Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just bought a new 2020 base model 10 speed auto ecoboost. I have been driving practical cars and hybrids my entire life so far and have NO IDEA what I'm doing when it comes to different features in this vehicle. I use it as my daily driver but have some time scheduled to do a track day with a buddy who has a V8 challenger.

Does anyone have any tips for how to get the most out of this car without voiding my warranty? I figured out the basic controls but have no idea what the difference is between track mode and drag strip mode.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Using the search function in these forums, is a great place to start, as there is a wealth of information and practical experience from members.
Basically, anything you put on the car such as a tune, bolt-on to the engine / drivetrain could cause warranty claims to be denied, if it can be proven the part or tune caused the related issue.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
621 Posts
I use drag mode at the drag strip, but I have never used track mode. I can only ASSUME that it is for road course driving.
Back to the drag strip... I also put the gear shift lever into "S" mode (without touching the shift paddles) and turn off traction control.
PS: You may want to research Ford Performance for information concerning warranted modifications. Any other mods could cause issues if you have a future warranty claim.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you're new to "performance driving" in any car, I'd highly suggest leaving the car stock and putting in some seat time before doing anything. There are a million parts you can throw at it if you want to tinker, but a stock car with a good driver will outperform a built car with a bad driver any day of the week. Take some time to enjoy the car and then figure out what you want to change, if anything. Beating your friend's tug boat is a good start as long as it's just a 5.7 👍

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

We have tons of information on things that can be done with your car. I'll echo others in saying start with some seat time on track, with an instructor if you can get one, and learn the car before making any drastic changes. The only thing I advocate no matter what you're doing is replacing the intercooler with an aftermarket unit. Any aftermarket intercooler is better than the stock unit.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I ran my first complete NMRA season factory stock and collected data and seat time, while finishing 8th in points. My biggest problem was "heat" and my 1st modification was an aftermarket intercooler. Then air intake and downpipe, and an OTS 93 octane tune.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2018 EB PP car was a bit of a departure for me as well (first American car purchase in 30 years!). I will say this, after over 3 yrs, 43K miles and at least a couple dozen HPDE days, I still love it. I just acquired a super low mileage 2017 GT convertible this spring, but the Eco coupe is still my preferred "driver's car" (albeit modified ;)). As the others said, just drive it and enjoy it for a while. There are endless mods that can be done, but you have to figure out your objectives first. Street, drag strip, autocross, and road course (HPDE), will each require different mods for optimal performance in each respective arena.

Have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts