Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

I'm planning some upgrades to my eco boost mustang, I daily drive the car,
here are the upgrades im trying to get. hope I get help since some I don't know if will fit on each other (intercooler and pipes)

Cold Air Intake:
Airaid XMP Series cold air intake

anyone here know if the INJEN INTERCOOLER PIPES legal in CA ?
Intercooler pipes:
Injen SES intercooler pipes

Intercooler:
Mishimoto Perfromance Intercooler

Exhaust
MBRP race catback series

these are the few upgrades I wanted to do was wondering if someone can help me specially on the intercooler part and pipes.
I live in CA so as much as possible I would like all the upgrades legal in the states since I wont be able to afford a ticket after I buy these xD :):):):):):):)

thanks for the help guys!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
#1 replace the OEM intercooler. #2 Don't waste you money on a CAI unless your going to do a tune with a CAI that requires a tune. #3 Charge pipes aren't necessary with an OEM replacement after market intercooler so save your money there. #4 OK with exhaust. #5 Skip #1 and get a full race intercooler if you are going to do any performance driving or be a CHP magnet.
What are you going to do with the car? Track, drag, autocross?? Judging by the CAI and the charge pipes, you think you want, do you just want to have cool looking stuff under the hood or do you want real performance?

·
Registered
576 Posts
This ^^^^ esp the CAI. Stick a high flow filter in the stock box and thank us all later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
#1 replace the OEM intercooler. #2 Don't waste you money on a CAI unless your going to do a tune with a CAI that requires a tune. #3 Charge pipes aren't necessary with an OEM replacement after market intercooler so save your money there. #4 OK with exhaust. #5 Skip #1 and get a full race intercooler if you are going to do any performance driving or be a CHP magnet.
What are you going to do with the car? Track, drag, autocross?? Judging by the CAI and the charge pipes, you think you want, do you just want to have cool looking stuff under the hood or do you want real performance?
hello thanks for replying,
as you said i kinda want to look cool at the same time it gives performance
I saw a lot of videos and articles that that changing intercooler pipes really have improvement but I don't really know that's why I found this forums and ask,
the CAI is not tune required I think and can be tuned so if I plan to tuned it its good to go either why, but real reason was is like what most people say upgrade intake intercooler and charge pipes will be a good boost performance wise.

I'm not sure yet if I want to race it yet since I'm not into that thing yet but still possible in the future, currently I only drive it to work and home and some cool places.
and as much as possible I'm only going for direct fits since I don't really know that much on mods and upgrades

thanks for the help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This ^^^^ esp the CAI. Stick a high flow filter in the stock box and thank us all later.
so just upgrading to a high flow filter from the stock intake will give a little boost?
I only know that giving the turbo cold air to circulate is good, the only reason I put the CAI in there and some said it give fuel efficiency.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
576 Posts
A CAI will not give you any benefits over the stock box setup with a high-flow filter in your application as a daily driver. It will likely do the opposite and rob you a few ponys, Its well documented that the stock set up is pretty good up to 450 500bhp. CAI in many cases only really provide you an increase in induction noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A CAI will not give you any benefits over the stock box setup with a high-flow filter in your application as a daily driver. It will likely do the opposite and rob you a few ponys, Its well documented that the stock set up is pretty good up to 450 500bhp. CAI in many cases only really provide you an increase in induction noise.
thank you.. but since I've been reading and watching videos lately.. is it still good to continue the stock intake and just make it a high flow filter if I plan to do lets say the "Ford Performance Tune". will you still recommend the stock with high flow filter over the CAI?.

since I'm here too. do FORD do that tune ? or do I have to buy it at 3rd party and ask a FORD certified to do the tune? sorry new to everything

thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
The Ford performance tune doesn't care what intake is in the car there is no MAF sensor. However I would recommend better filtration over performance every day of the week. Its a no brainer.

You can get either a Ford tune, Canned generic tune from a third party using say a Cobb AP or a pro tune using the same AP. Purple drank tuning offer a life time tune so you can tune as you upgrade.

Generic canned tunes vs pro tunes are day vs night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Ford performance tune doesn't care what intake is in the car there is no MAF sensor. However I would recommend better filtration over performance every day of the week. Its a no brainer.

You can get either a Ford tune, Canned generic tune from a third party using say a Cobb AP or a pro tune using the same AP. Purple drank tuning offer a life time tune so you can tune as you upgrade.

Generic canned tunes vs pro tunes are day vs night.
thanks for info I'm ordering the KnN drop in filter atm. thats a first since its a 30k mile car already
I really dont know where to get a tune or to get the tune? :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:
or do i just buy like this?
or

and do it myself?
or do i have to find someone to do it?
im really a newbie here haha
how is the OEM tune like the ford performance since I still have warranty on the car.( do i go to a ford dealership and ask?)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Several things to consider. If your worried about warranty and you want to "improve" the responsiveness of the car. You can either go Ford Performance (will have to be done be a certified tech and is costly, at least it is here but will have warranty) or you can buy a module or tuning box that plugs into the ECU and acts as a pig back. Most are undetectable once removed as they do not reflash the ECU.

Or you can edge your bets throw caution to the wind and go forth modify and pro tune and say "prove that my modifications was the root course of the componant failure" or hope your Ford garage is modification friendly.

I pretty much modified my car the second i had it. I have had a Cobb Access Port pro tune on my 2017 PP from about 30k its now done over 100k so far only issues Warranty wise were none mechanical and my front suspension. Plus my dealer is pretty good on modifications just slow at organising ****.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Several things to consider. If your worried about warranty and you want to "improve" the responsiveness of the car. You can either go Ford Performance (will have to be done be a certified tech and is costly, at least it is here but will have warranty) or you can buy a module or tuning box that plugs into the ECU and acts as a pig back. Most are undetectable once removed as they do not reflash the ECU.

Or you can edge your bets throw caution to the wind and go forth modify and pro tune and say "prove that my modifications was the root course of the componant failure" or hope your Ford garage is modification friendly.

I pretty much modified my car the second i had it. I have had a Cobb Access Port pro tune on my 2017 PP from about 30k its now done over 100k so far only issues Warranty wise were none mechanical and my front suspension. Plus my dealer is pretty good on modifications just slow at organising ****.
that's nice to hear.. I'm rooting more on the budget side so ill think about the Ford Performance one.. around how much are we talking about that? since the device accessports are around 500-600$.

since I'm only 6k miles away from warranty I wont be thinking that much but is the Cobb pro tune safe to use? I read that the ford performance is the most safe around since its covers warranty.

so I just have to buy this?

and do it myself?
and since I got the KnN drop in filter OTW , is there anything I need to do before I order this one?

thank you please help me more

·
Registered
576 Posts
Can't comment on the Ford Performance Tune in the US as I am in Australia. However they were comparable here cost wise.

The APs flexibility and features such as lunch control flat foot shifting burn out mode. ( we don't have that here ) and 5 map slots that can be changed on the fly as well as monitoring and ease of use and flashing maps won it over for me. All up it cost about the same as a Ford performance tune just much more feature rich

Easy enough to do the AP yourself. Find a tuner tell them want you want, they send you a base map via email you download it and use the AP to flash your ECU, you log two or more WOT data logs and send them back and so on until your tuner says your done.

And yes get an upgraded intercooler the stock one is shockingly poor

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would recommend staying warranty friendly while the warranty is valid to cover any unexpected failures. New engines can run over 7k so if you don't have an extra 7k stay warranty friendly for a couple of years at least just in case there is a defect that requires expensive repair. The only tune that comes with a warranty is the Ford Performance tune that will cover the powertrain for 3/36. If you use a third party tune and something breaks in the engine you may be denied warranty by Ford. With the new CEO promising to tackle warranty costs there may be more scrutiny from Ford dealerships for warranty repairs.

As for bolt on parts, I would recommend staying with direct replacement parts if you want to maintain the warranty. The description of each part should show if it is legal in California or carb certified and if it is a direct replacement part.

As for the CAI, I agree with others on the high flow drop in filter replacement. I also added the Airaid intake tube to improve airflow and dress up the engine bay.

The Injen charge pipes are direct replacement and shouldn't make much of a difference in noticeable power. I added the polished charge pipes to improve air flow and dress up the engine a bit. Adding charge pipes can be problematic because the pipes have been known to blow off after installing them. This happened to me and the Ford dealer that was working on my car. Not really an issue if installed properly but something to be aware of. When tightening the worm clamps use a racket and not a screw driver to tighten them. Also, start carrying a tool kit around to fix on the road if they blow off or you will be limping to a shop.

The mishimoto intercooler you selected is a direct replacement part and carb certified. However, moving up to a race series intercooler is not technically direct replacement and may be an issue if warranty work is needed so I would recommend the street series you selected.

Here is a pic of my engine showing the top Injen polished pipe and Airaid intake tube.

Reactions: StuckXJ

·
Registered
62 Posts
If your looking to make some noise under the hood I would skip the cold air intake and get a blow off valve they run around $50 and are fun to drive with in my opinion. Another under the hood upgrade I haven't seen mentioned is a catch oil can. Mine fills up every 1-2k miles so it seems worthwhile to me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If your looking to make some noise under the hood I would skip the cold air intake and get a blow off valve they run around $50 and are fun to drive with in my opinion. Another under the hood upgrade I haven't seen mentioned is a catch oil can. Mine fills up every 1-2k miles so it seems worthwhile to me.
I just had warranty service on my turbo and the dealer sent my a bulletin from Ford that flags blow off valve, wastegate actuator, CAI, exhaust modifications, and a tune as possible causes of a turbo failure. They had no problems with the charge pipes and intercooler because they were direct replacement parts that use all OEM connections such as the stock blow off valve. When replacing the blow off valve it would be a good idea to keep the old one handy in case you need to bring the car in for warranty service. The dealer at first claimed I had an aftermarket bov because I have aftermarket charge pipes but that was not the case.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just had warranty service on my turbo and the dealer sent my a bulletin from Ford that flags blow off valve, wastegate actuator, and a tune as possible causes of a turbo failure. They had no problems with the charge pipes and intercooler because they were direct replacement parts that use all OEM connections such as the stock blow off valve. When replacing the blow off valve it would be a good idea to keep the old one handy in case you need to bring the car in for warranty service. The dealer at first claimed I had an aftermarket bov because I have aftermarket charge pipes but that was not the case.
Its actually a bypass valve that connects to the blow off valve. I haven't seen or heard of any issues with using it and it would be very simple to remove if you take it in to get serviced. Id stick to the stock wastegate unless you get a pro tune though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Its actually a bypass valve that connects to the blow off valve. I haven't seen or heard of any issues with using it and it would be very simple to remove if you take it in to get serviced. Id stick to the stock wastegate unless you get a pro tune though.

There is no stock blow off valve on these cars, just an electric by pass valve. You can just un do the hose from the factory bpv to get the same noise, no need to spend money on the adapter if you just want the sound.

·
Registered
576 Posts
There is no stock blow off valve on these cars, just an electric by pass valve. You can just un do the hose from the factory bpv to get the same noise, no need to spend money on the adapter if you just want the sound.
In these "low boost" daily driver or fast road applications that is literally all it ever will be. A sound effect.

·
Registered
130 Posts
hello,

I'm planning some upgrades to my eco boost mustang, I daily drive the car,
here are the upgrades im trying to get. hope I get help since some I don't know if will fit on each other (intercooler and pipes)

Cold Air Intake:
Airaid XMP Series cold air intake

anyone here know if the INJEN INTERCOOLER PIPES legal in CA ?
Intercooler pipes:
Injen SES intercooler pipes

Intercooler:
Mishimoto Perfromance Intercooler

Exhaust
MBRP race catback series

these are the few upgrades I wanted to do was wondering if someone can help me specially on the intercooler part and pipes.
I live in CA so as much as possible I would like all the upgrades legal in the states since I wont be able to afford a ticket after I buy these xD :):):):):):):)

thanks for the help guys!!
A lot of good input here, but since a lot of people aren't in CA, I can comment on CA friendly parts. You won't have to smog the car for several years, so nothing to worry about there. As far as getting a ticket for them, can't really do anything there, it's just a gamble (that usually falls heavily in your favor, but still a gamble nonetheless). If you get pulled over and the cop sees anything aftermarket and/or just wants to be a jerk, he'll send you to the state smog referee for an inspection. At that point, you'll need to make sure you're either 100% stock or that any aftermarket part/modification is CARB compliant. The parts on your list that have CARB approvals are: Airraid intake, Mishi intercooler, and Cobb AP. Some of them may offer different versions, so make sure you're buying the CARB approved version...OR just save all of your stock parts and put them back on before taking the car in for inspection.

No need to worry about CARB approval on a cat back exhaust.

With that being said, as someone else has said, don't mod the motor if you're still under warranty and/or can't afford to replace the motor. These motors aren't rock solid reliable when modded and to this day I only see theories rather than hard facts on why some motors blow and some don't. There are plenty of people driving modded Ecoboosts with no issues, but there are also enough people who have blown them to make me not to want to risk a new motor showing up on my credit card statement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A lot of good input here, but since a lot of people aren't in CA, I can comment on CA friendly parts. You won't have to smog the car for several years, so nothing to worry about there. As far as getting a ticket for them, can't really do anything there, it's just a gamble (that usually falls heavily in your favor, but still a gamble nonetheless). If you get pulled over and the cop sees anything aftermarket and/or just wants to be a jerk, he'll send you to the state smog referee for an inspection. At that point, you'll need to make sure you're either 100% stock or that any aftermarket part/modification is CARB compliant. The parts on your list that have CARB approvals are: Airraid intake, Mishi intercooler, and Cobb AP. Some of them may offer different versions, so make sure you're buying the CARB approved version...OR just save all of your stock parts and put them back on before taking the car in for inspection.

No need to worry about CARB approval on a cat back exhaust.

With that being said, as someone else has said, don't mod the motor if you're still under warranty and/or can't afford to replace the motor. These motors aren't rock solid reliable when modded and to this day I only see theories rather than hard facts on why some motors blow and some don't. There are plenty of people driving modded Ecoboosts with no issues, but there are also enough people who have blown them to make me not to want to risk a new motor showing up on my credit card statement.
If using the Cobb AP, couldn't you return to stock tune prior to dealer ship appointment?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts