Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I was having bad 2nd lockout issues and when cold, grinding. I changed fluid to BG Syncro II. And upgraded to a braided clutch line. Shifts became much smoother. Not a single 2nd lockout. But and a big but. Now i have other issues. 2nd will now randomly jump out. Like if im in 2nd looking for a parking spot or sometimes coming to a stop. It will grind when it does. Sometimes going in it won't fully engage and grind unless i hold back firmly into second. This is different than the spongey feeling i had previous to the upgrades once past spongey it would go in. Now it won't without firm pressure until fully engaged and will hold only under acceleration if cruising will pop out. Only 17k miles on car.

My question. Could this be a shifter adjustment issue or something inside? Think ford will try to get out of warranty over a braided cable? Or because of the FP tune?

I know technically they can not under magnuson moss but they sure could try. I have never raced, tracked or dragged and only maybe 6 0-60 pulls and those have been a long while back.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I cannot comment on anything, but I have BG SS2 fluid as well, with none of those issues. I have to deviate and say, it very well could be the other variable, the braided clutch line. If you didn't experience any of the issues before the clutch braid upgrade with the fluid.

id point my finger at the last mod.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i had issues with second. Lockouts and not fully engaging with grinding unless i waited until the spongey feeling went away. Now no spongey no lockouts. But grinding and jumping out. Linkage always seems to rattle when going to second also from 1-2 and 3-2 before and after upgrades

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Can you put an oem line back on, then take to dealer? I wouldn’t want that to be “blamed”

fluid they’d never know what’s in it, even so bg is approved

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
That's weird. Did you change anything to the shifter itself? Short throw or mount replacement?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Not a thing. Been wanting to change the shifter to a mgw or Barton but haven't yet mainly for this reason.
That's really weird. I can't imagine oil having that kind of effect. After you filled it and drove a while, did you recheck the oil level?

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
788 Posts
Check the master Cylinder common problem of one of the small hoses coming off on the side. Needs securing with a zip tie. Could be as simple as that

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So... Today i jacked the car up and looked at the shifter everything looks good and feels tight (don't know why i get linkage rattle at times then) had wife pump clutch all lines look good no flex pulse or movement/leaks. No problems and shifts like butter when sitting still and engine on. All issues happen when cruising.

Only thing left is some internal issue.

Off to the dealer next week.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So... I was having bad 2nd lockout issues and when cold, grinding. I changed fluid to BG Syncro II. And upgraded to a braided clutch line. Shifts became much smoother. Not a single 2nd lockout. But and a big but. Now i have other issues. 2nd will now randomly jump out. Like if im in 2nd looking for a parking spot or sometimes coming to a stop. It will grind when it does. Sometimes going in it won't fully engage and grind unless i hold back firmly into second. This is different than the spongey feeling i had previous to the upgrades once past spongey it would go in. Now it won't without firm pressure until fully engaged and will hold only under acceleration if cruising will pop out. Only 17k miles on car.

My question. Could this be a shifter adjustment issue or something inside? Think ford will try to get out of warranty over a braided cable? Or because of the FP tune?

I know technically they can not under magnuson moss but they sure could try. I have never raced, tracked or dragged and only maybe 6 0-60 pulls and those have been a long while back.
Make sure if you have the dealership look at it you contact your local customer service team which is easy to locate on the ford site. They will provide you with a case number which they can track in the system. If the dealer opens the casing they charge $175 just to pull the transmission and clutch assembly apart. They typically will blame you for everything so get ready. Manual transmission setups are easy for the dealer to disregard as driver poorly shifting or spirited driving. Once they check everything out they will probably quote you $3,000+ for the entire job and say we have to change your clutch assembly probably even the flywheel which they will say can't be resurfaced so get ready to hear the price I mentioned. Oh and if you blame the MT82 transmission they will "run" your VIN and say its not reported under the VIN number.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Make sure if you have the dealership look at it you contact your local customer service team which is easy to locate on the ford site. They will provide you with a case number which they can track in the system. If the dealer opens the casing they charge $175 just to pull the transmission and clutch assembly apart. They typically will blame you for everything so get ready. Manual transmission setups are easy for the dealer to disregard as driver poorly shifting or spirited driving. Once they check everything out they will probably quote you $3,000+ for the entire job and say we have to change your clutch assembly probably even the flywheel which they will say can't be resurfaced so get ready to hear the price I mentioned. Oh and if you blame the MT82 transmission they will "run" your VIN and say its not reported under the VIN number.
Yeah, i know dealerships. Main reason why i have been putting it off. Also know how to fight them and start sighting magnuson and attorney generals office with ftc. That gets some pull as they have to prove their side on a single report. Done it before. The MT82 is also under a class action which can help. But in the end i may personally bullet proof it myself anyways.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah, i know dealerships. Main reason why i have been putting it off. Also know how to fight them and start sighting magnuson and attorney generals office with ftc. That gets some pull as they have to prove their side on a single report. Done it before. The MT82 is also under a class action which can help. But in the end i may personally bullet proof it myself anyways.
Everything I mentioned above happen to me and ford did the out of warranty repair.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everything I mentioned above happen to me and ford did the out of warranty repair.
Won't get a dime out of me. If i absolutely have to. I will pull and rebuild it myself. No biggie just a manual. Already debating it and upgrading internals while at it. I just don't really have the time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Won't get a dime out of me. If i absolutely have to. I will pull and rebuild it myself. No biggie just a manual. Already debating it and upgrading internals while at it. I just don't really have the time.
I totally understand time is difficult to find. Luckily I have a workhorse car as my back up so I was patient with FORD and also was not going to fork over butt loads of money on a weekend toy. They were reasonable considering my warranty expired but like you I only had like 27000 miles so it was just the right thing to do. They offered to put some better performance parts in for a premium charge but I told them just put in the factory parts as I am still paying off the credit line. I rather FORD get back what they gave if I default for any reason.

·
Registered
72 Posts
27k? Warranty is good for 60k supposedly. Im only 17k
Well remember the 5 yr rule. This is why you want to involve customer care since they can override the 5 yr limitation of the warranty case by case. It never hurts to involve FORD as they usually take external situations into account. COVID has robbed an entire year from us so take into account they may extend the warranty case by case or cover a percentage of the cost leaving you to pay a smaller out of pocket on the repair.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well remember the 5 yr rule. This is why you want to involve customer care since they can override the 5 yr limitation of the warranty case by case. It never hurts to involve FORD as they usually take external situations into account. COVID has robbed an entire year from us so take into account they may extend the warranty case by case or cover a percentage of the cost leaving you to pay a smaller out of pocket on the repair.
Ahh. Mines a year old so still within time frame.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts