Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

301 - 320 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Check this out:
I probably should have said this but that was the first thing the shop tried. A new low pressure fuel sensor was installed along with the vapor hose.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Here is a video of what it is doing:

If you make another one of these videos, could you click your center display to gauge mode? I'm wondering what the AFR is doing.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
If you make another one of these videos, could you click your center display to gauge mode? I'm wondering what the AFR is doing.
I can do that tomorrow night. Adam told me that the factory gauges have lag. The Accessport gauges are live real time. I'll try to get that in the video instead.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can do that tomorrow night. Adam told me that the factory gauges have lag. The Accessport gauges are live real time. I'll try to get that in the video instead.
i agree with Sarge. I'm particularly interested in the vacuum gauge. Luckily, they will both display on the same screen.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
I let the car sit overnight with the battery unhooked. This morning I hooked the battery back up and then proceeded to drive it about 20 miles. The longer I drove it the better the car got. At the end when pulling in the driveway STFT was around -3. When I was pulling out of the driveway it was between -17 & -24 while occasionally pegging on 28.12 briefly a few times.

The car did briefly pop a Check Engine Light that I cleared referencing low voltage on an oxygen sensor #2. So perhaps if it is anything it will be a screwed up oxygen sensor while the car is trying to learn a fuel map after having the ECU flashed. I'll continue to keep you guys posted. This is frustrating but I think I'm gettng close...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the update. Sounds promising! That be awesome if all it is the pcm learning the new maps...just in time for Mustang Week!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Well I finally have a definitive answer... The timing was not set correctly. I bought the tool kit to check the timing and sure enought... The crank pulley was not set right.

That is as far as I have gotten today. I'll have to re-align the crank pulley & put everything back together. I am/was supposed to leave for Drag Week a week from Saturday. I still have a shot at making this!! I may not be fully tuned on race gas but if I can get it under it''s own power on 93 octane I'm going on a road trip!!!

...I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Damn, I would've sent you mine to borrow. I almost mentioned checking timing but I assumed it was fine since the shop did the work. If you need any advice with doing the job let me know. Glad you found a prospective solution to your problems.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
Damn, I would've sent you mine to borrow. I almost mentioned checking timing but I assumed it was fine since the shop did the work. If you need any advice with doing the job let me know. Glad you found a prospective solution to your problems.
I appreciate that. It will go into the "Specialty Tool" cabinet with a few others.
It seems that getting the crank pulley on correctly can be challenging on these motors. I found a set of videos that describes how to time these motors & the mistakes that are often made. No it is not our turbo motor in the video but it is the same design more or less. He also references the difference between the turbo & N/A motors. He is long winded but it is very good detailed info. I found Part 2 most helpful. It was the "What can go wrong" video. VERY helpful. Enjoy & stay tuned...

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Well the car is all back together. And I must say I did a DAMN GOOD job (total pain in the a$$). The timing is now set correctly but the car was still not running good. I then found out that when you adjust any timing component you have to put the car back to the stock tune and do a "Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction" (Crank Relearn) procedure to tell the computer how to keep track of where the crank is in it's rotation. FOR F*&K SAKE!! ...I'm never going to get this thing going. And the real punchline is this cannot be done with a Cobb AccessPort. It is done by the dealer or a higher end SNAP-ON or MAC scan tool that costs thousands. ....did I mention FOR F*&K SAKE..??..??..!!!!

Thanks for the therapy.... Stay tuned.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I never did any kind of procedure like that on mine, for whatever that's worth. The crank position sensor is adjustable, did you use the tool to align it properly? Mine always hunts for idle right after flashing it and settles in after a minute or so, for reference.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
I never did any kind of procedure like that on mine, for whatever that's worth. The crank position sensor is adjustable, did you use the tool to align it properly? Mine always hunts for idle right after flashing it and settles in after a minute or so, for reference.
I don't think you had to because yours was always correct. You put it back on the same way it came out. The ECU does have a little swing in it. Meaning if the crank pulley isn't exactly in the same spot the computer can compensate for it and still run fine. But the swing is very limited and the crank pulley can't be off by very much at all. Mine was off by almost a half inch and the ECU was freaked out. The shop I had the motor swapped at did the crank relearn after they swapped my motor (as per Ford guidelines) with the crank pulley in the wrong position so now I have to do another relearn with the crank pulley in the correct position. If the shop had never of done the relearn at all I suspect I would be fine. I think they did the relearn trying to fix it because the car wasn't running right not realizing they had the crank pulley off.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ah yes that makes perfect sense knowing they did the procedure before the timing was corrected by you. In theory you should be able to adjust the CPS by that much but that's not the ideal solution.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
Sorry guys.. It's sitting in my barn next to Mustang #1. I got disgusted with it and parked it for a while. My next adventure will be to take the throttle body off and try to clean it along with the idle air control mechanism. I'll probably get to that tomorrow. I have been traveling for the last few weeks and have not done anything. Plus like I said I got disgusted with the whole thing when it became evident that I would not make it to Hot Rod Drag Week with it this year. A total bummer...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry guys.. It's sitting in my barn next to Mustang #1. I got disgusted with it and parked it for a while. My next adventure will be to take the throttle body off and try to clean it along with the idle air control mechanism. I'll probably get to that tomorrow. I have been traveling for the last few weeks and have not done anything. Plus like I said I got disgusted with the whole thing when it became evident that I would not make it to Hot Rod Drag Week with it this year. A total bummer...
Bummer!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Did you get the relearn procedure done? I can't remember if this has been mentioned but what catch can setup do you have and are all of the check valves installed the correct direction?

301 - 320 of 334 Posts