·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
Follow my Instagram @ boosted . jt
97 Posts
Well, here is some more info on the 2024 ecoboost from ford authority. PCM tuning will be a long time coming for the 2024s if at all due to new hack proof security. Good for thwarting thief's but bad for tuners.

2024 Ford Mustang Debuts New 2.3L EcoBoost Engine (fordauthority.com)

BD
I don't think the locked ECU was going to ever impede thief's, really only hurts tuners and car owners that want to actually enjoy their car in my opinion. The dual port fuel system is interesting though, I wonder if the tuners could manage break the ECU open, if we could enjoy E85 straight out of the box like the 5.0's. I think Ford is trying their absolute hardest to emphasize the 5.0 as their performance platform and push away performance chasers from the EcoBoost's, akin to the rumors about how our cars could've had the 3.5 twin turbo V6's but it would've blown the 5.0 out of the water with performance potential and eaten into their sales. To my understanding, the '22+ 5.0's also have a locked ECU so...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the locked ECU was going to ever impede thief's, really only hurts tuners and car owners that want to actually enjoy their car in my opinion. The dual port fuel system is interesting though, I wonder if the tuners could manage break the ECU open, if we could enjoy E85 straight out of the box like the 5.0's. I think Ford is trying their absolute hardest to emphasize the 5.0 as their performance platform and push away performance chasers from the EcoBoost's, akin to the rumors about how our cars could've had the 3.5 twin turbo V6's but it would've blown the 5.0 out of the water with performance potential and eaten into their sales. To my understanding, the '22+ 5.0's also have a locked ECU so...
Yea, not sure on the impeding thieves much either since the ones that want to steal other's possessions will always find a way. It is so easy to clone the remotes our cars use right now that unless they do something to alleviate that from happening, I will agree with you.

Agree on the twin turbo V6 that is in the edge ST blowing away the 5.0 with some tuning for sure. It's that same as the Camaro/Firebirds never getting more HP than the Vettes, it's not good business practice to upscale the flagship model with a faster lower status model.

I am sure tuners will eventually crack the ECUs but the real question is if the EPA will have them in handcuffs before they do so. Better get those tunes bought sooner than later.

BD

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it looks like the bonnet goes all the way to the grill on the v8 but not on the I4. the V8 bonnet looks better
No both have the same bonnet/hood, it's just the lighting and color on the dark horse that hides the parting line of the hood and front clip.

BD

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea the more I see the body lines the more it just turns me off. The interior is just plain hideous with all the techie screens and the convertible reminds even more of a Camaro from the side views. At least the coupes fastback body lines keep it from being so camaroish looking. About the only lines i can even somewhat get close to is the rear view.

I will be keeping my 2020 550 for sure.

BD

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yea the more I see the body lines the more it just turns me off. The interior is just plain hideous with all the techie screens and the convertible reminds even more of a Camaro from the side views. At least the coupes fastback body lines keep it from being so camaroish looking. About the only lines i can even somewhat get close to is the rear view.

I will be keeping my 2020 550 for sure.

BD
Agreed. I always consider what the car looks like if you imagine it without any logos and non-descript grille and tail lights. In this fashion the convertible now is easier to imagine it is something other than a Mustang with its slab sided body. I think the loss of the character line down the side was a bad move.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The locked ECU is a bummer but I remember when the r35 GTR came out it It also had a locked ECU but I think it was only for GPS and would limit the power until you hit a approved road course. It was either HKS or GREDDY that cracked the ECU in under 2 hours I think. But that was also over 13 years ago. I think. If Cobb or someone else in the tuning community really wanted to crack this thing they could get it done pretty quick. Or maybe that's just hopeful thinking.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The locked ECU is a bummer but I remember when the r35 GTR came out it It also had a locked ECU but I think it was only for GPS and would limit the power until you hit a approved road course. It was either HKS or GREDDY that cracked the ECU in under 2 hours I think. But that was also over 13 years ago. I think. If Cobb or someone else in the tuning community really wanted to crack this thing they could get it done pretty quick. Or maybe that's just hopeful thinking.
We will just have to wait to see if that will happen with the EPA crackdown on tuners, they may not want to take the risks.

BD

Reactions: Slowbb4

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
We will just have to wait to see if that will happen with the EPA crackdown on tuners, they may not want to take the risks.

BD
This will be dependent on how much teeth legislation has and the ability to police and enforce, and end cost to the tuner, although they probably get around that with the popular “not legal for street use” verbiage. I would expect that you would be safe provided the car still met the emission standards. Best of luck to the catless downpipe crowd!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This will be dependent on how much teeth legislation has and the ability to police and enforce, and end cost to the tuner, although they probably get around that with the popular “not legal for street use” verbiage. I would expect that you would be safe provided the car still met the emission standards. Best of luck to the catless downpipe crowd!
Yep, a lot will depend on what you state above with enforcement and testing. I do not see any testing or enforcement happening very soon in my state. If CARBifornia gets its way, we will be out of luck for sure.

BD

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was so excited for the S650 reveal, watched with glee the night they went live from Dtown. Ended up going to bed that night pretty much deflated though. I had planned to replace my '21 HPP/HP with a '24 GT, but not now. At 53, I'm sorta old school and the techy (and very fragile looking) screens in the interior alone would have been enough to turn me off. But its worse than that. I was one of the people who loved the '18 refresh, that's the year I bought a new GT after looking at and deciding to not by a '17 the year before. The 550 refresh, to me, solved one thing about the earlier 550's I never liked, which was a hood line that made me feel like I was sitting in a Crown Vic. The refreshed '18 solved that and I frankly didn't mind the more squashed looking front end, I actually liked it visually much better than the '15-'17 look. Wanted to throw that in, so the next part of what turned me off on the 650 refresh makes more sense. I loved the '18, especially the addition of Gen 3 coyote power coupled with a 10 speed (which is what I bought), so you'd think I'd tend to like trendy new looks for the Mustang? Not in the case of the '24. I personally think they made it look like a Camaro from the rear and a Charger from the front, and if I wanted a Charger or a Camaro then I certainly wouldn't have been buying Mustangs for the past 32 years now would I? So within a day of the reveal I'd decided to not only keep my '21 but add Cobb Tuning, a better IC, and a few other minor cosmetic and personal touches (white shift knob, Steeda jacking rails, Steeda IRS brace, blacked out headlight covers, Pedder's transmission poly mount bushing). I'm wondering how many others here were also turned off as much as I was by the 650's looks (or lack of) and decided to also keep their 550? And do you think Ford will be able to sell these cars now that we also are finding out the ECU's are eseentially locked? I personally think Ford shot themselves in BOTH feet on the 650, and sales numbers are gonna crater.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments on the S650. Not of fan of how they implemented the electronics presentation, and the interior overall looks fragile and cheap. As for the exterior, the headlights and rear are a total turnoff for me and does look very much like it is NOT a Mustang. Too much of a departure from the Mustang lines and styling in my opinion. Add the locking on the PCM into the equation, and Ford made sure that a significant portion of their base is now alienated. This was another step in a depressing trend when they took an electric SUV (Mach-E) that has no relationship to the S550 chassis and slapped the Mustang name and emblem on it to bolster the sales. Total misrepresentation, and if the Mach-E wasn't good enough to gain its own brand acceptance, then it should never have been put in production. And they did it again with the Maverick. Seriously disappointed in the path Ford has been taking the last few years. I also was looking into a potential refresh... no longer. Ford keeps it up will not only lose out on S650 sales, they will also start losing their dedicated base of Mustang owners. They not only shot themselves in BOTH feet, they shot off BOTH legs.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Not sure if its wishful thinking or not, but when I went from a 2015 to my current 2018, I had to wait for a bit before COBB managed to figure out the programming due to changes made by FORD to the PCM coding/maps. And that was not a locked PCM situation. If it is truly locked, it may be a long wait (or never).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments on the S650. Not of fan of how they implemented the electronics presentation, and the interior overall looks fragile and cheap. As for the exterior, the headlights and rear are a total turnoff for me and does look very much like it is NOT a Mustang. Too much of a departure from the Mustang lines and styling in my opinion. Add the locking on the PCM into the equation, and Ford made sure that a significant portion of their base is now alienated. This was another step in a depressing trend when they took an electric SUV (Mach-E) that has no relationship to the S550 chassis and slapped the Mustang name and emblem on it to bolster the sales. Total misrepresentation, and if the Mach-E wasn't good enough to gain its own brand acceptance, then it should never have been put in production. And they did it again with the Maverick. Seriously disappointed in the path Ford has been taking the last few years. I also was looking into a potential refresh... no longer. Ford keeps it up will not only lose out on S650 sales, they will also start losing their dedicated base of Mustang owners. They not only shot themselves in BOTH feet, they shot off BOTH legs.
Oh don't get me started on my disgust over Ford using the Mustang name for an EV. Did I mention I'm 53 (which makes me damn near a boomer) LOL. That was a black eye on my brand. Since I don't need a truck, or an SUV, my '21 is likely the last new Ford I buy, maybe ever. I'll likely go backwards in the future, maybe get another 4 eyed, carburetor foxbody (my first blue oval love) and pretend I'm 20 years old again!

• Love
Reactions: Buldawg76

·
Registered
785 Posts
Oh don't get me started on my disgust over Ford using the Mustang name for an EV. Did I mention I'm 53 (which makes me damn near a boomer) LOL. That was a black eye on my brand. Since I don't need a truck, or an SUV, my '21 is likely the last new Ford I buy, maybe ever. I'll likely go backwards in the future, maybe get another 4 eyed, carburetor foxbody (my first blue oval love) and pretend I'm 20 years old again!
Yeah, 59 here LOL. I loved the 2 89 Fox bodies I had. Not sure if I want to get another one though, since I do love my 2018. Have been eyeballing a few 1st gen rollers with the idea of using a donor Fox body for the drivetrain and interior for a resto-mod though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts