Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Honestly, I cannot tell much difference between quiet and track from the video. May be more noticeable in person though, my MBRP 3" race cat back single tip sounds pretty much the same to my old ears.

BD

·
Registered
2022 Mustang Ecoboost Premium HPP w/handling pack 10at Cyber Orange
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, I cannot tell much difference between quiet and track from the video. May be more noticeable in person though, my MBRP 3" race cat back single top sounds pretty much the same to my old ears.

BD
i noticed that as well, must be because of the larger tubing. i agree it will probably sound better/ different in person. im more about the flow capability than i am about the sound volume when i upgrade the exhaust system.

·
Registered
2016 ecoboost premium
179 Posts
i noticed that as well, must be because of the larger tubing. i agree it will probably sound better/ different in person. im more about the flow capability than i am about the sound volume when i upgrade the exhaust system.
idk it honestly sounds the same between different modes. I like my mbrp street 3”exhaust and it sounds really similar to this but without the mode switching

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey folks! I'm looking at possibly purchasing a '22 EcoBoost in the next few weeks. The two I'm looking at have active exhaust and like others, I can't seem to find a compatible 3" aftermarket upgrade. The link above is not working for me, but I didn't see an option for the EcoBoost on MBRP's website.

If anyone has a working link, I'd appreciate it. Also, though... what happens if you put an aftermarket system on without active exhaust? Does it throw codes or do you just lose the ability to make the exhaust quiet?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
If you go with an aftermarket system, you will lose the ability to change modes and not sure if anyone makes an aftermarket system that is an active system like the factory system. Changing to an aftermarket system will set codes since you will have to disconnect the active systems connectors from mufflers which will trigger codes being set. I am unaware of any means to fool the PCM into thinking the system is still in place.

If you can find an eco with active exhaust to be able to hear the different modes in person so you can decide if the system works to your liking before you buy you can then decide if you want to order with or without the active exhaust option.

If you are going to install an aftermarket system, no need to pay for the active system just to remove it.

BD

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you go with an aftermarket system, you will lose the ability to change modes and not sure if anyone makes an aftermarket system that is an active system like the factory system. Changing to an aftermarket system will set codes since you will have to disconnect the active systems connectors from mufflers which will trigger codes being set. I am unaware of any means to fool the PCM into thinking the system is still in place.

If you can find an eco with active exhaust to be able to hear the different modes in person so you can decide if the system works to your liking before you buy you can then decide if you want to order with or without the active exhaust option.

If you are going to install an aftermarket system, no need to pay for the active system just to remove it.

BD
So, looking into it, I have come across a few options to mount the active exhaust valves out of the way, so they stay connected. In theory, this keeps the car from throwing a code. I'll have to look more into it.

This thread isn't really the place for it but... I have recently totaled my '21 Ranger and will be in the market for a car quickly. I don't need another truck and am looking at the Mustang. All current EcoBoost Mustang inventory in my area has active exhaust. So, there's not really going to be an option to just not have it.

I appreciate the reply. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
So, looking into it, I have come across a few options to mount the active exhaust valves out of the way, so they stay connected. In theory, this keeps the car from throwing a code. I'll have to look more into it.

This thread isn't really the place for it but... I have recently totaled my '21 Ranger and will be in the market for a car quickly. I don't need another truck and am looking at the Mustang. All current EcoBoost Mustang inventory in my area has active exhaust. So, there's not really going to be an option to just not have it.

I appreciate the reply. Thanks!
Sorry to hear about totaling your Ranger, hope no one was hurt badly.

Yes, you can remove the active exhaust actuator motors from the mufflers since they are basically an electric window regulator motor and leave them connected to prevent codes. If the adjustment of the 4 sound levels changes the sound to suit your preferences, then I would just buy and enjoy it.

Installing an aftermarket system will not gain any more performance over the active system and not really save that much weight. If the active system is not loud enough on max level, you can just have the resonator after the downpipe replaced with a Y pipe or a straight thru glass pack style resonator to increase the sound level.

BD

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is the diameter of the stock pipes? 2.5"? It may not be much, but a 3" downpipe and exhaust do add some hp and torque. I'll figure it out. The mounts I found are specified as being for a GT. I wonder how different our undercarriage (where it is bolted) is from the GT? It'll remain stock for a few months anyway.

I also found an aftermarket exhaust on Steeda that is for an EB with AE. But, it's still 2.5". Again, probably not that much difference.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
What is the diameter of the stock pipes? 2.5"? It may not be much, but a 3" downpipe and exhaust do add some hp and torque. I'll figure it out. The mounts I found are specified as being for a GT. I wonder how different our undercarriage (where it is bolted) is from the GT? It'll remain stock for a few months anyway.

I also found an aftermarket exhaust on Steeda that is for an EB with AE. But, it's still 2.5". Again, probably not that much difference.
Factory down pipe is 2.75" at turbo to cat and then 2.5" to the 2.25" connection between the DP and resonator and then back to 2.5" from there back to mufflers. Yes with a full 3" DP/catback you can gain some more HP/TQ but only with a custom tune. Just an OTS tune will not see any real noticeable gains.

Most 3" catbacks still neck down to connect to the factory 2.25" connection at the DP/resonator joint.

BD

Reactions: Sariandan
1 - 11 of 11 Posts