Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone

Just bout a 2016 @ 17,000km on the clock. What can I say I couldn't be happier.

Now to address some first questions.

1 - dealing with "ohh it's not a V8 d**kheads"
- I've already received comments from 4 different people, and funny enough they all drive sh1t boxes😄 It's actually quite amusing.
The way I see it if you buy 4 cylinder eco then you gotta be proud of it

Interested to hear your comebacks to these comments? 😁

2 - I have a manual and I found that I need to wait for the computer to ramp up for a few seconds after the clutch before I can turn it on. I found this to be very inconvenient if you say accidentally stall on a hill on the lights.

What's the deal with this how do you start the Mustang quicker?

3 - addressing The notorious exhaust noise. Any recommendations to change the sound without spending a fortune? - put simply mine makes a farting noise when I start it up.

4 - I had a Mustang owner tell me his stock suspension unloaded and he went sideways on a turn what does he mean by this?

Other questions it's my third day with the car and I couldn't be happier!

Lastly I noticed people are actually quite jealous, hence the comments.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1. Ignore them.
2. I've been driving mine (with a manual) for nearly 4 years and this has never been a problem, so not sure what to tell you.
3. You get what you pay for. Good exhaust can be had inexpensively, but you're going to have to wait for sales to come up. I seldom make direct suggestions, but do a search for "Moxman Exhaust". It's not getting you name brand, but something slightly custom, that usually doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
4. It's an old school way to describe wheel hop. On hard launches, the rear suspension may start to bounce/hop. Some people say this car has a lot of it and turn to the various suspension kits from the likes of Steeda or BMR. Personally I've never had an issue with it, but then I'm not a drag racer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!
1 - ignore them

2. I've been driving mine (with a manual) for nearly 4 years and this has never been a problem, so not sure what to tell you.
3. You get what you pay for. Good exhaust can be had inexpensively,

4. It's an old school way to describe wheel hop.
Thanks!

Interesting, illhave to check this out as my car does not start, UNLESS i wait for the aircon to full ramp up, then it turns on. (2 - 5 seconds after clutch)

I do feel some suspension give on road dips at high speed, but nothing extreme...nothing sideways even when cornering, infact the wheels grip straight back into the road after. But being new to the car i only have questions not answers.

another question, I feel like i might be driving the car too hard last few days. lets just say iam enjoying overtaking and having fun with other V6's and the likes on the road, my max revs tend to get to 3800 before each gear change ( usually upto 120 - 140km/ph)

on the highway i was easily going from 140 to 160 in 6th at times when i needed to overtake and just keep flying.

from your experience, would this be pushing the car abit to hard? or is it made for it?

I know its a naive question but i would want to know what others find "pushing hard"

head temp - 85-89 degrees (C)
inlet temp - 30 degrees (C)
on average

Thanks again

·
Registered
570 Posts
Welcome! Zhent covered the questions pretty well Here’s little add on.

1. I had a 17 GT PP, 99% of the V8 idiots never test drove the eco and have no idea of the performance available. They are “bought not built” people.

2. This is a fairly common complaint, seems mostly to be 17’s and before, my 17 F150 3.5 eco is much happier if I give it a few minutes for the computer systems to boot up....my 19 eco mustang boots almost immediately, I have a feeling that its battery related, most mornings lately my battery has been showing 11.7 in the morning.

3. Exhausts for these cars is stupid expensive, buy a down pipe and have the resonator removed, replace the mufflers with straight through turbo friendly ones. Anyway custom exhaust is a less expensive option.......lol! Custom is cheaper, don’t think I ever said that before.

4. Too much accelerator pedal and/or ****ty tires, will do it every time.

·
Super Moderator
2,966 Posts
7,000 RPM is pushing it. 3800 is just in the sweet spot. No issues with that.

I can and have hit over 120MPH (190 KPH) on an open highway, and even faster on a road course. Always watch your speed around other motorists, but as far as "pushing it" your car isn't even breathing hard yet.

I don't monitor either head temp or inlet temp. The important one isn't shown by the stock gauges, Charge Air Temp, the air after the turbo and intercooler... It routinely gets up to 43-54C if sitting still (I'm having to convert from Fahrenheit.) Heck I've seen over 43C while moving here in Texas. If the stock intercooler hasn't been replaced yet, look into that before even exhaust. Everyone wants to make their car sound cooler, but really you need to make it run cooler.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congrats on the new Eco man! I always wanted an s15 growing up and this car is a nice equivalent with modernity, and I can be proud to have bought American. I still have idiots telling me to buy a coyote mustang but I tell them I wanted the turbo, I didn't make a mistake and didn't want a big v8. Insurance is cheaper, gas is cheaper, and the look on a v8 Challenger's face from losing a rollrace to a 4cylinder is priceless. If you want a rwd turbo 4cyl coupe for 20k used you'll be hard pressed to find much else with a solid powerplant (as long as you don't do stupid stuff like floor it in 6th or boost it above 400-450hp) and with such immense aftermarket support. I've had my '15 EB for 2yrs now and I still smile every time I turn around and look at it as I'm walking into work.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
1 - dealing with "ohh it's not a V8 d**kheads"
Yes, I shed a tear of pity every time I drive by a GT sitting at a gas pump.

2 - I have a manual and I found that I need to wait for the computer to ramp up for a few seconds after the clutch before I can turn it on.
Hmmm. When I get in my car I push in the clutch, then hit the starter button. There's never a pause; the starter engages immediately. Are you having this issue on the first start of the drive, or following an inadvertent engine stall?

Any recommendations to change the sound without spending a fortune?
Engine sound is such a personal taste thing it's hard for one person to make a recommendation to another. The best advice I can give you is to go to American Muscle and listen to all the sound examples they have for the various systems they sell. For me, I haven't heard anything that trips my trigger, so I'm completely stock. The design of this engine incorporates the turbo directly on the exhaust manifold which reduces the amount of area to pressurize before spinning up the turbine. This is great for reducing turbo lag, but terrible for making good exhaust noises.

Luckily, I have a Premium coupe with the factory subwoofer sound system, and I like to listen to my music loud. I wouldn't be able to hear a louder exhaust system anyway.

I had a Mustang owner tell me his stock suspension unloaded and he went sideways on a turn what does he mean by this?
You would have to have that guy/gal expound on what they mean. I will say this: if you are considering suspension mods, be careful. If you decide to lower the car make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. You can put lowering springs on the car to make it look better, but if you don't ALSO do something with the shocks you will sacrifice handling and ride quality. If you are looking for better performance (cornering, handling, etc.) you will almost always sacrifice ride quality. To get better performance without sacrificing ride quality means lots of money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for replies. its day 5 in my Mustang and gotta say just WOW.

just to touch base on the questions

1 - V8 GT's - saw a GT sitting nice and slow in the left hand lane going 90km/h and the guy didnt looks happy ( could of had a bad day at work) not to mention saw another 2 GT's sitting at the petrol station :D

2 - LATE START UP - guess what , i was not pushing the button in hard enough and for long enough, who would have thought :rolleyes:

3 - EXHAUST NOISE - in the end iam not a massive enthusiast to go spending $$ on modifying my car, i will probably stick with what i have.

4 - SUSPENSION - again iam pretty happy with what i have, and the suspension feels fine to me iam keeping the car stock for now thats for sure.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
98 Posts
"2 - LATE START UP - guess what , i was not pushing the button in hard enough and for long enough, who would have thought :rolleyes:"

It's probably nothing to worry about, but I only have to lightly tap the start button to make it start. No holding the button down or anything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome aboard!
My experience with the actual V8 owners has never been an issue and I can cover any doubters with a quick ride.
Not aware of the delayed start issue but I have caught myself out several tomes not quite getting the clutch and start button coordinated, when I'm in a rush. :)
I've made a few mods down the Cobb path and couldn't be happier with the performance and sound. Went with a 'GT style custom tune' rather than a 'drag tune', as I use the car everyday for work - its about the torque baby! Happy factor way up; fuel consumption not noticeably affected on local 98. As Zhent has said, monitor the Charge Temp and keep the revs in the torque band for miles of smiles.
The car has been much more settled and predictable on the Michelins, compared to the original Pirellis; particularly when cold - well Sydney cold not US cold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Regarding the v8 elitests - funny you say that you only see people with ****boxes talking down on ecos. Ive experienced the EXACT same thing. I have received no hate from v8 mustangs. And not only that, but the ****boxes only talk **** online. I go to car meets and no one has anything bad to say to my face. One of my closest friends in the car community drives a stage 3 roush gt and it makes like 650 whp (i think, i could be a little off). He loves my car and has never said anything bad. Ignore the haters, 99% of the time they drive '98 straight piped hondas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where i live ( Gold Coast Australia) there is always someone yelling something..but it always tends to happen when you are driving away and cant react ( funny that)

just for discussion, Overall ive had good responses, most people are slightly envious especially young kids and older guys ( iam 29)

girls like the car too, not all.. but i do catch looks quite often. The McDonalds drive through is also popular, people look at the car as their ordering and i get alot of young teens in their 2000's cars reving past. Overall...people dont really care that its not a V8. A few do but that is their problem .

coming from a line of older pickup trucks/utes this is a interesting change for me, i dont have a red carpet but i have noticed the head turns.

So far the only problem ( if its a problem) is acceleration from first to third. feels like a lot of rough gear changing is going on before i can get it to really take off in 3rd.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I noticed more of the V8 haters when I first purchased my 2015 EcoBoost PP in January 2015. Since then it seems the negative comments have come down to almost nothing now that the goup has seen what our package is capable of producing in terms of power, torque, and handling. And with 1 notable exception, I never heard negatives at any of the cruise-ins or shows. It was always on the road or in parking lots. In most cases I ignored it, and in a few, showed them the error of their ways. Skip forward to now and my car turns a lot of heads including the V8 crowd, and I get mostly positive comments, and even the negatives are more ritualistic rivalry rather than anything truly heartfelt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts