Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this warning today. I have never had it before. This is just climbing into car and before I have started, not sitting very long. With covid I’m not driving that much but I try to get out on the weekend and give the car a good 45+ minute drive if it’s been sitting all week. I was wondering if this was due to some update in Sync. I didn’t check the battery, the car started okay and the volts were 15 and then dropped to 14.5 eventually (nothing unusual there). Thoughts?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I put my ride away late November. Decided to take it out for a fresh tank and run some errands. Got a similar message.
Mustang: "System Off To Save Battery"
Me: "OK"
Pushed the button an it started up fine
I don't think it's an indication of a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Your battery needs charging or is on the way out.
How old is the battery?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s the original, so two and a bit years. I find it hard to believe it’s dying already. Maybe I’ll put the charger on it and see what it does, it’s an electronic one and will tell me if it is low.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The system is shutting something off. Its probably programmed into the software just for as it says to save power. If my wife's escape isn't started in about 3 days my fordpass gets a notification that the remote start/lock and gps was shut off to save power. Probably something similar. Btw sweet car. I really love that color and would likely have gotten it if one was available near me.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Your car will do this when you leave it sit for extended periods of time without use. If it didn't the battery might be dead when you do try to drive it again. Our Mustangs use a fair amount of power when they are just sitting there doing nothing.

If your car does this every morning your battery is on the way out. I believe the shut down and subsequent message is triggered by the battery's voltage drop. It's just trying to save enough juice to start when you do get back. This is normal. Unless like I say it does it frequently after not sitting for long periods of time. Then your battery is on the way out.

Reactions: Nater Potater

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The system is shutting something off. Its probably programmed into the software just for as it says to save power. If my wife's escape isn't started in about 3 days my fordpass gets a notification that the remote start/lock and gps was shut off to save power. Probably something similar. Btw sweet car. I really love that color and would likely have gotten it if one was available near me.
Thanks, I wasn’t originally looking for it because it looked horrible on the website, but one was coming into the dealership I was dealing with, so we looked at a coupe locally and liked it, so we took it. In retrospect, I’m glad we did as I have yet to see one in the wild here in Toronto so I stand out a bit. One year colour helps.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your car will do this when you leave it sit for extended periods of time without use. If it didn't the battery might be dead when you do try to drive it again. Our Mustangs use a fair amount of power when they are just sitting there doing nothing.

If your car does this every morning your battery is on the way out. I believe the shut down and subsequent message is triggered by the battery's voltage drop. It's just trying to save enough juice to start when you do get back. This is normal. Unless like I say it does it frequently after not sitting for long periods of time. Then your battery is on the way out.
I think it may be a result of a lot of short hops, which I typically do around the neighbourhood, usually mitigated by my commute, which of course isn’t happening now. The longer weekly drive may just not be enough to fully charge it back up, resulting in a slow loss of charge. I’ve put the charger on it now and showed 12.4 volts, and is charging at 3 amps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I let mine set for 4 days during the holidays and i could definitely tell there was a voltage drop by the sound of the turn over when i first started it again. As was mentioned these cars and most newer ones especially those that have internet connectivity eat a lot of power even when sitting so once the system reads a certain voltage it starts shutting systems off.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I let mine set for 4 days during the holidays and i could definitely tell there was a voltage drop by the sound of the turn over when i first started it again. As was mentioned these cars and most newer ones especially those that have internet connectivity eat a lot of power even when sitting so once the system reads a certain voltage it starts shutting systems off.
Yeah, that doesn’t help either. My brother has a 2011 Impala, certainly less tech on board than our cars, and it would flatten the battery in a couple of weeks in Florida, as when they were at their condo, they would sometimes go that long without driving. He put a disconnect on the battery and would disconnect if I’ve thought they wouldn’t be driving.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can get a voltage reader that will do that automatically when the voltage hits a set limit.

When i purchased my car it was March 2020 mines a 2019 it must have been sitting as i got a heck of a deal and the battery was dead. Also the glasses drawer was broken it wouldn't stay pushed in. They took one out of a show room bullet they had inside. So i have a piece of a bullit in my car. Which I really would have liked to have but i went for economy with power for a daily and really don't regret it .

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
I got that same message this morning. Fired right up, put it on the trailer; took it to the track; drove the sh*t out of it; no further messages.

Reactions: MrScharfenberger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got the same warning this morning for the first time when I took the car for a drive after sitting under the cover for ~3 weeks. I guess we are all getting it because of winter and COVID/lockdown? :p

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I drove my son to work at the grocery store today and shopped. This is only about 3 km each way or so. Ambient temp was around 0C. When I came back I checked the battery voltage, it was 12.57 volts. I checked the cells with a hydrometer and although all in the fair range, they were pretty much all the same. Guess I’ll have to keep and eye on it and check it occasionally. Or maybe it’s fine, for it’s age.

·
Registered
2019 Ecoboost Premium Convertible - Automatic, Performance Package
1 Posts
I just got this warning today. I have never had it before. This is just climbing into car and before I have started, not sitting very long. With covid I’m not driving that much but I try to get out on the weekend and give the car a good 45+ minute drive if it’s been sitting all week. I was wondering if this was due to some update in Sync. I didn’t check the battery, the car started okay and the volts were 15 and then dropped to 14.5 eventually (nothing unusual there). Thoughts? View attachment 38466
My 2019 eco boost Mustang has Ford Pass. I got a message that said it is in a “deep sleep” and to manually start the vehicle to deactivate. It has been in garage since early November.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My car was built in Dec. of '17. It's an '18 but it sat for another 9 months before I got it. I hate all the electronic drains just by opening a door, etc. But no problem as yet 'cause I keep it on a trickle charger in the garage when I'm not driving it. Still I plan to buy a new battery sometime this year. Probably closer to fall.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts