Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ecoboost Premium 10R80 w/ Black Acct Pckg
91 Posts
I believe they are trying to make it harder to tune the new ponies. I have heard that the PCM in the new 650s is locked and cannot be accessed by aftermarket tuners. Time will tell on that issue.

BD
Stangmode's later videos that just came out more or less confirmed (at least for the GT/Dark Horse) that outside of specific tuners who will have a pass to install blowers on the engines, the car's ECU's will be locked to tuning due to 'Over-the-Air Updates'. Given that there is now an electronic control on the turbo as well, chances are that this will also carry down into the ecoboost as well.

I will say I'm not that surprised this happened due to the newest restrictions in Cali that came out.

That said after staring at the car for half a day now, its really grown on me. I'm starting to not mind the front end as much (maybe I'm a weirdo I actually didn't like how the headlights and grille looked, no issues with the hood shape or design).
Given I'm also 27, don't really take issue with all the tech in the interior. Actually more or less prefer it (part of it is the fact there won't be dead buttons like there are on the base/ premium w/ recaro's where the would be heated/cooled seats switches. Again maybe I'm a weirdo or just fine with screens galore. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Stangmode's later videos that just came out more or less confirmed (at least for the GT/Dark Horse) that outside of specific tuners who will have a pass to install blowers on the engines, the car's ECU's will be locked to tuning due to 'Over-the-Air Updates'. Given that there is now an electronic control on the turbo as well, chances are that this will also carry down into the ecoboost as well.

I will say I'm not that surprised this happened due to the newest restrictions in Cali that came out.

That said after staring at the car for half a day now, its really grown on me. I'm starting to not mind the front end as much (maybe I'm a weirdo I actually didn't like how the headlights and grille looked, no issues with the hood shape or design).
Given I'm also 27, don't really take issue with all the tech in the interior. Actually more or less prefer it (part of it is the fact there won't be dead buttons like there are on the base/ premium w/ recaro's where the would be heated/cooled seats switches. Again maybe I'm a weirdo or just fine with screens galore. 🤷‍♂️
I don't see you as a weirdo or odd but rather you just grew up with all the techie screens and such that you are accustomed to it being the norm whereas me being 66 grew up with knobs and buttons so not as comfortable with touch screens. It is also that my hands are not a steady as they were at your age so touch screens can be hard to operate without inadvertent wrong commands being initiated as compared to knobs and buttons. Just different strokes for different folks.

Agree with the statements about PCM being locked except for a select few special ford affiliated tuners. I will not even touch the cali issue of forcing their stupidity on the rest of the country.

BD

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't see you as a weirdo or odd but rather you just grew up with all the techie screens and such that you are accustomed to it being the norm whereas me being 66 grew up with knobs and buttons so not as comfortable with touch screens. It is also that my hands are not a steady as they were at your age so touch screens can be hard to operate without inadvertent wrong commands being initiated as compared to knobs and buttons. Just different strokes for different folks.

Agree with the statements about PCM being locked except for a select few special ford affiliated tuners. I will not even touch the cali issue of forcing their stupidity on the rest of the country.

BD
Might debate you on the shaky hands bit, I got really unsteady hands but that might be more so my dad being up there in age still somehow has far steadier hands than I do which is amazing in some respects (he's born in '52 for reference).

I do agree I find it annoying how Cali can dictate random crap and the rest of the country eventually follows suit. You wonder why some many people are leaving Cali in droves now.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Might debate you on the shaky hands bit, I got really unsteady hands but that might be more so my dad being up there in age still somehow has far steadier hands than I do which is amazing in some respects (he's born in '52 for reference).

I do agree I find it annoying how Cali can dictate random crap and the rest of the country eventually follows suit. You wonder why some many people are leaving Cali in droves now.
Born in 56, but my shaky hands are from arthritis and other health issues from 40+ years as auto tech working with hands and hard labor.

Yep, agree on CARB crap being forced down our throats, at least here in Bama I dont see it happening in my lifetime.

BD

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
i thought the back looks like the mach e

as a side note: i don't understand the old timers..they grew up watching the jetsons, dreaming of a world with flying cars and robot, now...they are scared of technology, and don't know how to use a touch screen...i mean come ppl.!!
Nope not scared in any way of touch screens and do know how to use them, I have grown up fixing cars for a living before there were computers in cars so can fix anything in new cars. I just don't like the changes I am seeing with anything in these times, so just prefer to stay a dinosaur till my day comes. Never dreamed of world with flying cars and robots, but rather dreaded the day it comes to fruition. I will never be comfortable with 80,000-pound semi-trucks on the interstates with no driver behind the wheels, computers are designed and programmed by humans and as humans we will inherently make mistakes so nothing in AI will ever be perfect.

You don't know what you never had to begin with so can understand your opinions. Old cars made you have to use your skills to drive fast and be safe while doing so and did not have all the distractions of this high tech to distract you from concentrating on improving your skills.

Old skool till the day I die.

BD

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

as a side note: i don't understand the old timers..they grew up watching the jetsons, dreaming of a world with flying cars and robot, now...they are scared of technology, and don't know how to use a touch screen...i mean come ppl.!!
Actually, George’s “car” had a pretty simple dash
Cartoon Gesture Art Dishware Animated cartoon

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

·
Administrator
3,868 Posts

Call me an old timer if you want, but I don't like the dash on the new S650. It's not fear of technology, I'm a network admin, I deal in tech professionally. And yeah, I know how to use a touch screen.

I see it as putting too much on that screen and not having dedicated controls for some things. I don't want my climate controls in the same unit as my radio. Pull the climate controls out and put that into a separate panel. I want the ability to change out and upgrade the radio if I want, you can't do that here, but you can in an S550.

I also want old school gauges on my dash. Screens fail. We have threads on it. Want to impress me? give me an old school dash, with a digital variable heads up display that I can change based on drive modes and preferences. That would be infinitely more useful on track than the S650 dash arrangement. And if the heads up failed I would still have real gauges to read.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
^^^^^ THIS^^^^^

BD

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I want the ability to change out and upgrade the radio if I want
For audiophiles like us, this puts so much pressure to get the top tier stereo package, then simply not caring about it, and doing our own upgrades.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Call me an old timer if you want, but I don't like the dash on the new S650. It's not fear of technology, I'm a network admin, I deal in tech professionally. And yeah, I know how to use a touch screen.

I see it as putting too much on that screen and not having dedicated controls for some things. I don't want my climate controls in the same unit as my radio. Pull the climate controls out and put that into a separate panel. I want the ability to change out and upgrade the radio if I want, you can't do that here, but you can in an S550.

I also want old school gauges on my dash. Screens fail. We have threads on it. Want to impress me? give me an old school dash, with a digital variable heads up display that I can change based on drive modes and preferences. That would be infinitely more useful on track than the S650 dash arrangement. And if the heads up failed I would still have real gauges to read.
I don't disagree with you on that zhent. But at the same time, I haven't seen as many issues with Ford's... for a lack of better terms I'll call gen 2 screens (those digital clusters being used in the Bronco & F150) vs the first digital dash that was used in the mustang. Part of that might just be age/how long they've been on the market. And given the info about the locked ECU/PCM's on the car, the S550 far has the advantage in terms of user customization (the S650 does seem to have very little upgradability outside of suspension and exhaust).

In regards to climate control, I don't really mind as long as the system still functions even if the controls are unusable. Why, I have it set to 69 F (;)), and only switch on heated & cooled seats/AC as needed. (Brightside: it starting to look like there is a higher chance that the next gen recaro's might have the heated and cooled function, just no memory which I'm cool with).

Again, maybe if I had a second vehicle/or space to have a second vehicle, Or space to do the modifications myself, I would have a closer opinion to more of the old-timers/old school folks here. But given I have a single spot at the apartment I live & I no longer need to drive into work, given the current economic environment, it makes far more sense to get a new car than to try to finance both a house and mods :rolleyes:.

-Side note: ^If it sounds like I'm trying to convince others, its less so that and more so trying to convince myself. Again given I'd probably need to spend another 3-7K on mods + installation costs to get my car comfortably at safe level to take on track (since I'm at a base eco starting point).

·
Administrator
3,868 Posts
I don't disagree with you on that zhent. But at the same time, I haven't seen as many issues with Ford's... for a lack of better terms I'll call gen 2 screens (those digital clusters being used in the Bronco & F150) vs the first digital dash that was used in the mustang. Part of that might just be age/how long they've been on the market. And given the info about the locked ECU/PCM's on the car, the S550 far has the advantage in terms of user customization (the S650 does seem to have very little upgradability outside of suspension and exhaust).

In regards to climate control, I don't really mind as long as the system still functions even if the controls are unusable. Why, I have it set to 69 F (;)), and only switch on heated & cooled seats/AC as needed. (Brightside: it starting to look like there is a higher chance that the next gen recaro's might have the heated and cooled function, just no memory which I'm cool with).

Again, maybe if I had a second vehicle/or space to have a second vehicle, Or space to do the modifications myself, I would have a closer opinion to more of the old-timers/old school folks here. But given I have a single spot at the apartment I live & I no longer need to drive into work, given the current economic environment, it makes far more sense to get a new car than to try to finance both a house and mods :rolleyes:.

-Side note: ^If it sounds like I'm trying to convince others, its less so that and more so trying to convince myself. Again given I'd probably need to spend another 3-7K on mods + installation costs to get my car comfortably at safe level to take on track (since I'm at a base eco starting point).
And all of those are valid points for some.

I tend to keep cars for a long time, so longevity of all components is a thing for me. Over time us old timers have seen what components fail over time in new cars and when buying our next one try to avoid those things, at least until such time that they no longer are an issue. I'm not talking about head gaskets in the 2.3, but things like power window regulators that routinely fail with age, complex electronics don't last forever, that kind of thing. When you think about old-school mustangs, they were dead simple cars, and this is the reason so many of them are on the road today. Back in the 80's my mother bought a Buick Reatta. These were hand built and technological marvels with early touch screens. All of the electronics failed on those cars. Yes, electronics have improved over time, but think back on how often people replace their cell phones and personal computers. I expect many fewer of our current cars will still be on the road in 50 years, despite collectors best efforts.

Just providing points on why some of us think and feel the way we do about the S650. Are there elements we like in the new car? absolutely! I'm hoping that some after-market company will make headlights similar to the S650 ones for my car...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
And all of those are valid points for some.

I tend to keep cars for a long time, so longevity of all components is a thing for me. Over time us old timers have seen what components fail over time in new cars and when buying our next one try to avoid those things, at least until such time that they no longer are an issue. I'm not talking about head gaskets in the 2.3, but things like power window regulators that routinely fail with age, complex electronics don't last forever, that kind of thing. When you think about old-school mustangs, they were dead simple cars, and this is the reason so many of them are on the road today. Back in the 80's my mother bought a Buick Reatta. These were hand built and technological marvels with early touch screens. All of the electronics failed on those cars. Yes, electronics have improved over time, but think back on how often people replace their cell phones and personal computers. I expect many fewer of our current cars will still be on the road in 50 years, despite collectors best efforts.

Just providing points on why some of us think and feel the way we do about the S650. Are there elements we like in the new car? absolutely! I'm hoping that some after-market company will make headlights similar to the S650 ones for my car...
Very well stated and right on point as to why I prefer old analog knobs, switches and buttons.

Having made a career of fixing cars since the mid 70s I had to deal with the very issues you stated above with electronics failing in the early 80s Cadillac's and Olds up thru the 90s as well. I remember the Reatta as well and they did have lots of issues and you would be hard pressed to find one today I bet.

My opinion/views come from the years of having to diagnosis and repair the new-fangled tech in cars that even the manufactures really are not sure what will fail and exactly how to diagnosis some of those failures. I can tell you from experience that I have been in conversations with Cadillac and Olds field service engineers on issues I had with customers cars that they were not even sure what was wrong or how to fix the issues. Then also when I did figure out the issue and repaired it and called to close the case with my finding/solution I would be told that it was not possible for that to occur, or my repair was not valid, yet the customers cars never came back for the same issue again and had many customers confirm that their complaints were resolved.

I dealt with the same thing from engineers when at Harley developing the V-rod motorcycle with issues we saw that the engineers stated were not possible to be occurring or that the methods of repair would not work yet the riders confirmed no further issues encountered in the test duty cycles.

BD

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I like the overall outside looks but just cannot warm up to the full electronic touch screen dash.

BD

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang 6MT HPP/HP
125 Posts
When you look at the 2024 Tech Specs they say standard 6 speed manual, 10.6 compression ration and still has magnetorhealogical (electric) shock absorbers with the HPP getting the Brembo front brakes as standard. The increase compression shold make it a little quicker and the port and direct injection should help with emissions, cleaner intake valves and cooler intake charges. The curb weight looks also to be lower by about 50 pounds. A good update for the ecoboost. Still remember the Tech specs are sometimes wrong (even my 2020 Tech Specs are wrong about the HPP) and are going to change some by next year.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't like the grill. It's too big for the car, like it was adapted down from an F-150. Also, I hate the dash. I don't need a TV in my car. I have one in my living room. I don't understand why they didn't just make the current digital dash standard. The G7 screens just look tacked on, and why are there two of them. I wonder if the Ecoboost gets a better intercooler and if they fixed it's propensity to blow head gaskets.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts