Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow stang owners.
I just recently traded in my edge and get a smoking deal on a 2020 rapid red ecoboost mustang and going to relive my youth for awhile.
I have been a master certified auto/cycle tech for 45 years and have built several older cars thru the years and still have my old bikes ( Shovelhead and KZ1000 ) to enjoy.
Thought I would go new school for a change and save me some time in building from the ground up.
I found this forum while searching for performance parts to upgrade my stang and thought I would join to pick some of the long-time members brains on what's what in terms of go-fast goodies for the ecoboost. It was actually a birthday present to my wife and me since we are only 2 weeks apart of the same year.

Already have a Ford performance K-bar and cross brace, AEM dry air filter, SR throttle body spacer on the way for starters.

So far, I really am enjoying the car and it is much faster than I expected a four banger to be and with the pony package has some cool options with the track and dragstrip modes. It's not a HPP car but still nicely optioned.

Looking forward to talking with members and doing upgrades to our new toy. :):)(y)

BD

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Administrator
3,670 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks
BD
Welcome aboard
I haven't been here too long either, but you'll find a lot of good info here on forums.
The general consensus on top mods to start off with seem to lean towards a aftermarket intercooler, a tuner & 3" downpipe/exhaust.
If you can keep your foot from mashing into the Fun level too much, it's even more Eco.
Be advised- these 2.3s do have their💥 limitations.
The 2.0 build seems to be the bullit-proof thing to do.💰💰💰

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jimbo
Yea I am learning a lot already here. Already scored me a nice cat back system to start off with. Going slow with mods since its still under factory warranty. I got my lead foot days behind me years ago so a bit more sensible now LOL.

Local dragstrip has run what you brung on Friday nights for 10 bucks entry so will eventually see what it does stock and as mods progress and not go to jail in the process.

Got a good buddy that's parts manager at local ford dealer that has 2017 ecoboost so been picking his brain as well.

BD

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
157 Posts
Welcome to the nuthouse & congrats on your purchase! For first mods, one warranty friendly tune mod is the ford performance tune. That will keep the 3/36k warranty intact, and provide you with some good times. Pair that with an Aftermarket IC and a DP/Exhaust, and you'll be in great shape for the Warranty term. Just be sure to have the tune installed by an ASE certified tech or a ford dealer that does ford performance service. A lot of dealers will sell you a ford performance catalog item, then tell you you need to take it 2 towns over to get service or installation done, so be sure to ask your local dealer if they do that kind of work. One of the best "bang for your buck " non invasive "mods"? Run 93 Octane exclusively. The difference from 87 gas is an eye opener, and most, if not all tunes require it anyway.

Reactions: 2020ecobase

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got Kbar/strut brace put on today. Got MBRP stainless cat back and hooker DP on the way. Already decided on CV fab IC and pipe kit in future.

Got good friend at local ford dealer that's part manager so FP tuner is in the future as well.

Unfortunately, I was ASE master tech certified from 1977 until 2015 when I retired and let it lapse, but buddy at dealer will hook me up. :)

Already way down the rabbit hole.

BD

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome brother!!! I'd love for you to show us a pic of your KZ1000 😊 I was a motorcycle mechanic in my early days and specialized in kawasaki. I still love bikes but now that I'm older my passion now are cars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Husky
Glad to give a few pics if my 1977 KZ1000 grunt. It's a 9.5 second 1/4 mile drag bike with the slick and wheelie bar that I converted back to street legal status to mess with the new crotch rockets from stop light to stop light. They will eat me up on top speed but if they don't have a lengthened swingarm they are fighting the bike wanting to wheelie if they are not experienced at launching from a stop. My bike does not wheelie it just lifts the front tire about an inch and sits out a little to the side and goes. It's very fun on the street. I have done more mods and upgrades to it since these pics also.

I was a durability mechanic for Harley at the Talladega Test Facility here next to the superspeedway from 98 to 09 when they closed up and moved all new vehicle testing to the old Ford Motor Company proving ground in Yucca , AZ. I helped develop the V-rod from 98 till it was released for sale in 2001. They had no mechanics there that knew anything about fuel injection, and I was a Cadillac tech at the time and the V-rod /Harley used all GM Delphi computer components and sensors.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah, the v-rod was a sweet bike. A lot of hardcore Harley guys didn't call it a Harley😡 Your KZ1000 is sweet. Ive always wanted a KZ1000. They are seriously hard to find ones that haven't already been torn apart or beat. Nice brother!!! Well Welcome!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not to bad mouth the V-rod but having worked with it from almost day one they ran good in a straight line but none of the different versions handled worth a darn and it is geared way too tall with 1st gear redlining at 70mph and then the other 4 gears only achieving top speed of 143 mph with a 125 pound female test rider on top of it. We did all of our testing on the superspeedway. So I have been around Talladega speedway more times than I can remember on a bike including my KZ and Harley with the KZ at top speed of 155 mph in my 11 years with Harley. It was one of those jobs that you get paid very well to play at work every day. :) (y)

The V-rod just never grew on me but I knew all of its quirks and shortcomings also. The engine was co-developed by Porsche and Harley. Very robust and dependable powertrain but the chassis is lacking in suspension department IMO.

The motor is still used today in the Pan America and soon to be released sportster S.

BD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts