Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Got the Intercooler and charge pipes done but can NOT figure out this HKS bov at all
Did you get the charge pipes that for the HKS style BOV flange? This is the charge pipe you should have purchased.
CVF Aluminum Intercooler Charge Pipe Kit with HKS Flange (2015-2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost)

You also likely will need this adapter to connect a vacuum hose to the intake for the BOV to operate properly.

Watch this video for clarification on how the adapter is used. They state it's the PCV hose but it is the Evap purge hose not PCV hose you are modifying.

If you have the correct charge pipes for the HKS valve this will get you finished, but be aware that you will be disconnecting the electronic controlled BPV and in doing so there will be a CEL on since the PCM can no longer control the electronic factory BPV. There is a resistor plug you can plug onto the disconnected connector to keep CEL off but not sure where you can get it without also buying a valve. It comes with the turbosmart valve kit.
Turbosmart Mustang Kompact Shortie Dual Port Blow Off Valve TS-0203-1081 (15-22 Mustang EcoBoost) - Free Shipping (americanmuscle.com)

Hope this helps.

BD

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yessir got the charge pipes with the HKS Flange and every video installation I've seen everybody is hooking up to the opposite side with the bov? I'm about to just take off the charge pipes and put factory one back on until I can get that adapter in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Okay so I'm done for the day.... that's enough for me, lol. Texas heat killing us.

Few photos though.... got the Wastegate actuator on with the cvf race intercooler and just connected the cvf charge pipes to the intake and left the other factory until I can figure it out. Also got the catch can installed.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Rim

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
647 Posts
View attachment 42454

Still can't figure out what to do with the opening from the Roush intake
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a 1" chair leg rubber cap to plug off the recirculate fitting on the intake tube with a clamp to hold it on and that issue will be solved.

Here is more info on how the HKS valve works and it needs a manifold pressure/vacuum signal to work correctly which is what the adapter allows you to do by connecting to the evap connection. Or if you prefer you can install a throttle body spacer that has a 1/8" pipe thread to install a pressure/vacuum fitting to get the signal from and not have to butcher the evap hose like the video states to do.

HKS SQV4 Super Sequential Universal Blow Off Valve - Genuine – TunePlus, Inc (tuneplusinc.com)

CVF Throttle Body Spacer (2015-2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost) – CV Fabrication (CVF)

If I had a choice, I would go with the CVFab spacer which I have on my car, but just have a pipe plug in the threaded hole versus a threaded nipple to connect the BOV hose to. I don't like modifying factory plumbing if i can avoid it. Cost wise either part is about the same but CVFab does not charge shipping or tax. Call and talk to Jason at CVFab and he will set you up.

BD

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank you so much for the help yesterday you pretty much said what I was trying to look up on the fly. I shoulda done more research on the universal hks bov and knew I'd need something else. Is there a contact for Jason listed on CVF website?

Once I get the bov situation taken care of which should be soon I'll be looking into my next mod.

Still can't decide whether or not I want to pull the trigger on the Downpipe just yet from what I have read some seem to have issues after going with aftermarket Downpipe.

Thinking about going with big brake kit brembos out front and GT brakes in the rear been looking into some threads on here.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I contacted him thru the mustang6g forum so you may want to join that forum as well. Here is his profile there where you can start a conversation with him from tab in his profile. Or just send an email to CVFab website requesting to have Jason respond back to you.

cvf-jason | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Blad to help. From the info i have read of you install an aftermarket downpipe that has a 200 cell cat you will most likely have to also buy a post cat O2 spacer to fool the PCM to keep from setting a post cat efficiency code. You will also need a custom tune to get the most out of the DP. Most tuners now will not tune your car if you have a non catted DP also due to EPA cracking down on the tuners.

BD

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I contacted him thru the mustang6g forum so you may want to join that forum as well. Here is his profile there where you can start a conversation with him from tab in his profile. Or just send an email to CVFab website requesting to have Jason respond back to you.

cvf-jason | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Blad to help. From the info i have read of you install an aftermarket downpipe that has a 200 cell cat you will most likely have to also buy a post cat O2 spacer to fool the PCM to keep from setting a post cat efficiency code. You will also need a custom tune to get the most out of the DP. Most tuners now will not tune your car if you have a non catted DP also due to EPA cracking down on the tuners.

BD
I still need to check them out over there when I get out of work today I'll look into it. I'll definitely be contacting Jason thanks for that.

The Downpipe I'm looking at is kooks GREEN catted DP but tbh I still need to do my research on them compared to their regular catted DP since there is a huge jump up in price between the two. I'd be pairing it with the FP Borla Sport Cat-Back

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yep, check out mustang6g forum and search for "the great intercooler thread" to see Jason's post and start a conversation with him, you can get a code for 5% off your orders.

I think the Kooks green DP means it is probably 50 state legal and CARB certified versus non green DP but not sure. it would explain the added cost to certify it CARB compliant. The factory DP has a 400 cell cat whereas most aftermarket DPs are a 200 cell cat so half the size of material inside cat resulting in half the restriction and less efficient at cleaning the exhaust hence the CEL and need for O2 spacer to fool PCM. If the DP is full 3" and the Borla is also full 3" then you very likely will need custom tune to get the most out the system. I have no firsthand experience on that but have been told by both PD tuning and Tune+ that you need custom tune but then they are tuning for a living so I would expect them to state that as well.

BD

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Next up I have the kooks downpipe ordered but it'll take 8-10 weeks unfortunately so it'll be a while.

I was on the fence about a Tuner seems everyone on here uses Tune+ or PD Tuning with Cobb Accessport. I've decided to go another route with the SCT X4 and getting the car dyno tuned by HPP out of Dallas. Just feels more comfortable having someone actually work on the car and tune it. Hoping I didn't make wrong decision, lol. I'll post up dyno numbers when I get them.

·
Registered
647 Posts
View attachment 42501
View attachment 42500

Couple pictures with the HKS BOV installed...
Ok from the pics you posted it appears you have the hose connected to the boost side of the turbo outlet, so the BOV sees boost rather than manifold vacuum/pressure to operate correctly. I have no experience with the HKS valves so maybe they use a boost pressure signal versus manifold vacuum/pressure signal. If it is working correctly then you should be good with it.

I am with you on having a tune done in shop versus from remote tuner over internet. I don't have any tuner shops in my local areas so have gone with ford performance tune to keep my warranty intact until the 3/36 time frame runs out.

BD

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
If I'm being honest the BOV was the only thing I couldn't figure out myself so I took it to a shop and this was the result, I did notice it was routed differently from the others I had seen and from what Jason recommended with the kit. The car is running really good though and the bov actually sounds phenomenal better/louder than I expected with the 10r80.

I actually took it to a shop in Dallas that primarily works on JDM cars nothing but fully built k-tuned Hondas etc... I've known about these guys for 30+ years but never had opportunity to get any work done with them but very helpful and even swapped out the plastic for brass on the HKS kit.

Maybe someone can chime in if this BOV setup will give me problems but so far so good.

I've heard really great things about HPP but nothing really ecoboost related so I'm just taking a chance but I think building relationship with a reputable shop will help long term.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Does the dash boost gauge read vacuum/boost when on/off throttle? If it is responding with correct readings, then you should be good. I just have never seen it connected to turbo outlet versus intake manifold.

BD

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yessir guage is still reading boost just as normal that was the first thing they did when finished installing was to make sure I was still making boost. You've got me a little worried, lol but I do believe they did a good job.

Got an opportunity to do a test run over the weekend only did one run wish I had run the car stock so I had a baseline but just been using motor trends 13.9 @ 97.2 MPH as a reference.
Car did 0-60 in 5.4 sec and ran the quarter mile 13.4 @ 107 MPH definitely had some wheel spin on newly paved black top. Car feels much stronger up top now so this is in line with my butt dyno. Impressive without any tune just straight bolt ons.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Well, it sounds as if the HKS operates off boost pressure versus manifold which is completely possible from a design standpoint. I don't think there should be any worry on your part since it sounds like it is working quite well.

As a comparison my 2020 eco completely stock using the Track Apps timer in the car recorded times of 14.48/100mph and 14.8/95mph in two runs back-to-back at an altitude of approx 2400 ft above sea level. So your times are quite good for sure and show you are making good power. What is your max boost you saw when doing those runs or at WOT pulls.

I saw 20 psi max stock and just got the FP tune flashed yesterday and with only 35 miles on it since flash I am seeing 23 max psi boost but the FP tune takes a few hundred miles to completely learn the all the new parameters to give max gains in HP/TQ numbers. I will be doing a few runs after I get more mile on the car so the tune is fully learned.

BD

·
Registered
715 Posts
Next up I have the kooks downpipe ordered but it'll take 8-10 weeks unfortunately so it'll be a while.

I was on the fence about a Tuner seems everyone on here uses Tune+ or PD Tuning with Cobb Accessport. I've decided to go another route with the SCT X4 and getting the car dyno tuned by HPP out of Dallas. Just feels more comfortable having someone actually work on the car and tune it. Hoping I didn't make wrong decision, lol. I'll post up dyno numbers when I get them.
I know what you mean. For me, it's finding a safe place to drive like an idiot, where I won't endanger myself or anyone else, and also minimize my risk of getting a ticket, because that would be just my luck. I'd much prefer a dyno tune. PD Tuning is actually local to me, but sadly they haven't done in-person tuning since before COVID, I believe. So, I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on the e-tune just yet.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I am fortunate that my local dragstrip (about 40 miles away) has a test and tune every Friday night from 9PM to 1AM for 10 bucks per person entry fee. You can run as many times as you want with time slips.

I also have a remote country road about 10 miles away from the house but it's at 2400 feet above sea level so skews the data some compared to where I do most of my driving.

BD

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Really disappointed at the moment purchased the Ford Performance Borla Sport catback and got up to muffler shop and started to get it hooked up then figured out it wasn't going to fit. Lot of money to waste on something that didn't even fit. Process of sending back and getting refund from AM.

Maybe just go kooks full 3" downpipe/exhaust or talk to Ford about sending me the correct one which is few hundred more from Ford. Not sure why exhaust didn't fit, instructions were for 2018 model idk if that matters.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
That's good to hear about the bov though so far so good! My max boost is usually around 21.8 - 22.4 or so WOT. I'm surprised you haven't been in the 13s honestly... I'm real interested in seeing the gains from the FP tune that's the route I was going to go originally.

Most of the tracks around me are 1/8th mile but I haven't been in years something I need to get into again lots of options redline, north star think yellow bellys still around then you've got the NHRA tracks like Motorplex need to find out if they do test and tune I'm positive they do.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts