Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am new to modding and I really want to know if the parts I want to mod are legal in California, I just learned that California has very strict law and regulation regarding aftermarket parts modding.

Exhaust: Borla Mustang ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust 140585 (15-18 EcoBoost Fastback) - Free Shipping
Grille: RTR Mustang Grille w/ LED Accent Vent Lights 389944 (15-17 GT, EcoBoost, V6) - Free Shipping

I want to know if the exhaust is too loud or will pass smog test?
I want to know if the rtr grille legal because of this light regulation ( see picture I found online)
upload_2018-4-25_8-28-59.jpeg

Much appreciated for everyone help in advance.

Thank you,

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you are looking for best bang for the buck, a Cobb access port or an intercooler would be the first thing you should upgrade!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are looking for best bang for the buck, a Cobb access port or an intercooler would be the first thing you should upgrade!
Sorry, newbie here so can you explain what does intercooler do?

·
Registered
859 Posts
First upgrade should be a catch can for sure. Then go with COBB Access port with appropriate upgrades to support each stage.

Reactions: andy21996

·
Super Moderator
6,149 Posts
California peeps pipe in here ... You know which parts are requiring CARB approval and which ones aren't.
The vendors are usually pretty savvy with what parts are legal to run in California.
@Moxman is tied in with a shop and would be a great source emissions in California.

I do not believe that the RTR grille is considered a fog light. It'd be a tight - [email protected]$#% cop that threw down a ticket for those. Your noted rules are generally poised at off-road trucks and the lights on bars on the roof. Yes, CA does not look kindly to "fog" or "driving" lights at or above the level of the headlights. I'm surprised that Ford got away with the "fogs" in the grill of the S197 Mustang.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
California peeps pipe in here ... You know which parts are requiring CARB approval and which ones aren't.
The vendors are usually pretty savvy with what parts are legal to run in California.
@Moxman is tied in with a shop and would be a great source emissions in California.

I do not believe that the RTR grille is considered a fog light. It'd be a tight - [email protected]$#% cop that threw down a ticket for those. Your noted rules are generally poised at off-road trucks and the lights on bars on the roof. Yes, CA does not look kindly to "fog" or "driving" lights at or above the level of the headlights. I'm surprised that Ford got away with the "fogs" in the grill of the S197 Mustang.
Thank you for your helpful answer, I was not sure what "No more than four lamps can be lit at a single time" referring to.
For the exhaust, I asked customer services online shops. They said its legal for emission and such but they are not sure about the noise, and also depend on different region in CA.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Interesting questions. With regard to fog lights, the California Vehicle Code states the height limits (lower and upper) for fog lights. I don't know what the measurements are, specifically, but know that it is a rule. Squid is right; lighting laws are mostly enforced to keep the "monster truck" guys from overdoing it with light bars, etc. I wouldn't worry about putting in a grille with lights in it. Just do it. There's probably not a cop in the entire state who would be able to tell you if the lamps are legal or not; much less even care about it.

With regard to exhaust, the law, in California, is that the exhaust AHEAD of the catalytic converter CANNOT be modified or removed. In the words of the smog program, that's called "tampering." Anything behind the cat is open season for modification. Hence the industry term "cat-back" exhaust. As far as noise goes, there are decibel ratings and standards for testing, but those rules are never enforced. How many times have you heard some guy on a Harley blasting down the road with straight pipes and never has any trouble with cops? Have you ever heard a Shelby GT350 with the active exhaust baffles open? How many times have you seen some guy driving around a total junker with a broken exhaust manifold; with no problems with law enforcement. I just think that exhaust noise is pretty much a non-issue in today's world.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting questions. With regard to fog lights, the California Vehicle Code states the height limits (lower and upper) for fog lights. I don't know what the measurements are, specifically, but know that it is a rule. Squid is right; lighting laws are mostly enforced to keep the "monster truck" guys from overdoing it with light bars, etc. I wouldn't worry about putting in a grille with lights in it. Just do it. There's probably not a cop in the entire state who would be able to tell you if the lamps are legal or not; much less even care about it.

With regard to exhaust, the law, in California, is that the exhaust AHEAD of the catalytic converter CANNOT be modified or removed. In the words of the smog program, that's called "tampering." Anything behind the cat is open season for modification. Hence the industry term "cat-back" exhaust. As far as noise goes, there are decibel ratings and standards for testing, but those rules are never enforced. How many times have you heard some guy on a Harley blasting down the road with straight pipes and never has any trouble with cops? Have you ever heard a Shelby GT350 with the active exhaust baffles open? How many times have you seen some guy driving around a total junker with a broken exhaust manifold; with no problems with law enforcement. I just think that exhaust noise is pretty much a non-issue in today's world.
Thank you for your reply, that answer my question. Regarding exhaust system, as long as I go for "cat-back" exhaust and not touch anything in front of the catalytic converter, then I should be fine correct? I am not very familiar with the term "cat", "cat-less" (illegal?), "cat-back". And local auto shop should be able to tell what is legal or not right? Tried to google what is legal or not legal for exhaust but there is no direct answer and very confusing.

·
Super Moderator
6,149 Posts
"Cat" is your catalytic converter ... In the Mustang EB, it's in the "downpipe" which goes from the turbocharger down to where the exhaust fits in.
"Catless" means that the downpipe does not contain a catalytic converter (yup, illegal there and here as well.)
"Cat Back" indicates a system which bolts onto the end of the downpipe and goes back to the rear of the car. The stock exhaust contains the flange, a pipe to the resonator (fancy name for a empty box), which splits the system into two, and that goes back to the mufflers and tail pipe.
Steve (@Moxman ) knows a shop in San Diego which fabricates a system which bolts to the down pipe, replaces the resonator with one muffler and goes back to two tail pipes at the rear.

It's not just California ... there are federal laws and laws in most if not all states which prohibit the tampering with installed emission control devices. The majority tend to not enforce these laws.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Cat" is your catalytic converter ... In the Mustang EB, it's in the "downpipe" which goes from the turbocharger down to where the exhaust fits in.
"Catless" means that the downpipe does not contain a catalytic converter (yup, illegal there and here as well.)
"Cat Back" indicates a system which bolts onto the end of the downpipe and goes back to the rear of the car. The stock exhaust contains the flange, a pipe to the resonator (fancy name for a empty box), which splits the system into two, and that goes back to the mufflers and tail pipe.
Steve (@Moxman ) knows a shop in San Diego which fabricates a system which bolts to the down pipe, replaces the resonator with one muffler and goes back to two tail pipes at the rear.

It's not just California ... there are federal laws and laws in most if not all states which prohibit the tampering with installed emission control devices. The majority tend to not enforce these laws.
I see, thank you for the explanation.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thank you for your reply, that answer my question. Regarding exhaust system, as long as I go for "cat-back" exhaust and not touch anything in front of the catalytic converter, then I should be fine correct? I am not very familiar with the term "cat", "cat-less" (illegal?), "cat-back". And local auto shop should be able to tell what is legal or not right? Tried to google what is legal or not legal for exhaust but there is no direct answer and very confusing.
I took another look at the two parts that you're interested in. The Borla exhaust is a "cat-back" system and is totally legal in CA. The lights in the RTR grille are LEDs. They would simply augment the daytime running light LEDs that your car already has. I would have no qualms about installing either on my car. The Borla exhaust system looks really well-made of high-quality materials. They're known for that. I say, "go with it."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took another look at the two parts that you're interested in. The Borla exhaust is a "cat-back" system and is totally legal in CA. The lights in the RTR grille are LEDs. They would simply augment the daytime running light LEDs that your car already has. I would have no qualms about installing either on my car. The Borla exhaust system looks really well-made of high-quality materials. They're known for that. I say, "go with it."
Thanks for taking your time to help me out, I appreciate it. I am wondering what do you think of this Borla exhaust, I only listen to the exhaust's sound on clip on youtube and americanmuscle.com for preference, I do not know how it really sound in real life.

I am also interesting in other another exhaust, Krona Performance Mustang B.A.M.F. Catted Turbo-Back Full Exhaust System KP-024 (15-18 Ecoboost) - Free Shipping.
I am looking for an exhaust that have aggressive sound, (not loud fart sound), not too loud that would attract the cop, and performance increase would be a plus (better response, better mileage, ... etc), little to no drone (I do not know what this is but I know that it mean exhaust noise resonating in the cabin).
If you know any good exhaust for Mustang EB, can you recommend me? Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts