Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the Pirelli Pzero's and they like hot weather and hot streets and handle really well in those conditions,i'm in Orlando fl and we mostly have that weather but we do get a cold temp every now and then and I have to be much more careful during those temp dips... but for the most part the Pirelli's have done me well i'm sure there is other brands that are avail but I will say Ford does a lot of testing with different tire brands and they pick the best avail … I was schooled by engineers in Dearborn and attended there tire tech school but that was many many years ago and tire engineering has changed along with configurations so my best answer is listen to the people on these community's they do the tire proofing and test driving for whatever conditions they live in … vince

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So essentially what is happening is I guess theres a lot of understeer. It seems to happen on wet roads very easily even when only going 20-30mph around a bend. Is this normal? It still seems to happen very easily.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm a professional rain driver. I live near Seattle and it rains all the frickin time except August. I hate my PZero's but the only issue I have with them when it's wet is the rear end breaking loose on sharp corners when I jump on it. Michelin Pilot Sports are next as soon as I can wear these 0's out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
For my understeer problem it seems a good thing to do is to replace the front/rear sway bar. Mainly the rear for understeer. Is this something you guys all have done on yours and could it be why you guys dont have the issue as much?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
For my understeer problem it seems a good thing to do is to replace the front/rear sway bar. Mainly the rear for understeer. Is this something you guys all have done on yours and could it be why you guys dont have the issue as much?
That will definitely fix understeer. I've also done some other things like coilivers and some wheel hop fixes. An incredibly cheap suspension mod would be a strut tower brace.

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
The Performance Pack comes with a stiffer rear bar from the factory. Combined with my habit of running lower pressure in teh rear tires compared to the fronts helps minimize understeer, but I don't think that most of us have replaced sway bars yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
@KewlWinter you mentioned earlier that you have Pedders Sway bars. Did you install these and what setting do you feel is best? Most say to start with the middle, but will that be a different feel from the OEM? I think what I'm experiencing is an understeer issue. I a 19 Mustang Ecoboost. No performance package or anything like that. I hear performance package offers a stiffer rear sway bar.

Just curious how yours is.

·
Registered
628 Posts
@KewlWinter you mentioned earlier that you have Pedders Sway bars. Did you install these and what setting do you feel is best? Most say to start with the middle, but will that be a different feel from the OEM? I think what I'm experiencing is an understeer issue. I a 19 Mustang Ecoboost. No performance package or anything like that. I hear performance package offers a stiffer rear sway bar.

Just curious how yours is.
I started in the middle then went to the hard setting in the front. This works with my suspension upgrades. I recommend starting in the middle also as a starting point and working from there. Make sure you test each change you do on hard cornering with every combination of braking, acceleration that you can think of to uncover any quirks or issues. Also not every issue you uncover in your testing will necessarily be sway bar related. Our cars like a harder front sway bar and the rear not so much IMO. If you haven't addressed bushing compliance, spring rate, strut/shock damping/rebound, roll center, and tires, any of those can contribute to exaggerate symptoms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
My use of the Mustang just consists of wanting a nice looking car with some pickup. If you put it down it will go.I wasn't actually planning on modding it a lot. I mean if it needs work overtime I will definitely replace with better or if I have the spare time. I definitely love the car just wish it didn't have some of these issues from factory but it sounds like they probably don't fix it because they know everyone is going to mod it anyways. :)

I was planning on doing the Steeda Subframe Alignment kit and stopping there but now I'm thinking of doing that plus the Sway bars and BMR lockout kit. Only reason for the lockout kit was because I feel when I'm driving down the road it wanders here and there depending on the road. It's a bit difficult to do some of these since I don't have a lift or a lot of room where I live. It all looks simple according to the videos though.

My appointment for new tires is tomorrow yet since they're replacing under warranty there putting the same ones but 'New' back on. So I doubt I will see a difference. I will just keep these until I need to replace them again.

The only time I have issues is when its wet or raining. I go around a turn at 20mph and the entire front end of the car goes straight regardless of where the wheels are pointed (understeer). As someone said above maybe most people on here have the performance pack or performance package?

·
Registered
570 Posts
My use of the Mustang just consists of wanting a nice looking car with some pickup. If you put it down it will go.I wasn't actually planning on modding it a lot. I mean if it needs work overtime I will definitely replace with better or if I have the spare time. I definitely love the car just wish it didn't have some of these issues from factory but it sounds like they probably don't fix it because they know everyone is going to mod it anyways.

The only time I have issues is when its wet or raining. I go around a turn at 20mph and the entire front end of the car goes straight regardless of where the wheels are pointed (understeer). As someone said above maybe most people on here have the performance pack or performance package?

First thing is to get better tires, it may be that the ones you’re getting under warranty will help, even though they are the same tires, they’ll be new, and that does make a difference.
Second, suspension upgrades with crappy tires just makes the crappyness more evident
It’s possible to have too much suspension for your tires to handle.
I can’t stress enough how important it is to have good tires, nothing will work to it’s fullest without good tires, power, brakes, handling, etc all rely on your tires. The P-zeros are crappy tires period for the weight and performance of the mustang, they were crappy on my GT and crappy on the eco. The Kumo’s I had for awhile where way better, and the Nittos I currently run vastly improved handling and braking. BTW My current car is a 19 base eco w/T10.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
@Kent So the tires I have on it right now are the Goodyear Eagle F1. In tirerack they're rated pretty decent.

I'm definitely willing to wait and see. I'm curious though because you brought up suspension. If not tires do you guys feel suspension is the next thing to try? That's why I was curious what @KewlWinter had done earlier. He seemed to have a lot of mods and I'm sure quite a bit of money and time invested.

We will see... :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
@Kent So the tires I have on it right now are the Goodyear Eagle F1. In tirerack they're rated pretty decent.

I'm definitely willing to wait and see. I'm curious though because you brought up suspension. If not tires do you guys feel suspension is the next thing to try? That's why I was curious what @KewlWinter had done earlier. He seemed to have a lot of mods and I'm sure quite a bit of money and time invested.

I had good experience with the Eagle F1's. I've since switched to sumitomos for winter and NITTOS for summer. Suspension upgrade will certainly enhance the cars handling when paired with the right tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have an 19 eco with some bolt ons and I have no problems with traction even at high speeds in a straight line.

·
Registered
570 Posts

F1’s are Fairly decent for the street and respond pretty well to suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I just recently switched to the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's and they work very well for me. I'm going around corners in the wet at speed with not a hint of breaking loose like @Alan described for his car. Of course my car is an evolution of different tires, suspension upgrades, and adjustments over time to get where it is today. It is not a process of bolt on a couple of things and done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good tires are essential but only part of the equation. Sometimes it is just a matter of luck. Only weeks after getting my 2019, I was heading home on the turnpike and on cruise @ 80 mph. It started to sprinkle and I went to kick cruise off. Suddenly the clouds burst open like nothing I can remember. Under the circumstances, any car would hydroplane, and suddenly I was doing 80 backwards with no clue where I was going because how hard the rain was coming down. That was my bad luck. My good luck was coming to a stop on the grass between the guard rail and the hill, just before the sway dropped off. The rain came to a stop and all I had to do was drive a ways to get past the barrier and got back on the pike. The car only had a minor scratch on the front fender well but I spent half a day pulling grass out of the undercarriage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I'm a new proud owner of a 19 Mustang Ecoboost. I saw a thread on here posted by someone else about handling and the rain. I was out driving this morning, first experience I might add driving in wet conditions. It actually wasn't raining but rained earlier and the roads were still wet. I was going about 30mph and went on a slight turn (this roads speed limit is actually 45mph), and the front end of the car slide out and I had to slow down even more in order to continue through the turn.

Previously I was a Fusion owner and never had these issues yet this is a different type of car RWD, not FWD and so forth I understand. Yet I did a lot of reading and discovered it could be due to my tires. I currently have Goodyear 235/50R18 tires, they might be the 'Eagle' ones but not actually sure at the moment. I would think that if I'm not applying gas and going around a turn at a reasonable speed I should be fine but it just slides.

I am curious do you guys have similar issues with the ecoboost? Is there a better tire I should be looking for? Any help would be appreciated. :)

I really do enjoy the car but I planned on using it as a daily commuter. Yet if it's like this every time it rains I'm going to upset a lot of people by driving way under the speed limit lol.
Alan - I have a 2019 with 6600 miles on it. We’ve had lots of rain here in the last 4 days and skidding out has not been one of my problems. Car came with Goodyear Eagle All-Seasons on it. Have been real happy with them and will probably replace eventually with the identical tire....Alan (Al)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Mine used to fishtail a lot in wet conditions, and I could easily slide the backend out if taking off and at the same time turning right or left at an intersection even in dry conditions.
Once I changed out the stock Pirelli P-Zeros to Michelin PS4S, these issues went away.
The other thing I recommend is sticking to the Placard recommendation of 32 PSI.
Good tires and recommended pressure is vital on these cars IMO.

Reactions: zhent
41 - 59 of 59 Posts