Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a new proud owner of a 19 Mustang Ecoboost. I saw a thread on here posted by someone else about handling and the rain. I was out driving this morning, first experience I might add driving in wet conditions. It actually wasn't raining but rained earlier and the roads were still wet. I was going about 30mph and went on a slight turn (this roads speed limit is actually 45mph), and the front end of the car slide out and I had to slow down even more in order to continue through the turn.

Previously I was a Fusion owner and never had these issues yet this is a different type of car RWD, not FWD and so forth I understand. Yet I did a lot of reading and discovered it could be due to my tires. I currently have Goodyear 235/50R18 tires, they might be the 'Eagle' ones but not actually sure at the moment. I would think that if I'm not applying gas and going around a turn at a reasonable speed I should be fine but it just slides.

I am curious do you guys have similar issues with the ecoboost? Is there a better tire I should be looking for? Any help would be appreciated. :)

I really do enjoy the car but I planned on using it as a daily commuter. Yet if it's like this every time it rains I'm going to upset a lot of people by driving way under the speed limit lol.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hello,

I'm a new proud owner of a 19 Mustang Ecoboost. I saw a thread on here posted by someone else about handling and the rain. I was out driving this morning, first experience I might add driving in wet conditions. It actually wasn't raining but rained earlier and the roads were still wet. I was going about 30mph and went on a slight turn (this roads speed limit is actually 45mph), and the front end of the car slide out and I had to slow down even more in order to continue through the turn.

Previously I was a Fusion owner and never had these issues yet this is a different type of car RWD, not FWD and so forth I understand. Yet I did a lot of reading and discovered it could be due to my tires. I currently have Goodyear 235/50R18 tires, they might be the 'Eagle' ones but not actually sure at the moment. I would think that if I'm not applying gas and going around a turn at a reasonable speed I should be fine but it just slides.

I am curious do you guys have similar issues with the ecoboost? Is there a better tire I should be looking for? Any help would be appreciated. :)

I really do enjoy the car but I planned on using it as a daily commuter. Yet if it's like this every time it rains I'm going to upset a lot of people by driving way under the speed limit lol.
RWD cars have a tendency to fishtail especially in wet conditions. The IRS on the S550 platform helps prevent this to a degree but FWD cars will always handle better in wet conditions as they don't tend to fishtail. Tires will definitely make all the difference in handling. I've got sumitomo all seasons and they handle well but I still tend to fishtail a little on wet roads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't feel this is a fishtail though. It's the front wheels sliding. The back doesn't slide out nor do I spin the tires. I just kept it at an extremely slow speed. Yet I heard others saying how well it handled for a RWD car and I'm thinking it could be a tires issue. Just not sure.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I don't feel this is a fishtail though. It's the front wheels sliding. The back doesn't slide out nor do I spin the tires. I just kept it at an extremely slow speed. Yet I heard others saying how well it handled for a RWD car and I'm thinking it could be a tires issue. Just not sure.
That's definitely a good place to start. I've sorta come to accept that the Mustang will never be a performance car for wet conditions. With my setup it handles extremely well on dry roads. You could also look at beefier sway bars and coilovers. The car handles well from the factory but if you drive it hard you will quickly find he limits of the stock suspension. Tire rack would be a good place to research tires.

·
Super Moderator
3,212 Posts
I'm going to agree with the OP. If you're seeing understeer in the rain, the first thing to look at is the tires, followed by the alignment.

·
Registered
2018 Premium Fastback
57 Posts
Hello,

Sounds like we may have the same tires (235/50R18 Goodyear Eagle). Mine is my daily, and we get a lot of rain where I live. I've never had an issue with the front. Just fishtailing. Although my commute is all straight roads, and 90 degree turns.

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
162 Posts
With brand new Cooper 285 fronts & 325 rears, mine becomes a hovercraft. Esp nerve wracking on worn in roads with those tracks/channels that fill up! Going straight takes real concentration. Luckily I don't tend to get caught in the rain much here in AZ.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hello,

Congratulations on the new mustang! The OEM tires that Ford fits to the eco mustang, especially the Pirellis and Goodyear’s do not like wet and/or cold roads, I’ve experienced the front sliding the same as you, and was not driving fast or agressively. Scared me a bit, because if the front end slides there’s NO control. The only “fix“ is upgrading to a better tire.
I put Nitto Invo tires on the front and that cured the problem for me.

·
Registered
716 Posts
You're describing a "push", which I have not experienced with my car (on OEM P Zero Nero 235/50-18). Check your pressures and make sure they are as per the door panel, as large variations in pressure between the tires can affect handling.

·
Registered
909 Posts
With brand new Cooper 285 fronts & 325 rears, mine becomes a hovercraft. Esp nerve wracking on worn in roads with those tracks/channels that fill up! Going straight takes real concentration. Luckily I don't tend to get caught in the rain much here in AZ.
Weird. I have the same package. I've never had an issue with hydroplaning. I thought they were much better than stock. Maybe different alignments or pressures, who knows.

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
162 Posts
Running 31-33psi. No apparent alignment issues as far as I can tell. OEM 255/40-19s had no issues. Figured it's like snow tires, narrower puts more weight per square inch and cuts through easier. Anyways, very rarely something I need to deal with?

Reactions: JAKE

·
Read Only
246 Posts
Front wheels sliding with new tires, going slow, no matter how bad the tires are, is not normal. You either have an alignment issue, or the road was covered with oil.....

·
Registered
628 Posts
I agree with @zhent, look at tires first, then alignment. When I was running the OEM Pirelli P Zero tires, I had problems with fishtail and occasionally with front push if the roads had an oil film after a light rain. Once I swapped out to my Firestone Firehawk Indy tires, those problems no longer exist. Of course, my suspension upgrades and alignment had a mitigating effect also.

Reactions: zhent

·
Read Only
282 Posts
I've also never had an issue with the front pushing in the rain. The back will kick out with too much throttle like any rwd ca.

I'd start with tires, almost sounds like they are over inflated. As others said check alignment too, you should still be able to take corners at decent speed even when wet in this car. Assuming everything is in working order.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Got mine slightly used as well with the stock Goodyears on it. Apparently the previous owner used up all the Good in the Goodyears. New Cooper tires of the same size and it's a totally different car rain or shine! Factory tires are just barely good enough to get the cars off the showroom floor! (as long as the showroom floor isn't wet o_O)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@KewlWinter what suspension upgrades did you do? Just curious...

I wouldn't think there would be any issues with alignment since it's a brand new car. It only had 20 miles on it. I mean I guess it could be bad from factory but I wouldn't think.

It is around 30 degrees in the mornings for me so I'm wondering if maybe the tire pressure isn't good as on the display reads 30-31. Whether that display is to be trusted is unknown. I will check that this weekend.

Another thing to add is the car is a 2019 and has been on the lot for a bit so it does have a flat spot on the tires which could also be my problem. The dealer is replacing them under warranty so regardless I'm getting new tires. I figure I will just let the dealership keep the replacements and pay the difference if there is any.

I was looking at the Continental Extremecontact DWS 06's.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Steeda IRS Cradle Alignment Dowels, Steeda Vertical Links, BMR Cradle Lock Kit, BMR Jacking Rails, FP Toe/Knucle Bearings, Steeda Lower Control Arm Bearings, Steeda Adjustable Toe Links, FP Track Struts/Shocks, Eibach Sportline Springs, Steeda Billet Bearing Shock Mount, Pedders Sway Bars, Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates, Steeda Front Lower Arms Tension/Lateral w/Bearings. Steeda Bump Stop Kit, FP Strut Tower Brace & K-Brace, and an aggressive alignment.

·
Registered
570 Posts

I wouldn't think there would be any issues with alignment since it's a brand new car. It only had 20 miles on it. I mean I guess it could be bad from factory but I wouldn't think.

It is around 30 degrees in the mornings for me so I'm wondering if maybe the tire pressure isn't good as on the display reads 30-31. Whether that display is to be trusted is unknown. I will check that this weekend.

Another thing to add is the car is a 2019 and has been on the lot for a bit so it does have a flat spot on the tires which could also be my problem. The dealer is replacing them under warranty so regardless I'm getting new tires. I figure I will just let the dealership keep the replacements and pay the difference if there is any.

I was looking at the Continental Extremecontact DWS 06's.
1.Being a new car doesn’t mean that the alignment is good, they pop these puppies out pretty quickly. Ford trucks are notorious for the alignment being off a bit, and because they are heavy, tire wear shows pretty quickly.
2.30 deg is going to cause any “performance“ tire to behave poorly.
3.Upgrading the suspension with crappy tires still leaves you with crappy tires...my Pirellis pushed even worse with coilovers and other suspension upgrades, while waiting for my new tires to arrive.

·
Registered
909 Posts
1.Being a new car doesn’t mean that the alignment is good, they pop these puppies out pretty quickly. Ford trucks are notorious for the alignment being off a bit, and because they are heavy, tire wear shows pretty quickly.
2.30 deg is going to cause any “performance“ tire to behave poorly.
3.Upgrading the suspension with crappy tires still leaves you with crappy tires...my Pirellis pushed even worse with coilovers and other suspension upgrades, while waiting for my new tires to arrive.
Bingo. Poor quality tires in cold temps is probably going to be a big part of it. And alignments can be off as stated. Especially the rear without the alignment dowels. Potential for a lot of slop in the rear. I wouldn't think the front would be as bad, but you never know.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Speaking to the point of factory alignment, the first IRS upgrade I installed on my wife's car was the Steeda Alignment Bushings for the cradle. We noticed that the wheels/tires in the rear didn't have the same gap to the fender side to side before I put them in. When I did go to install them, I had to loosen all four of the cradle bolts to get it on center where the bushings would go in. On my 2018, after only 3k miles on the odometer, my rear tires were already showing signs of abnormal wear and the rear end loved to dance on concrete highway surfaces. I will never trust a factory alignment again, and it will consider it bad at mile zero on the odometer.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts