Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After having driven the car for the last six months, I’m ready to pull the trigger on some mods/upgrades. You may have read about the history leading up to its acquisition at https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/old-to-mustangs-new-to-this-thread.17167/#post-177431

Goals:
Establish definitive markers that can be used to verify each mods effect
Have the car be quicker than the majority of EB Mustangs in my neck of the woods
Be more agile (SCCA events)
Keep its street characteristics intact
Make it a bit more user friendly as it’s my DD
Improve upon the exhaust note and/or reduce back pressure
Not blow up!

Stock set-up consists of:
Premium package
Non-Performance Package (I think I got those two right…)
Manual six-speed
3.31 LS rear end
235/50-18 Goodyear Eagle F1’s
2-piston front brakes w/12.6” rotors
Stock-stock-stock

Anticipated upgrades/mods (in no particular order):
Hood struts
Drop-in gauze air filter
NGK plugs (6510, .028” gap) (https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/spark-plug/ngk-ix-iridium-spark-plug/88538_0_0)
PP/GT take-off brakes
OTS tune (Cobb, COBB Tuning - Ford Mustang EcoBoost Accessport V3)
IC (CVF Street Intercooler (2015+ Ford Mustang EcoBoost))
Moxman exhaust (https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/got-it-the-moxman-or-ed-hansons-exhaust-system.1357/page-2#post-13885)(https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/got-it-the-moxman-or-ed-hansons-exhaust-system.1357/)(https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/ststangs-build-genie.2137/page-6#post-56681)
Muffler (Amazon.com: MagnaFlow 12268 Exhaust Muffler: Automotive)
Tip (Flowmaster Exhaust Tips 15392)
Export brace (Steeda Mustang Strut Tower Brace (2015-2019 GT/EcoBoost All), 555 5731 - Free Shipping - Steeda Autosports)
Steeda Extreme G-Trac K-Member Brace (Steeda S550 Mustang Extreme G-Trac K-Member Brace (2015-2019 All), 555 5532 - Free Shipping - Steeda Autosports)
IRS Subframe bushing kit (Steeda S550 Mustang IRS Subframe Bushing Support System | 2015+ Ford Mustang (Ecoboost, V6, GT) (555-4437))
Steeda Clutch Assist Spring (Steeda S550 Mustang Clutch Spring Assist 35 lb/in (2015-2019 All), 555 7022 - Steeda Autosports)

A differential pressure gauge will be incorporated throughout the testing to monitor pressure drops across air filter, IC, cat, resonator, and mufflers, both before and after mod/exchange. There’s a road nearby with a pretty good incline that’ll make a great “poor man’s dyno” which will allow me to monitor performance gains/losses as this progresses. As far as any handling upgrades, there’s a few SCCA events throughout the summer, but, with questionable driver abilities, the handling changes will be a bit more subjective. I hope to be able to use our local STAR program’s training area as a possible skid pad to check lateral acceleration, so that’ll be helpful if available…
I’m up in the air as to the addition of a catch can, as the ’18’s were supposedly outfitted with better baffling. Let me know if I’m totally out in left field on this.

As the weather begins to come around, we’ll start with baseline acceleration testing. Look for updates sometime this month (March).

03/04 Updated wish list with the addition of Steeda's K-Member brace (thanks to @zhent for the recommendation)

03/15 - Installed new Autolite APP5863 double platinum plugs (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ASPAPP5863?ref=MA==) gapped at .028": made a noticeable difference in tip-in performance while out on the highway. https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/nater-potaters-build-thread.18815/#post-202623

03/23 - Replaced trans fluid with Royal Purple Synchromax https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/nater-potaters-build-thread.18815/page-3#post-203767

03/26 - Added Steeda's clutch assist spring. I still haven't mastered the stock clutch action! I better get to work, as this list is growing faster than it's getting done.

03/29 - Going with the Cobb Accessport based on other's input https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-mustang-ecoboost-today.16559/page-63#post-204331
Now have OBD Fusion (iPhone) and Foseal OBDII dongle. Now, I just need to figure out how to work it!

06/21 - DV+ blow-off valve. $139.50 Perported to help maintain boost between shifts. GoFastBits DV+ BPV Upgrade for 2014+ Fiesta / 2015-2018 Ecoboost Mustang

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Looks like you've got it all planned well!
Can't wait to read up on your findings when you hook up a differential pressure gauge accross the air intake with before and after readings.

Looking forward to reading your build thread as the mods are done.

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This looks like a nice plan. Can I recommend the Steeda G-Track K-brace as well? Steeda S550 Mustang Extreme G-Trac K-Member Brace (2015-2019 All), 555 5532 - Free Shipping - Steeda Autosports
I barely remember how steering response felt without it, but there was a nice improvement and it completes the front end bracing.
Added; thank you. Yeah, you guys just keep on spending my money! ;) I keep telling the missus it keeps me off the streets, but it seems to be having the opposite effect! Now that I think about it, I can tell her it keeps me off of the Norton. That should help put her mind at ease, especially in light of the idiot drivers around here...

Nathan

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As promised, I'll be starting a side-thread about interactions with the selling dealership. A quick compilation:
03/08 - "I talked with my Ford dealer Service Department about this very thing (Ford Tune) in hopes of maintaining the warranty, and was told point-blank that the warranty would be voided. When pointed to the line that says "Exclusive Ford Performance warranty when dealer installed", he basically blew me off with "Well, if you've gotten the tune, you're obviously using the car for things other than what it was intended for, and it'd be your fault that it broke". It was then and there that I figured they would be no help whatsoever if anything happened, so I might as well do what I like, Ecoboom be damned!"
03/09 - "It was the way that the dealership put it that really soured me. I earlier was torn between paying the extra by going with the Ford tune to keep the warranty, or going to something more "user friendly" that would potentially void the warranty. I have to keep in mind that the response I received was, quite possibly, the opinion of one person, and not necessarily Ford policy. I'm not through, as there are a couple of other dealers in the valley that may be more open to a Ford-tuned car."

and

gatornek said:
Nate, I'd be pretty upset if I were trying to have a serious conversation with a dealer rep, and he basically blew me off like that. Unfortunately, the best way to 'build a relationship' with a dealer is to take it there for your preventive maintenance jobs (oil, fluid, etc).

Absolutely agree. However, the conversation about their tune came up after I had already set up for its first service in the hopes of establishing that relationship. In retrospect, this is the same dealership that charged full retail price and gave an allowance of $2000 on a truck that lists out as $6000 trade-in to a 97-year-old man who walked in with a wad of cash in his hand.

I hope to have an update Monday afternoon after speaking with the alternate dealership.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy cow! Talk about day and night! The "alternate" dealer was more than happy to work with me on using a different trans fluid to address the 1-2 roughness, and, more importantly, no worries with warranty when using the Ford tune! What gives with the other jackasses? Alright, show of hands: who's guessing that we're going to Contestant #2 for the tune (and service, and parts...)?

Nathan

·
Registered
430 Posts
Holy cow! Talk about day and night! The "alternate" dealer was more than happy to work with me on using a different trans fluid to address the 1-2 roughness, and, more importantly, no worries with warranty when using the Ford tune! What gives with the other jackasses? Alright, show of hands: who's guessing that we're going to Contestant #2 for the tune (and service, and parts...)?

Nathan
Natan,

I am curious as to what brand of transmission fluid your "alternate dealer" used to give you a better shift between 1st and 2nd gear?

Anthony V.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Natan,

I am curious as to what brand of transmission fluid your "alternate dealer" used to give you a better shift between 1st and 2nd gear?

Anthony V.
'Hasn't happened (yet). I'll probably do it myself, and made it a point to the dealership as such. They were perfectly fine with me doing routine maintenance on my car, making sure that wouldn't void the warranty. As for the oil, I'll be going with the Royal Purple Synchromax based on @Hampton CIT's and other's suggestions. https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/slight-grind-going-into-2nd-gear-once-every-8-10-shifts.9857/#post-104177

Nathan

·
Registered
430 Posts
'Hasn't happened (yet). I'll probably do it myself, and made it a point to the dealership as such. They were perfectly fine with me doing routine maintenance on my car, making sure that wouldn't void the warranty. As for the oil, I'll be going with the Royal Purple Synchromax based on @Hampton CIT's and other's suggestions. https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/slight-grind-going-into-2nd-gear-once-every-8-10-shifts.9857/#post-104177

Nathan
OK Nathan, I realize now that you have a MT EB, I have a AT EB.

For my AT EB shifting from 1 to 2 can be a little rough if the transmission oil hasn't had time to warm up. usually after first startup in the morning.

After everything warms up all is OK. I try to be patient and wait until the fast idle speed drops to normal RPM before driving off. But AT fluid does not warm up as fast as engine oil or coolant.

Anthony V.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I broke one of my cardinal rules, and I haven't even started with the build. I changed the spark plugs, and didn't do a before/after 0-60 or nuthin'! Autolite APP5863 double platinum one step colder. Granted, the car only has 6000 miles on the OEM plugs... They were all gapped consistently at .032". I know others have mentioned finding gaps all over the place. Now, I don't put a lot of credence in the butt dyno, but I was amazed at how the swap changed the throttle response. It is most noticeable in high gear 2000rpm/70mph. It seems like you can just poke your big toe, and the acceleration sets you back. I'm very curious to see what it does to the mileage.

Ford CYFS12Y2 vs. Autolite:
IMG_2719.jpg

Note how the OEM plug is fine-wire only on the center electrode, whereas the Autolite has an adjoining button on the ground electrode:
IMG_2717.jpg

Autolites gapped to .028" and torqued to 120 in/lbs.

The differential pressure gauge I have access to is only good for 15 psi. That means that it won't do for checking pressure drop on the intercooler, but it'll work for the air filter. In the meantime, the search is on for a DPG with a higher pressure capability.

There's a Test and Tune coming up at the end of the month at our local drag strip (Firebird Raceway / NHRA Drag Racing Track in Eagle, Idaho) which means I better get to practicing my launches!

Nathan

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Nicely done!
New spark plugs, will usually give you that nice 'butt dyno' feeling for the first few thousand miles, with the stronger fatter spark and smaller gap. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Okay, I broke one of my cardinal rules, and I haven't even started with the build. I changed the spark plugs, and didn't do a before/after 0-60 or nuthin'! Autolite APP5863 double platinum one step colder. Granted, the car only has 6000 miles on the OEM plugs... They were all gapped consistently at .032". I know others have mentioned finding gaps all over the place. Now, I don't put a lot of credence in the butt dyno, but I was amazed at how the swap changed the throttle response. It is most noticeable in high gear 2000rpm/70mph. It seems like you can just poke your big toe, and the acceleration sets you back. I'm very curious to see what it does to the mileage.

Ford CYFS12Y2 vs. Autolite:
View attachment 28231

Note how the OEM plug is fine-wire only on the center electrode, whereas the Autolite has an adjoining button on the ground electrode:
View attachment 28233
Autolites gapped to .028" and torqued to 120 in/lbs.

The differential pressure gauge I have access to is only good for 15 psi. That means that it won't do for checking pressure drop on the intercooler, but it'll work for the air filter. In the meantime, the search is on for a DPG with a higher pressure capability.

There's a Test and Tune coming up at the end of the month at our local drag strip (Firebird Raceway / NHRA Drag Racing Track in Eagle, Idaho) which means I better get to practicing my launches!

Nathan
No tune! Just a simple plug change (and gap) and made that much difference??

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No tune! Just a simple plug change (and gap) and made that much difference??
Yes! I was really surprised that there would be that much difference with plugs after only 6000 miles. I'm almost considering digging the old ones out of the trash and re-installing them to see if it truly made that much of a difference. With the perceived improvement from the plug change, I can hardly wait for the tune!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Did you notice any difference in the idle? I swapped plugs and coils at the same time, and the moment I pushed the start button I thought, "Smoooooth!"

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
It really does make a big difference in.my experience, not so much in the idle and low rpm but the high rpm performance drastically improves with a fresh set of plugs with a .028 gap.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes! I was really surprised that there would be that much difference with plugs after only 6000 miles. I'm almost considering digging the old ones out of the trash and re-installing them to see if it truly made that much of a difference. With the perceived improvement from the plug change, I can hardly wait for the tune!
If as you say it is then with my Cobb stage 1 tune on 2018 EB changing my spark plugs should really raise the "get up and go". Hell it is only four plugs at .028 gap. I too am approaching 6000 miles. After I get it serviced next month (oil change, etc..) I am now inclined to do as you did. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It really does make a big difference in.my experience, not so much in the idle and low rpm but the high rpm performance drastically improves with a fresh set of plugs with a .028 gap.
Yeah, I didn't notice anything with the idle, but it was already pretty dang smooth for a four banger. I also haven't yet wound it past 4 grand; maybe tomorrow (when the wife's not with me...)

If as you say it is then with my Cobb stage 1 tune on 2018 EB changing my spark plugs should really raise the "get up and go".
I would think the plug change would be fairly minor as compared to any type of full-on tune. That being said, that determination can't be made until funds are "allocated" for the Ford tune. I hope to be upgrading sometime mid-summer (roughly equivalent to Cobb Stage 1?), and am curious just how much it changes.

I'm gonna have to be careful; if this car is this responsive to something as simple as a plug change, I could become very addicted to chasing it down that rabbit hole!

Nathan

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yeah, I didn't notice anything with the idle, but it was already pretty dang smooth for a four banger. I also haven't yet wound it past 4 grand; maybe tomorrow (when the wife's not with me...)

I would think the plug change would be fairly minor as compared to any type of full-on tune. That being said, that determination can't be made until funds are "allocated" for the Ford tune. I hope to be upgrading sometime mid-summer (roughly equivalent to Cobb Stage 1?), and am curious just how much it changes.

I'm gonna have to be careful; if this car is this responsive to something as simple as a plug change, I could become very addicted to chasing it down that rabbit hole!

Nathan
Yep, could be a "slippery slope". And once addicted where do you go for rehab? Look at me, got cobb stage 1, now thanks to you, I will probably purchase those Autolite spark plugs and gap it at .028" then blow that engine cover off. THIS FORUM IS DANGEROUS FOR IDLE HANDS. SHOULD HAVE A CAUTION SIGN BEFORE SIGNING IN.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You can check out any time you like

1 - 20 of 35 Posts