Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my '17 EB convertible last December, the dealer (CarMax) proudly told me about the new tires they put on. I thought this a bit odd as it had only ~26,000 miles, but figured maybe the factory set was showing some wear so maybe this way they could jack up the price a bit. In any case, on the way home it became abundantly clear that they were horrible!! They were Dunlap's and were noisy, rough riding, and made the steering feel "strange". So, this past week, I decided I had enough and went to my dealer to get a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS all seasons. (And, yes, I had checked pressures, etc., and all were right on spec. As part of the tire sale, the dealer also did a 4-wheel alignment and there was virtually no difference in the before/after measurements, so it had always been "in alignment".)

WOW!! What a difference!! Just coming home I could tell a difference in the ride and the steering. Top's down right now so I can't say they're "quieter" ... but I have a feeling they will be and anything would be an improvement!! I'm a pretty moderate driver (I love my Mustang for reasons other than track days, or "high performance" driving) but snaking around a couple of freeway on ramps proved the Contis were very much under control. Haven't had any rain but I suspect they will perform quite well on those few occasions I'll be out in the rain this winter.

Here's a couple of pix ... haven't had time to clean them and put some tire detailer on, but they do look pretty nice as is!!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Cheers!!

Ken

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have those same tires and they are very nice. Handles well without riding rough and to me, they are relatively quiet although I don't have a convertible. They are great in rain or dry conditions. Dry, the car sticks like glue. My car doesn't go out in snow so don't know about that. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice tires and some vintage aircraft !
Thanks!! On my way to the grocery store today I stopped at the base “museum” - the plane on the left is a 50’s era C-124 Globemaster and on the right a 70’s era C-141 Starlifter. Both flew here at McChord back in the day. Base now hosts C-17’s.

Ken
A better look at the C-141.
Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
UPDATE - due to low clouds and cool temps this morning, I put the top up and ran some errands, including a run on I-5 at 70+ mph. Definitely quieter with less road noise on all different kinds of pavement. Of course, a 'vert will always be more noisy than a sedan, but the reduction in road noise with the new tires was clearly noticeable.

Happy, I am!!

Ken

·
Registered
2019 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
49 Posts
What's even a better tire, believe it or not, is the Mickey Thompson Street Comp tire. Yes, it's a summer tire. But they're cheaper. Go to AmericanMuscle.com and look for yourself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I bought my '17 EB convertible last December, the dealer (CarMax) proudly told me about the new tires they put on. I thought this a bit odd as it had only ~26,000 miles, but figured maybe the factory set was showing some wear so maybe this way they could jack up the price a bit. In any case, on the way home it became abundantly clear that they were horrible!! They were Dunlap's and were noisy, rough riding, and made the steering feel "strange". So, this past week, I decided I had enough and went to my dealer to get a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS all seasons. (And, yes, I had checked pressures, etc., and all were right on spec. As part of the tire sale, the dealer also did a 4-wheel alignment and there was virtually no difference in the before/after measurements, so it had always been "in alignment".)

WOW!! What a difference!! Just coming home I could tell a difference in the ride and the steering. Top's down right now so I can't say they're "quieter" ... but I have a feeling they will be and anything would be an improvement!! I'm a pretty moderate driver (I love my Mustang for reasons other than track days, or "high performance" driving) but snaking around a couple of freeway on ramps proved the Contis were very much under control. Haven't had any rain but I suspect they will perform quite well on those few occasions I'll be out in the rain this winter.

Here's a couple of pix ... haven't had time to clean them and put some tire detailer on, but they do look pretty nice as is!!

View attachment 42886

View attachment 42887

View attachment 42888

Cheers!!

Ken
I picked up 4 Firestones summer tires saved $50 per tire I think they handle as good if not better than the pirellis

·
Registered
743 Posts
I ran a set of those and loved them. Unfortunately when I changed out wheels and changed my tire sizes for my staggered set up they didn't have the sizes I needed at the time so I went with Nitto.

Reactions: Minuteman3

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,274 Posts
Bridgestone Dayton DT30s very impressed so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts