Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

281 - 300 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
I was going to suggest this if Cyclone didn't. Not a perfect solution, but much better feel. Best 20 bucks you can spend.
Indeed it was ordered 15 minutes after I read the post.

With that said right now I really do have in my head how to launch the car with the clutch pedal as is. I hope the spring doesn't screw with my technique too much. I have watched the videos of my good launches so many times that the launch is now ingrained in my head. If it does feel WAY different I hope it is easy to pick up on easily. I'm sure it will be fine with a bit of practice. More pedal feel will be a welcome thing.

I got annoyed today trying to tie the shop I'm using to do the work "Dynosty" & Adam Brunson together to get the remote tuning done. I sent them an eMail and told them to figure out their schedules and let me know what dates they decide on. I was going back and forth with eMails between them and I got sick of being the middle man. I'm paying WAY too much to the both of them to have to coordinate the dyno dates. Adam was fine and straight forward. It was the shop I was having trouble pulling open dates from. I gave up. They don't get paid until it's done so I'm sure they will figure it out soon.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Indeed it was ordered 15 minutes after I read the post.

With that said right now I really do have in my head how to launch the car with the clutch pedal as is. I hope the spring doesn't screw with my technique too much. I have watched the videos of my good launches so many times that the launch is now ingrained in my head. If it does feel WAY different I hope it is easy to pick up on easily. I'm sure it will be fine with a bit of practice. More pedal feel will be a welcome thing.

I got annoyed today trying to tie the shop I'm using to do the work "Dynosty" & Adam Brunson together to get the remote tuning done. I sent them an eMail and told them to figure out their schedules and let me know what dates they decide on. I was going back and forth with eMails between them and I got sick of being the middle man. I'm paying WAY too much to the both of them to have to coordinate the dyno dates. Adam was fine and straight forward. It was the shop I was having trouble pulling open dates from. I gave up. They don't get paid until it's done so I'm sure they will figure it out soon.
I think you’ll do just fine with the spring. All it really does is take the vagueness away from the start down to where the throw out bearing starts to engage. You can feel the free play more if that makes sense. And since you won’t have the stiffer spring to help, clutch press overall may feel a touch stiffer. I think you’ll like it though. Worse case scenario you can always switch back and be out a 20 dollar bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
August 1st is the official date of the first tuning session. I'm a little disappointed that it won't happen sooner but as long as I get everything done a week or two before Drag Week I should be OK. I'd like to take the car to Ohio Valley prior to Drag Week just do I don't have to practice driving the car for the fist time on the starting line at Drag Week.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
Any news??
Yes... And not great news. They couldn't get it to idle & run on the initial tune map last Thursday so no 92 octane tune yet. It has to be software/tune file related. The car started, idled & drove just fine on the base startup-break in tune file. I should have more news soon. I'm confident they will figure it out but I am starting to lose sleep over it. Like I said the engine sounds perfect on the initial break in tune. Hopefully I'll have more news soon.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
I'm bribing the car home tomorrow. I have lost all faith in Dynosty. They have no ability to diagnose & solve problems. All they are doing at this point is charging me. I'm done with that.

I may not make it to Drag Week.

Here is the issue. It starts & runs fine but will stall sporadically. After it stalls it will start up again. That is all I know right now. I'll know more after I have it in my hands for a while. Adam at Adam tuned doesn't physically have the car so he can't help much.

I'm thinking it is going to be a back to the basics issue. It only takes spark, fuel & air to run. One of those is getting cut off. I'll know more after i have it.

You guys have any ideas?

I have spent a TON of money on this project but I'm not going to get discouraged because Dynosty has dropped the ball. It may not make it to Drag Week but it will be worth it in the end. This is just a bump in the road on the hot rod highway. It sucks but...oh well. Just have to keep moving forward.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
you guys have any ideas?
I think you're on the right track. Let's rule out air, as I'm sure you'd be able to diagnose a pressure leak somewhere (at least on startup and initial revs?). So that really leaves spark & fuel. You have a complete new fuel line with the Radium, no?? Not to mention a new PCV kit. There is something happening on the tune, where the ECU is not able to figure out the right mixture after some time, and cuts off. I'd monitor AFR while the car was running. From reading your thread, it seems like you were paying good money and the shop just straight up dropped the ball.

If all parts are 'installed' to the best of your knowledge, I'd probably opt myself to work with Adam and send him whatever logs he needed (startup, running, when the engine cuts) to get this figured out.

Let him inspect and try and clarify that maybe there is something physically wrong (injectors, pump, coils, etc) from looking at the tune and logs first.

·
Registered
216 Posts
So it runs fine on the initial file but not on the new tune file? I assume the r4 is completely unplugged since you are working with 92 for now so that shouldn't be causing issues. Do you have methanol injection installed?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
So it runs fine on the initial file but not on the new tune file? I assume the r4 is completely unplugged since you are working with 92 for now so that shouldn't be causing issues. Do you have methanol injection installed?

Yes. The methanol injection is installed. It was tested when installed but there is nothing currently in the tank. ....so I was told.

I didn't have a chance to do anything with it yesterday. I did pick it up, put it on a trailer & haul it home. I then got everything put in the barn the way it needs to be so I can work on it (and the other on going project) at the same time.

When putting it on & off the trailer & started & ran fine. It has a deeper tone than it did before. The motor has more of a "grumble" to it and their is more vibration. I say this all in a good way. It is not missing when it is running. You can just tell it is a bit of a hotter motor in there due to the new cams.

I did hook up my AccessPort to my home computer last night and it said there was an update for it so I did that. I'm going to get the first tune file from Adam again and get it loaded back into the car to replicate the problem. Who knows... Maybe the Cobb update last night will fix it but I kind of doubt it.

When it is sitting there idling the engine will sometimes rev up a bit and then back down. It is almost like the computer is sitting there learning. It never did this before but like I said it has the break in tune loaded in now so I'm not really sure what to expect. I have nothing to do tonight when I get home except screw with this. I'll try to give an update tonight when done if I'm not out there too late.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know it's a long shot, but your symptoms sound like you might not have enough preload on your BOV piston for your initial tune. You might try turning the cap clockwise one-two full turns, give the car a quick rev and see if the stumbling/dying improves and adjust from there.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #294 (Edited)
Any news ?
Sorry guys.. No news yet. I went down with the flu on Thursday and I'm just now coming back among the living. Adam sent a different tune file for me to try along with some other instructions. I intend on doing that tonight although I got the new tune file & instructions last Thursday. I'll get out there tonight & report back what I find.

I know it's a long shot, but your symptoms sound like you might not have enough preload on your BOV piston for your initial tune. You might try turning the cap clockwise one-two full turns, give the car a quick rev and see if the stumbling/dying improves and adjust from there.
I would try this if the car ran at 500 RPM's all the time but it will idle perfectly and then all of a sudden just drop to 500 RPM. The computer is doing something... If the BOV was letting out air all the time I would have heard it under there already anyway. Thanks for the thought though.

I'll take a video of what it is doing tonight & post it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry guys.. No news yet. I went down with the flu on Thursday and I'm just now coming back among the living. Adam sent a different tune file for me to try along with some other instructions. I intend on doing that tonight although I got the new tune file & instructions last Thursday. I'll get out there tonight & report back what I find.

I would try this if the car ran at 500 RPM's all the time but it will idle perfectly and then all of a sudden just drop to 500 RPM. The computer is doing something... If the BOV was letting out air all the time I would have heard it under there already anyway. Thanks for the thought though.

I'll take a video of what it is doing tonight & post it.

With too little preload, your idle would be the same or likely a little higher and would sporadically stumble and drop, especially after a load or free rev. It would be exaggerated with a tune that modifies the throttle mapping. That is why it sounds suspicious to me, since it idled fine with the break in tune and now shows these symptoms.

I backed my BOV cap out 4 turns and snapped a quick video to show as a demonstration. Is yours doing anything like this?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
With too little preload, your idle would be the same or likely a little higher and would sporadically stumble and drop, especially after a load or free rev. It would be exaggerated with a tune that modifies the throttle mapping. That is why it sounds suspicious to me, since it idled fine with the break in tune and now shows these symptoms.

I backed my BOV cap out 4 turns and snapped a quick video to show as a demonstration. Is yours doing anything like this?

No. I will post a video tonight. It will sit there and idle just fine with my foot off the gas. It will then drop to 500 RPM. If I give it gas it will come back. If I do nothing it just sits there and does that until it dies. The computer is doing something to make this happen.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Man, that really sucks. Have you loaded your new tune file and tried it out yet? Is your tuner looking over your idle logs?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Kinda sounds like the computer is cutting fuel for some reason. Just a guess. Not sure how you could check that though to be sure. A sudden change in AFR?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
Kinda sounds like the computer is cutting fuel for some reason. Just a guess. Not sure how you could check that though to be sure. A sudden change in AFR?
Well we do know that when it does it the fuel trim is peaking at 28. This is the highest reading there is for that. The car is trying to pull fuel when it happens but for some reason it isn't getting it. This is all at idle only. If I put my foot on the gas it will rev & the dying will go away for 5 to 10 seconds then it starts all over again if my foot is off the gas.

Man, that really sucks. Have you loaded your new tune file and tried it out yet? Is your tuner looking over your idle logs?
No. I was going to last night but still didn't feel that great. I'm feeling much better today and it is a beautiful day outside. I'll definitely get it done tonight.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
Here is a video of what it is doing:

281 - 300 of 334 Posts