Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My lifelong dream is coming true shortly but I feel like I'm in a conondrum.

I am buying a 2021 Ford Mustang convertible, but my issue is I am not sure if I go with the standard Ecoboost engine or upgrade to the HPP engine?

I spoke with my mechanic who is a car fanatic and he told me to do the upgrade, but I am not sure he understands my position. Money is not the concern,my concern are these two things:

A) Do I upgrade just to have the power as I grow with the car, as this is my first sports car ever

B) or is the ecoboost standard engine sufficient for what I need it for? (Daily driving, maybe opening her up for some fun)

I am not a youngster (57 to be exact) and this is my dream come true car and I will be using it as a daily driver, I'm not going to a track,or at least I don't think so, lol) a car to have fun in and travel with my wife .I am watching too many reviews and reading to many articles where many people say the standard engine hits a point where the power drops and it's better to spend for the uprade HPP.

I'm not sure what these people are doing with the cars all the time, but with everything I have mentioned, would the base engine be sufficient for myself?

Any help, thoughts and opinions appreciated!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Drive both and decide. I have the base Ecoboost and it is plenty powerful.

Don

·
Registered
916 Posts
I’m quite happy with my stock power. It depends what you are buying the car for. I wanted a comfortable cruiser, hence, I went Premium with the 201A package and the safe and smart package. Only you can decide, since it will be your butt in the driver’s seat. If you are planning on touring the car with your significant other, they may not like the stiffer ride of the HPP that comes with the lower profile tires and stiffer suspension (although you could mitigate that with the magnaride).

·
Registered
421 Posts
For the price difference unless you get the handling pack (and really still then) you can upgrade the non HPP to have more power and have goodies in the package like magnaride.

So if you are going to upgrade and tune for the fun of it or for power later i would go with non HPP. If you are going to remain stock and never tinker i probably would go HPP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m quite happy with my stock power. It depends what you are buying the car for. I wanted a comfortable cruiser, hence, I went Premium with the 201A package and the safe and smart package. Only you can decide, since it will be your butt in the driver’s seat. If you are planning on touring the car with your significant other, they may not like the stiffer ride of the HPP that comes with the lower profile tires and stiffer suspension (although you could mitigate that with the magnaride).
I Don't mean to sound ignorant, but when you say "stock power", are you referrring to the base engine? (not HPP)

Thanks

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hello J.J...

I'm 53. I've had a few Hot Rods. Right before I turned 50 I bought a BMW S1000RR (there is a link to a video of what it is and the insanity it brings) As nutty as that purchase was I have had more fun with that thing than you can imagine. Would I do that again..?? Absolutely. No regrets. None.

Here is my best advice... You've never had a sports car. You're 57. Buy the baddest f'ing Mustang that you like & can afford. Don't look back. Just enjoy it.

AND... This is the most important thing. Don't ask your wife what she thinks. Surprise her. They love that. Ask me how I know.

Good luck!! You're going to love that new high dollar Hot Rod!

·
Registered
916 Posts
I Don't mean to sound ignorant, but when you say "stock power", are you referrring to the base engine? (not HPP)

Thanks
Yes. Mine is a 2018. 310 horses/350 ft lbs (but not quite on the 91 gas I use).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello All,

I am buying a 2021 Ford Mustang convertible, but my issue is I am not sure if I go with the standard Ecoboost engine or upgrade to the HPP engine?

I spoke with my mechanic who is a car fanatic and he told me to do the upgrade, but I am not sure he understands my position. Money is not the concern,my concern are these two things:

A) Do I upgrade just to have the power as I grow with the car, as this is my first sports car ever

B) or is the ecoboost standard engine sufficient for what I need it for? (Daily driving, maybe opening her up for some fun)

I am not a youngster (57 to be exact) and this is my dream come true car and I will be using it as a daily driver, I'm not going to a track,or at least I don't think so, lol) a car to have fun in and travel with my wife .I am watching too many reviews and reading to many articles where many people say the standard engine hits a point where the power drops and it's better to spend for the uprade HPP.

I'm not sure what these people are doing with the cars all the time, but with everything I have mentioned, would the base engine be sufficient for myself?

I'm not a youngster either, 70 to be exact. There is more content to that engine package than just the engine. If working on the car is something you enjoy doing you can buy the base package and upgrade the things that mater to you. If you just want the horsepower of the HPP engine you can add Ford's performance tune for $ 600 or $ 700 and be done with it. If braking is your concern you can upgrade that...... on and on and on. If you have the money and want to buy something with improved performance over stock and don't want to work on the car buy the performance packages. I have a base car with a manual trans. I've added an exhaust system, the Ford tune, an improved intake tube and a better air filter and the engine compartment brace. There is more to do but that's what I enjoy. If it's your dream car get what you want, remember want and need are two very different things. Your enjoyment is the whole point.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not that cost isn't something that should be taken into account. But I would always tell people. If youre on the fence about adding an upgrade just do it. You'll hate your payment once a month and love your car everyday..or..you can love your payment once a month and regret not getting the upgrade everyday.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello All,

Hi, I'm not a kid either ( 70 ) and I have a 2019 Eccoboost, 6 speed with the Black Package. I get mileage in the mid 20's around town and 32 - 34 on the highway at 70. You should look at a few performance tests on these cars and come up with an average 0 - 60 time and an average 1/4 mile time from the tests. Then go back to the days of your youth and pick 5 or 6 cars ( stock ) that you thought were pretty quick. It will put their performance in perspective. I have a 2000 Corvette, 2006 Mustang GT that has had work done to it. My 2019 runs with them. Spend you money on comfort and safety items. Down the road you can always add the Ford Performance Tune if you want to go faster.

·
Registered
2020 EcoBoost Perfomance Premium Stang
21 Posts
We just purchased a HPP Premium fast back coupe. Drove both a 101 and 102A package back to back. The difference is greatly apparent. Had I not driven the HPP with handling and Magni ride I would not have guessed how great a difference the ride is. Would not get Mustang without it. And I am a quite Mature Babyboomer. !!! LOL

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm also 57 and currently have a 2016 Base Ecoboost Fastback with 6-Speed and almost 100k miles. I just ordered a 2021 on Monday with the 101A package, Active Valve Exhaust and the nicer 641 18" 5-Spoke Wheels.. I could also afford to get an HPP, but I too daily drive my car and I don't need all the performance upgrades that come with the HPP.

For one thing I prefer the softer suspension & 18" wheels for the better ride and want All-Season tires.

I've got a Cobb AP, Mishimoto Intercooler, MGW Shifter, and a few other mods that improve the driving experience from stock that I will be transferring over to the 2021 as well.

I've had new 1994, 1998, and 2004 V6 5-Speed and a 2011 V6 6-Speed daily driver Mustangs before the 2016 and as great as the 305HP V6 2011 was the 2016 EB is an even better car. I also own a 1969 351W 4BBL 4-Spd 3.50 T-Lok Mustang that I've had since 1981 that both the heavier 2011 & 2016 easily surpass it's performance.

And as Leon Chase mentioned above the base 2015-21 Ecoboost in stock form can beat or match the performance of most stock Muscle Cars of the 60's / early 70's as well as many 80's, 90's and beyond "performance" cars.

Doug

Reactions: jdsfly

·
Registered
2020 EcoBoost Perfomance Premium Stang
21 Posts
I'm an energetic 66 year old retired Marine that was not a car guy but has been riding motorcycles for 48 years and we just a few weeks ago picked up a brand new 2020 STICK shift HPP Performance + Handling package fastback coupe for my GF who had 4 V8 mustangs prevously and could not be happier AFTER driving a premium Automatic 10spd Mustang. She drives for work and pleasure and we have no desire to track it or burn off any of the expensive tire tread, BUT the difference in power and handling is materially different and MUCH More FUN to drive. I am familiar with the Chevy Vette Magniride and this ponycar with magniride is really great in action. We've put 1300 miles on it in only a few weeks and could not be happier. This from a converted V8 Chevy guy who also owns a brand new Ford Ranger with the 2.3 Ecoboost. The Company did a great job in putting together the HPP package with actionable exhaust, sway bars and GT Brakes/wheels. I am only disappointed that it came without a spare tire. Love this car so far! Go Forth and enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm an energetic 66 year old retired Marine that was not a car guy but has been riding motorcycles for 48 years and we just a few weeks ago picked up a brand new 2020 STICK shift HPP Performance + Handling package fastback coupe for my GF who had 4 V8 mustangs prevously and could not be happier AFTER driving a premium Automatic 10spd Mustang. She drives for work and pleasure and we have no desire to track it or burn off any of the expensive tire tread, BUT the difference in power and handling is materially different and MUCH More FUN to drive. I am familiar with the Chevy Vette Magniride and this ponycar with magniride is really great in action. We've put 1300 miles on it in only a few weeks and could not be happier. This from a converted V8 Chevy guy who also owns a brand new Ford Ranger with the 2.3 Ecoboost. The Company did a great job in putting together the HPP package with actionable exhaust, sway bars and GT Brakes/wheels. I am only disappointed that it came without a spare tire. Love this car so far! Go Forth and enjoy!
That's a beautiful car. I found a spare tire kit online, for my 2018, for $165 plus shipping. I couldn't see spending the $405 Ford wanted, to add it to the car as an option.

·
Registered
109 Posts
"Here is my best advice... You've never had a sports car. You're 57. Buy the baddest f'ing Mustang that you like & can afford. Don't look back. Just enjoy it.

AND... This is the most important thing. Don't ask your wife what she thinks. Surprise her. They love that. Ask me how I know."

You win the internet today!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would get the GT over the HPP option. My first car was a 2007 GT and while my ecoboost could run circles around it the sound was unforgettable I would test drive all of them and go with your gut instinct.

·
Registered
318 Posts
For the price, between an HPP and a base model GT, it might be a tough choice. For me it would depend on what I wanted to do with it. If I wanted to autocross or road race, I'd go with the HPP. If I was after the best acceleration and a glorious sounding engine, I'd go with an A10 GT or an A10 Camaro LT1. I was looking for a cheap, good performing, good MPG, daily driver, with ride quality good enough for the roads in the northeast. I bought an 18' A10 base 100A Ecoboost, and I love it. It's quick at 13.20s 1/4 mile, great on gas at 35 mpg calculated at 70-75 mph, and comfortable.
Also, it was cheap at 28,865 MSRP and $22,890 out the door, excluding taxes and DMV fees.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts