Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First time Mustang owner! I recently bought a “Grabber Blue” 2017 Mustang Eco Boost, and had a couple of questions I was hoping to get some help with. The car has 29k miles. The previous owner modified the car from what I know (see below). It appears to be just a standard model (4in audio… yuck!), does have leather seats which is bonus.

Questions:

Tuning
- Is there a way to tell if the previous owner had a “tune” done? I hear a lot of people talk about tuning and I do not need it tuned nor want to race it. It’s actually my daily driver (I drive about 120 miles a day… oh and it’s Manual!! Lol). I just do not need it to be maxed out in any way that may increase engine wear, or cause a BOOM.

Tires / Handling - when I look at tire rack, none of the factory options show the same tire sizes (below mods) I have, so I assume they had custom tires installed?
I am coming from driving a Hyundai Elantra… so be gentle. When driving the car in the DC area highways (crappy roads… lots of work done) I can feel the car try to take every single line from road work. At first I thought something was wrong with the steering, but once I got on the smooth highway it drove really nice and straight. Is it because I have big sports tires that city roads feel like that?

Thanks!
Sorry for writing a book… but thanks for taking the time to read it. I LOVE GRABBER BLUE!!!
(On a sad note, I just bought the car 2 days ago and cannot drive it, because it just snowed 8 inches! but DAM it looks GOOD!)

Mods (if you are interested)

• Borla exhaust (not sure what exactly they did to it, but the tips say Borla and is sounds great!)
  • C&L Cold Air Intake (has a cool looking glass cover)
  • 19” Michelin pilot sport 4s – 275/40ZR rear 255/40ZR front
  • Hood struts (I heard they normally come with the hood bar that holds the hood up.)
  • Custom full floor mustang mats for front, rear and trunk (cool because they cover the entire floor and wrap up.
  • Tinted rear tail covers
  • The front headlights have some Velcro patches… I assume they were probably for a tinted covers no longer on it
  • Rear and side window louvers
  • The car has an SVO badge where the 2.3L or 5.0 badge would go on the side. Not sure if thus was factory of custom
  • Two black racing stripes down length of car (so cool!)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi welcome

The tyres are staggered like the GT as it has the GT mags on it. Standard tyre sizes nothing special. I have 275 40 on mine and actually work out cheaper for a wider tyre go figure

As for the tune. A stock eco will fall flat on its face at 5000rpm without a tune.

if you have a Ford performance tune you can check against your vin number if it has it.

Or check the ECU via OBD and will tell you how many times the car has cycled between each flash of the ECU

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi welcome

The tyres are staggered like the GT as it has the GT mags on it. Standard tyre sizes nothing special. I have 275 40 on mine and actually work out cheaper for a wider tyre go figure

As for the tune. A stock eco will fall flat on its face at 5000rpm without a tune.

if you have a Ford performance tune you can check against your vin number if it has it.

Or check the ECU via OBD and will tell you how many times the car has cycled between each flash of the ECU
Thanks for the quick response and feedback. Good to hear tires are standards. I will look into the tune stuff based on your tip.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
3,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Looks like a base model eco with added in leather seats and GT Performance Pack wheels. As for the tramlining issue I would have the alignment checked. Wider tires to tend to follow ruts/grooves in the road much more than narrower tires, but alignment can help.

The mods you have listed wouldn't require a tune, but I don't know of a sure-fire way to check. You can always take it in to Ford and have them check to see when the computer was last flashed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum!

Looks like a base model eco with added in leather seats and GT Performance Pack wheels. As for the tramlining issue I would have the alignment checked. Wider tires to tend to follow ruts/grooves in the road much more than narrower tires, but alignment can help.

The mods you have listed wouldn't require a tune, but I don't know of a sure-fire way to check. You can always take it in to Ford and have them check to see when the computer was last flashed.
Thanks for the tips zhent :)

·
Super Moderator
6,262 Posts
I'll agree with the above, adding that the "SVO" badge is an aftermarket add. Ford has not used that moniker since the original Fox platform units back in the 80's. The ecoboost Mustang was not marketed as "performance" like the original SVOs were.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll agree with the above, adding that the "SVO" badge is an aftermarket add. Ford has not used that moniker since the original Fox platform units back in the 80's. The ecoboost Mustang was not marketed as "performance" like the original SVOs were.
Am I going to be laughed at by the Mustang community for having the SVO on the car? Again, first time Mustang owner... don't want to disrespect the community.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
129 Posts
FWIW, SVO is owned by Jaguar these days.

Dave
Maybe so but as Ford owns Jaguar (and Land Rover) they have rights and could badge a Ford branded vehicle with SVO. BUT.... It would be unwise in marketing the more expensive brand with the badging of a common American made vehicle (in the states atleast) as it would seem generic to the market Jaguar is reaching out to.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Maybe so but as Ford owns Jaguar (and Land Rover) they have rights and could badge a Ford branded vehicle with SVO. BUT.... It would be unwise in marketing the more expensive brand with the badging of a common American made vehicle (in the states atleast) as it would seem generic to the market Jaguar is reaching out to.
Jaguar and Land Rover have been owned by an Indian company called Tata since 2008.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts