Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just bought my 2016 Ecoboost about a month ago. This will be my 4th Mustang all my others were V6 & had exhausts already done. Although I am a American muscle fanatic, I am not familiar with tuning or much of anything. This is my first one I really want to put some money into. I need best opinions from everyone just to start with a basic tune exhaust & CAI. Most importantly most cost efficient, but best quality also. One more thing. I bought it used & I happened to notice that it looks to be I have a JLT intake under the hood already. I鈥檝e been asking around trying to see if this means it has had a tune done to it already. If anyone can help me out that would be awesome. I just started my account here so I鈥檓 new. 馃檭

Attachments

Registered
Welcome to the forum!
If you just want a basic tune, that will give you a nice increase in performance, the most popular is to buy a Cobb Accessport (which comes with canned OTS (Off-the shelf) tunes.)
You can install the tune yourself very easily, and with your current mods (CAI), you can safely run the Cobb Stage 1 tune, which gives a decent increase in torque and extra HP.
The Cobb Accessport, allows you to change tunes, and even get a "pro-tune", as you add other mods to your car, like an upgraded intercooler or exhaust.

It is very easy to tell if your car already has a Cobb tune in it.

1. If an auto, the dash will show what gear you are in, which is enabled by the tune. (Stock 2015 - 2017 Ecoboost Mustangs don't show this).
2. With the engine running, and cruise control "off"... Press the cruise control "cancel" button once on the steering wheel.
If it has a Cobb tune, the Tacho will instantly go to either 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 or 5000 RPM... Indicating the tune "slot"number in use, then after a few seconds drop back to the engine RPM.

Both the above, are tell-tale signs it indeed has a Cobb tune.

Registered
Welcome to the forum, Once you start modding you can't stop till the money runs out!o_O:)
20190418_162710.jpg

Registered
You're best bet to find if its been tuned is to take it into a dealership for your next oil change and ask them to check. The article that @zhent recommended is a great starting point. Much more combination of things you can do on these turbos, than on the V6's. If you have a decent "CAI", an intercooler paired with a tune is really your best starting point for improving the engine.

Registered
Welcome to the forum. First and foremost, do not use 87 octane fuel even though the manual says its okay. You may end up suffering the dreaded ecoboom as I have. After all the mods you make, they won't do a lot of good if the wheels don't stay on the ground. The S550 is known for its wheel hop under heavy acceleration. Make sure to save some money to upgrade some not so expensive suspension upgrade options. Enjoy your new ride.

Registered
I need best opinions from everyone just to start with a basic tune exhaust & CAI.
Welcome! If you鈥檙e looking for a solid cat back exhaust that won鈥檛 break the bank and doesn鈥檛 require tune check out MBRP. Most folks like the mbrp race because it鈥檚 louder (so they say, never heard it in person) but I lean more to the mbrp street. One of my first mods. It鈥檚 got a deeper tone but not as loud as the race and some others. You definitely hear it when you step on it. (Owner of my local shop thought it was a v6)

As far as CAI there are a few solid ones, I would say yours is on the list. A buddy of mine chose that one and has been happy with it

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
INTried
Welcome to the forum. First and foremost, do not use 87 octane fuel even though the manual says its okay. You may end up suffering the dreaded ecoboom as I have. After all the mods you make, they won't do a lot of good if the wheels don't stay on the ground. The S550 is known for its wheel hop under heavy acceleration. Make sure to save some money to upgrade some not so expensive suspension upgrade options. Enjoy your new ride.
[/QUOTE

I am glad you said something about the 83 because I actually put 83 in it when the dealer gave me a free tank of gas it was a week or two after I bought it originally & when idling at a stop light it idles very low then raises back up to normal almost like its going to stall out but never does. I really hope it is just a minor octane problem not something else but ever since I have been putting premium in it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum!
If you just want a basic tune, that will give you a nice increase in performance, the most popular is to buy a Cobb Accessport (which comes with canned OTS (Off-the shelf) tunes.)
You can install the tune yourself very easily, and with your current mods (CAI), you can safely run the Cobb Stage 1 tune, which gives a decent increase in torque and extra HP.
The Cobb Accessport, allows you to change tunes, and even get a "pro-tune", as you add other mods to your car, like an upgraded intercooler or exhaust.

It is very easy to tell if your car already has a Cobb tune in it.

1. If an auto, the dash will show what gear you are in, which is enabled by the tune. (Stock 2015 - 2017 Ecoboost Mustangs don't show this).
2. With the engine running, and cruise control "off"... Press the cruise control "cancel" button once on the steering wheel.
If it has a Cobb tune, the Tacho will instantly go to either 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 or 5000 RPM... Indicating the tune "slot"number in use, then after a few seconds drop back to the engine RPM.

Both the above, are tell-tale signs it indeed has a Cobb tune.
I forgot to mention when first made the post that it is a 6 speed not an automatic.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome! If you鈥檙e looking for a solid cat back exhaust that won鈥檛 break the bank and doesn鈥檛 require tune check out MBRP. Most folks like the mbrp race because it鈥檚 louder (so they say, never heard it in person) but I lean more to the mbrp street. One of my first mods. It鈥檚 got a deeper tone but not as loud as the race and some others. You definitely hear it when you step on it. (Owner of my local shop thought it was a v6)

As far as CAI there are a few solid ones, I would say yours is on the list. A buddy of mine chose that one and has been happy with it
Thanks for the advice! So as far as exhausted I am a little ify only because a couple of guys in my apt complex have the same car 2016 Ecoboost & they have exhausts on theirs but they sound horrible! It just sounds like it鈥檚 bogging I was told by someone it is because they possibly put straight pipes on theirs & that something or another about the 4 cylinder & not having enough pressure going through the straights so that鈥檚 why it sounded that way. That wasn鈥檛 his words but that鈥檚 what I got from what he said lol. Thank you so much for your response

Registered
Thanks for the advice! So as far as exhausted I am a little ify only because a couple of guys in my apt complex have the same car 2016 Ecoboost & they have exhausts on theirs but they sound horrible! It just sounds like it鈥檚 bogging I was told by someone it is because they possibly put straight pipes on theirs & that something or another about the 4 cylinder & not having enough pressure going through the straights so that鈥檚 why it sounded that way. That wasn鈥檛 his words but that鈥檚 what I got from what he said lol. Thank you so much for your response
Yeah definitely don鈥檛 recommend straight pipe. Seems like it鈥檚 everywhere now though, a dude in my apt complex has a 80 something corolla straight piped lol

It鈥檚 always gonna sound like a 4 banger but those turbo sounds make up for any rumble lost imo. The mbrp (and maybe others, not sure) comes with a y pipe to delete the resonator which is supposed to help with flow and sound. I was looking for a cat back that wasn鈥檛 crazy expensive because I was doing a few different mods at the same time and that鈥檚 how I landed on mbrp. I鈥檓 definitely happy with the mbrp street

Registered
I just
Yes I just looked at the one you suggested & I def will be looking into it. Very good priced. Thanks for the advice!
I just installed the MBRP Street my 18' 6spd and absolutely love it. I am hoping to post a detailed review soon. It really makes a difference in the car. I also recommend a Cobb Accessport. These 2 will transform your car.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I just

I just installed the MBRP Street my 18' 6spd and absolutely love it. I am hoping to post a detailed review soon. It really makes a difference in the car. I also recommend a Cobb Accessport. These 2 will transform your car.
Let me know when you do I def would like to see that.!

Registered
First upgrade... put in a decent intercooler. Does not require a tune and will allow you to make reliable, consistent power. The best supporting mod you will do. The OEM intercooler is a POS that will heat soak and rob you of power after only 1 hard pull, at least here in Florida where its hot most of the time. Check out some of the intercooler threads on the forum for more specifics. I run the ATM intercooler myself, but there are many options out there depending on how you will be driving the car.

Registered
First upgrade... put in a decent intercooler. Does not require a tune and will allow you to make reliable, consistent power. The best supporting mod you will do. The OEM intercooler is a POS that will heat soak and rob you of power after only 1 hard pull, at least here in Florida where its hot most of the time. Check out some of the intercooler threads on the forum for more specifics. I run the ATM intercooler myself, but there are many options out there depending on how you will be driving the car.
I second that. Heat soak sucks. I just did my intercooler about a month ago and it鈥檚 night and day

Registered
Let me know when you do I def would like to see that.!
I've had both MBRP Street catback and Cobb Accessport in my '17 6-speed manual for a couple years now. The exhaust sounds a lot better than stock, but not crazy loud, so I can still be a good neighbor. The Cobb makes the throttle more responsive and gives you lots of potential for future upgrades; if I could only have one mod for my car, that would be it. I'll also second the recommendations for a new intercooler, if you don't already have one. Since you have that CAI, it wouldn't surprise me if the previous owner did the intercooler too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
I've had both MBRP Street catback and Cobb Accessport in my '17 6-speed manual for a couple years now. The exhaust sounds a lot better than stock, but not crazy loud, so I can still be a good neighbor. The Cobb makes the throttle more responsive and gives you lots of potential for future upgrades; if I could only have one mod for my car, that would be it. I'll also second the recommendations for a new intercooler, if you don't already have one. Since you have that CAI, it wouldn't surprise me if the previous owner did the intercooler too.
I鈥檓 definitely going to have to check that out my first oil change is coming up soon I鈥檓 gonna ask them & see if they can tell me if there was a tune or not & about the inter cooler too. Thanks so much !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts