Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve got EcoBoost manual 2015 I’ve changed the gearbox once, and after installing a new (used) gearbox I have this type of issue it’s sometimes hard to put a car in reverse or in first gear without too much force, I found a workaround that first I just move gearbox to second or first ( which is easier ) and then putting it in reverse here’s a video included any ideas what it can be? I didn't check the oil yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As you can see after putting the gear in 1st gear and other gears, after that it normally goes in reverse, but without that you need a lot of force to do so.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm an A10. However, I have had lots of manuals over the years. I can't tell you if this box has a synchronized reverse, many new boxes do, however, your method of going to first (typically) or second and then reverse is not an unusual cure for getting into reverse with a non-synchro gear. I suppose the other option, if just starting the car, would be to put it into reverse prior to starting. I'm sure others with the manual will chime in if this is an unusual issue or can suggest a cure (which may be a simple fluid change).

·
Registered
1 Posts
It happens all the time not only at start of the car, but there are 50/50 if it will happen when car is already hot.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
While I cant speak to the MT82 trans on the Mustang, I have a Honda with a manual transmission. I have experienced a similar issue where the transmission sometimes doesnt want to go into 1st gear and have to slide it into 2nd gear before it will shift into 1st gear. Others have said that reverse gear usually does not have a synchro and this will make it shift into reverse at times.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Never had this on my 2019 but had a plethora of other problems especially with 2nd. First time I backed out of a parking spot in my 2021 I had this exact same issue and randomly since on rare occasions have it with 1st also. I tend to think it has something to do with the floating shifter and its alignment.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That's not so much a problem with the transmission as it may be with the Clutch not fully releasing. When you poke it into another gear before putting it in reverse, the synchros stop the clutch plate from turning the gears in the transmission. If the clutch plate is still spinning from sticking to either the flywheel or the pressure plate, the spinning input shaft will cause the gears to clash when you stick it into reverse because there are no synchros on the reverse gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts