Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last couple years at Petit Lemans it surprised me that there was no Mustang Car Corral. There is one for Porsche and Vette, and will be one for electric performance cars this year. I emailed my contact at Road Atlanta to inquire how one goes about getting a corral. Will let you know what I find out.

I was at the Watkins Glen "replacement" 6 hour endurance race this past weekend at Road Atlanta. Free infield parking. For those considering attending Petit Lemans, they will have free infield parking for that as well. Usually $65. Access there blows my mind. Almost no one there. Granted, there was no fan zone and paddock was closed, but we drove the infield and watched from EVERY corner.

I grew up on IMSA (Watkins Glen and Lime Rock) and now passing that on to my two sons, 13 and 11.

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
I think car corrals kinda come and go depending on the year. It's usually up to a car club or something to generate enough interest in going. Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't. Except corvettes. Always seems to be corvettes ha. At least ya got to go somewhere, so that's good. I've been to watkins glen every year for something in my 30 years existence, except this year. The imsa 6 hour is my favorite vacation of the year. I gotta check if beerfest is still on (doubt it). May be my only chance of going to the track this year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think Beer Fest got cancelled for this year. I used to go there in the 70s and Beer Fest was called The Bog! Anyway, I missed getting our trip to CNY this year and finally getting to drive my EB around The Glen. Was looking forward to giving the Michelin Pilot tires a workout. I have had the car a year next week and driven 3,000 miles. I work from home now so no where to go. Questioning the wisdom of keeping it at this point.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Not surprised at all that it's cancelled. Hopefully next year will be better. Don't give up on your eco just yet, I'm sure your boys enjoy it. I know my dad is the one that got me into cars and racing. It was before my time, but my dad was there for the bog years. He was there for the bus burning incident ('74ish I'm guessing?). I've seen some of the pictures he has. I ran my mustang there last April for opening weekend on the new surface. It was a blast. A little cold, so I didn't push real hard but did hit triple digits through the esses into the back straight. That place definitely has a special spot in both me and my dad's hearts. It's something we enjoy together. Hopefully you can continue with your boys as well!

Reactions: LostSAAB

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not surprised at all that it's cancelled. Hopefully next year will be better. Don't give up on your eco just yet, I'm sure your boys enjoy it. I know my dad is the one that got me into cars and racing. It was before my time, but my dad was there for the bog years. He was there for the bus burning incident ('74ish I'm guessing?). I've seen some of the pictures he has. I ran my mustang there last April for opening weekend on the new surface. It was a blast. A little cold, so I didn't push real hard but did hit triple digits through the esses into the back straight. That place definitely has a special spot in both me and my dad's hearts. It's something we enjoy together. Hopefully you can continue with your boys as well!
Wise words - much appreciated. Well, your dad and I were same weekend for the bus burning. Your, memory serves you well, it was '74. Massive crowd as that was the year Fittipaldi clinched the World Championship there. We camped near the start finish (it was wooded then) and we got driven from our campsite when the police tear gassed the crowd
Saturday night. .

I hope to get to blast my car around there - must have been fun.

Our Petit Lemans tickets arrived.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Wise words - much appreciated. Well, your dad and I were same weekend for the bus burning. Your, memory serves you well, it was '74. Massive crowd as that was the year Fittipaldi clinched the World Championship there. We camped near the start finish (it was wooded then) and we got driven from our campsite when the police tear gassed the crowd
Saturday night. .

I hope to get to blast my car around there - must have been fun.

Our Petit Lemans tickets arrived.
Awesome! As a kid, we always camped along the inside fence on the back stretch. My dad and I are headed up Sunday now, actually. They decided to do the charity laps this weekend. I'll have to remember to get some pictures. I always get caught up in the moment and forget ha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts