one of the soon to be released HPFP's which will give enough headroom in the fuel system to max out the stock injectors.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Give them a call. They may be able to hook you up with one of the soon to be released HPFP's which will give enough headroom in the fuel system to max out the stock injectors.
Sorry... This whole 4 Cylinder/Turbo/Fuel Injected world is new to me. What is a(n) "HPFP's"?

·
Registered
82 Posts
High Pressure Fuel Pump. The biggest restriction after going with a turbo upgrade is the fuel system. Stock fuel pump can't flow enough gas to keep up with a big turbo so it limits the gains. Several hpfp are being released soon. Looks like they will be around $1500 unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
6,071 Posts
Just drop a big block in it. :D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
High Pressure Fuel Pump. The biggest restriction after going with a turbo upgrade is the fuel system. Stock fuel pump can't flow enough gas to keep up with a big turbo so it limits the gains. Several hpfp are being released soon. Looks like they will be around $1500 unfortunately.
That is pretty high for a fuel pump. Any idea what brands will be releasing them?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...ironically enough I do have a spare big block lying around.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That is pretty high for a fuel pump. Any idea what brands will be releasing them?
Livernois and RTR will have them out in the coming month or two and I heard Vargas Turbo Tech has one in the works as well. Yes its expensive but the HPFP pump upgrades are literally a 5 min install and a tune required to get 550 hp capable fuel system. Compare this to an AUX system which is a little cheaper but you have to install the injector hard parts, run wiring for the controller, Fuel lines, then tune not only the ECU but also the Controller. Really the cost savings from an Aux fuel system even out when you compare the two.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I Googled and read about the Livernois pump last night. I'll check out the RTR unit next. I think you are right. Putting in a new HPFP would be a much easier way to go with less of a chance of getting screwed up. From what I read the injectors them selves are the next power bottle neck in the fuel system followed by the in-tank pump that can only support about 475whp.

I'm still reading and learning how to do this so the comments & discussion this thread has generated has been very helpful to me. Thanks for speaking up.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot to mention that I heard from Adam Neujahr at MAP. He requested my Cobb AP serial number and I gave it to them. Hopefully this is in response for my request for a new tune map to go along with all of the new parts.

I have already received the cold air intake system, inter-cooler & upgraded charge piping kit. The cat-back exhaust system & down pipe have still not shipped yet. I think I'll probably try to put what I have on this weekend. None of the stuff says it requires a new tune but I'm thinking it can't hurt if they have one.

·
Super Moderator
6,071 Posts
Being as you're the fastest dude in the forum, I can fully see you understanding the help of tuning when changing engine parameters.

Go Fast, Chris!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thats funny! I'm kind of slow on the other site...

OK. Here we go... I'm about to fix a perfectly good running automobile and will spend a lot of money to do it. Damn this hot rod bug!!

Proof of existence:

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I got it all the new parts installed over the weekend but the car is not running yet because I had a problem with the kit. They gave me a vacuum line T-fitting to plug into an existing hose that I had to cut. The problem with that is the line the instructions say to cut was clearly a rubber/flexible vacuume line on their vehicle. That same line on my car is molded plastic that the T-fitting will not go into. And here is the real problem.... I cut the ine they said to cut then proceeded to figure out that the T-fitting will not go in it. This left me with a real problem that took me a couple of extra hours to fix. I ended up sanding the large ends of the T-fitting to ease the angle of the plastic ramp that guides the vacuum hose onto the T-fitting. This allowed me to slide the T-fitting ends into the hard plastic line. Once I got the T-fitting into the hard plastic lines I mixed up some JB Weld and coated the ends of the hard plastic lines & the T-fitting with it so when it dries it will all be one hard piece and I won't have to worry about the hard plastic lines popping off the T-fitting. Once I put the JB Weld on I just let it sit there to dry and didn't try to hook the vacuum back up. I will hook it all back up and take it for a ride tonight after I get home.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well I got it all the new parts installed over the weekend but the car is not running yet because I had a problem with the kit. They gave me a vacuum line T-fitting to plug into an existing hose that I had to cut. The problem with that is the line the instructions say to cut was clearly a rubber/flexible vacuume line on their vehicle. That same line on my car is molded plastic that the T-fitting will not go into. And here is the real problem.... I cut the ine they said to cut then proceeded to figure out that the T-fitting will not go in it. This left me with a real problem that took me a couple of extra hours to fix. I ended up sanding the large ends of the T-fitting to ease the angle of the plastic ramp that guides the vacuum hose onto the T-fitting. This allowed me to slide the T-fitting ends into the hard plastic line. Once I got the T-fitting into the hard plastic lines I mixed up some JB Weld and coated the ends of the hard plastic lines & the T-fitting with it so when it dries it will all be one hard piece and I won't have to worry about the hard plastic lines popping off the T-fitting. Once I put the JB Weld on I just let it sit there to dry and didn't try to hook the vacuum back up. I will hook it all back up and take it for a ride tonight after I get home.
The hard plastic lines are heat activated. I pulled mine off the car and used a heat gun to get them nice and hot and slid the the T-fitting into the plastic line. They also tend to tighten back up once cooled. I also use Crimp clamps on the fittings just to be safe. They are not something I'll have to take on and off regularly and like the cleaner look of them vs putting geared clamps all over the place.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I Googled and read about the Livernois pump last night. I'll check out the RTR unit next. I think you are right. Putting in a new HPFP would be a much easier way to go with less of a chance of getting screwed up. From what I read the injectors them selves are the next power bottle neck in the fuel system followed by the in-tank pump that can only support about 475whp.

I'm still reading and learning how to do this so the comments & discussion this thread has generated has been very helpful to me. Thanks for speaking up.
The HPFP is a huge limit. Low pressure pump is a cheap fix compared to the HPFP pump and works like any other standard FI pump. Betting a single Walbro 255lph pump would work on the low side. I've been logging and tuning my car with HP Tuners and was really surprised that the Injectors are only running at around 30% peak Duty cycle. so there is a lot of room left in the injectors.

1 - 20 of 333 Posts