Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t decide if the Cobb AP with a custom tune is worth the cost over going with the Ford Performance tune for my situation.

I’ve had the car for 3 years and I’m looking for some more oomph. I’m at 40k miles and it’s a daily driver so reliability is a concern. It’s an Automatic.

I’ve done a few mods in prep for the tune over the past year:
CPE Front mount Intercooler
Airraid MIT with a drop in filter

I will be purchasing pre gapped colder plugs and a replacement LSP sensor since I just checked and saw mine is the old version.

If I’m being honest I probably won’t do any more engine upgrades other than what I’ve done. I may do an exhaust in the future but not a down pipe.

FP tune comes with a tranny tune which I’d like. I think it would fit the bill. But I hate that I have no capability to see what the car is doing like the Cobb AP would do. Plus I’m going to have to get a laptop from someone so I can upload the FP tune as well so a bit of hassle there where the Cobb is more convenient.

What are everyone’s thoughts?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I have the FP tune (I also have the CPE racing IC). I've had it for a while. I'm actually have been in the midst over the past few months deciding on whether I will eventually add a downpipe and a custom tune to go with it via the Cobb. Here are my two cents:

There are 3 "stages" in Eco Mustang bolt ons, that each basically unlock a new level of power. The first is a hi-flow air filter, but this is fairly neglibible, and is merely a suggestion before adding a "stage 1" tune. The IC is necessary for "stage 2". And then the downpipe is the last major source of restriction to go to "stage 3". After these 'stages', the next steps in horsepower quests are turbo and fuel system upgrades.

If you're not planning on doing any other modifications, a custom Cobb tune might be a bit of overkill for you. Yes, a custom tune by someone who knows what they are doing, is always the BEST solution for your car, but its probably not going to be significantly better than either a Cobb OTS stage 2 tune or the FP.

Along the lines of making my own decision on this, I've also given consideration to the fact, that the FP tune 'woke up the car plenty' to my satisfaction when I first put it on. These cars happen to be known for the possible 'Ecobooms' that come along with them, when you maybe try to push the envelope to much. FP was so confident in their tune, that they offered a warranty with it. And although my warranty period is expired, the simple fact that they offered it, still gives me a sense of security that the engine is operating well within its designed parameters.
FP tune comes with a tranny tune which I’d like.
Correct. The auto tranny tune on it, works really nice with it. You'd have to probably pay extra for that on a custom tune.

Plus I’m going to have to get a laptop from someone so I can upload the FP tune as well so a bit of hassle there where the Cobb is more convenient.
It's not just getting a laptop (which I'm surprised you don't have!), but it also making sure you have a usb stick, solid wifi signal, and also the ability to be tethered to power while you're connected and uploading the tune. The tune takes about 20 minutes to load and its possible that your laptop will go into sleep mode if it isn't with power .... thus destroying your tune load. I hated loading the FP tune, and this is actually another consideration for me going with a custom Cobb tune, as I would have to revert the car to stock in order to do so....and I really don't want to go through that process again.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You don't need an Cobb AP or any of the other tuners to see what is going on with the engine. The Torque Pro app for $5 and a $20 Bluetooth OBD adapter will let you see everything you can see with the Cobb AP right on your phones screen. And if you have Sync 3 there is a plugin for Android Auto and Torque that allows you to put up to 6 parameters on your Sync screen. I set it up and play with it occasionally.

If you truly are not going to want to do additional power mods to the engine there is nothing wrong with the FP tune. I have been running it for the past 42k miles on my 17 Ecoboost Mustang and i am perfectly satisfied. All the canned tunes at a stage 1/2 level are going to give about the same power, if you get a custom tune you will get more but you are also pushing the engine closer to its limits. Even though your car is past the limits of the FP warranty you are likely to get less hassles while you are still on the cars powertrain warranty than you would with the other tunes.

Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't need an Cobb AP or any of the other tuners to see what is going on with the engine. The Torque Pro app for $5 and a $20 Bluetooth OBD adapter will let you see everything you can see with the Cobb AP right on your phones screen.
I did not know that! That’s would work perfectly.

It's not just getting a laptop (which I'm surprised you don't have!), but it also making sure you have a usb stick, solid wifi signal, and also the ability to be tethered to power while you're connected and uploading the tune.

I have a Chromebook, an iPad, and a custom built gaming PC. I have no need for a windows laptop which is why I don’t have one. All the rest I have, no issues there. I’d have to borrow someone’s windows laptop unless the Ford performance software works on Chromebook which I’m sure it doesn’t. I’m also not paying someone to install it for me either as I know I can do it myself.

I’m leaning FP over Cobb for some of the same reasons as Gatornek (Ford trusted it enough to warranty it). I’m not trying to squeeze every bit of power out of the car but I’m ready for some more oomph and trading in for a GT makes no financial sense to me so it’s out of the question. Cobb OTS seems so convenient though.

Can anyone speak to the Cobb stage 2 OTS?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I've been running Cobb stage 2 for a couple of years. Works great, and I'd hate to go back to stock. I can't speak to the transmission tune though, I have a stick.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Why did you go with Cobb over something else?
After reading reviews of the popular units available, I decided I liked the features on the Cobb the best. It was more expensive than the others, but I qualified for their 15% veterans discount which kept the price in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Cobb Accessport if you think you will need to upgrade parts or performance in the future.
FP Tune for warranty... But no upgrade path.
Cobb = Flexibility.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I teetered back fourth myself with FP and Cobb, I decided to stay with ford perf, and just rock what I got. im happy with it, I also just have intake/fmic. very happy with it overall. (stick though) cant comment on the trans. I dropped the idea of going pro tune, I have 10k on my FP and not a single missed beat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I teetered back fourth myself with FP and Cobb, I decided to stay with ford perf, and just rock what I got. im happy with it, I also just have intake/fmic. very happy with it overall. (stick though) cant comment on the trans. I dropped the idea of going pro tune, I have 10k on my FP and not a single missed beat.
did you install the intake that came with it or a different one?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I had a Steeda then an Unleashed tune on my 15 Ecoboost Mustang, i would likely have gone FP but it was not available at the time. When i got the 17 i went back and forth whether to have the Unleashed tune updated for my 17 or go FP. I decided on FP because of the warranty. There was definitely more power with the Unleashed tune but not so much that it would make a difference for a daily driver. As i mentioned in a previous post i have 42K miles on the FP tune and i am perfectly satisfied with my choice. If i ever feel the need for more power i still have my SCT X4 hand held.

Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a Steeda then an Unleashed tune on my 15 Ecoboost Mustang, i would likely have gone FP but it was not available at the time. When i got the 17 i went back and forth whether to have the Unleashed tune updated for my 17 or go FP. I decided on FP because of the warranty. There was definitely more power with the Unleashed tune but not so much that it would make a difference for a daily driver. As i mentioned in a previous post i have 42K miles on the FP tune and i am perfectly satisfied with my choice. If i ever feel the need for more power i still have my SCT X4 hand held.

Dave
Thanks for the replies. On the FP tune after the initial gas adjustment period it goes through, can you talk a little about the performance (including shifts in normal and sport if you have an auto)?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Well i have a manual so i can't comment on the shifting but folks seem to be very happy with the changes the FP tune makes.

The engine makes a noticeable power across the rpm range but it is most noticeable above the power peak of 5500 rpm. According to FP it is making 100HP more than stock at 6000 rpm and it feels like it. The engine pulls hard all the way to redline. Below the power peak it is not as strong as the Unleashed tune i had on my 15 but i am happy.

Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i have a manual so i can't comment on the shifting but folks seem to be very happy with the changes the FP tune makes.

The engine makes a noticeable power across the rpm range but it is most noticeable above the power peak of 5500 rpm. According to FP it is making 100HP more than stock at 6000 rpm and it feels like it. The engine pulls hard all the way to redline. Below the power peak it is not as strong as the Unleashed tune i had on my 15 but i am happy.

Dave
Despite being less power, you'd say it was totally worth it though? Definite "wow this is a big difference" in your seat of your pants meter?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
WOW is going to be different for everyone but i find the FP to give you a significant boost in power. I have driven a lot of 500+ HP cars at speeds up to 175 mph, it tske a lot to get a WOW from me.

I have been a hot rodder since before i could drive 50 years ago and a tune to a turbo car will give you more of a power pump than anything else you can bolt on.

Based on the mods you have there won't likely be anymore than 10HP difference between the FP tune and Cobb or any other tune. Just keep in mind when making your decision it takes about 10 HP for your butt dyno to detect a change.

Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW is going to be different for everyone but i find the FP to give you a significant boost in power. I have driven a lot of 500+ HP cars at speeds up to 175 mph, it tske a lot to get a WOW from me.

I have been a hot rodder since before i could drive 50 years ago and a tune to a turbo car will give you more of a power pump than anything else you can bolt on.

Based on the mods you have there won't likely be anymore than 10HP difference between the FP tune and Cobb or any other tune. Just keep in mind when making your decision it takes about 10 HP for your butt dyno to detect a change.

Dave
Thanks for all the help. I still have a little bit of time before I make a decision. I feel like I’m leaning towards the FP tune just for reliability and safety sakes.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
did you install the intake that came with it or a different one?
Keep the stock intake and add a hi-flow filter if you go with the FP tune. The GT350 bucket is a poor fit in the Eco.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Dave
So I’ve been doing a bit more research on Cobb stage 1 and 2 tunes. Seems Cobb stage 1 would be close to the FP tune. But from what I’m reading the Cobb tunes are more conservative so less risky. Obviously there’s risk with any tune other than stock, but I don’t think Cobb is pushing the limits on their tunes. Is that safe to say? Maybe some of my initial fears of OTS tunes were unfounded?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
So I’ve been doing a bit more research on Cobb stage 1 and 2 tunes. Seems Cobb stage 1 would be close to the FP tune. But from what I’m reading the Cobb tunes are more conservative so less risky. Obviously there’s risk with any tune other than stock, but I don’t think Cobb is pushing the limits on their tunes. Is that safe to say? Maybe some of my initial fears of OTS tunes were unfounded?
The OTS Cobb 1 & 2 tunes are fairly conservative, as they need to suit all the relevant Ecoboost Mustangs with they're slightly varying engine parameters and state of engine condition.
You can download dyno charts which will show you the HP and Torque curves of both the Cobb OTS tunes and FP tune.
I have them somewhere, and if I find them I'll post them up.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Keep the stock intake and add a hi-flow filter if you go with the FP tune. The GT350 bucket is a poor fit in the Eco.
The GT350 bucket fits perfectly in my car and seals well to the bottom side of the hood. You won't get any extra power with it but if you like the look when you open the hood there is no down side.

Dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts