Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I just purchased a COBB AP and currenty I have a high flow drop in filter with a straight pipe catback, I'm sure that I could run without problems a stage 1. The thing is that I saw on the COBB page that to run a stage 2 you will need their intercooler and a custom CAI.

Is this needed? I just don't get why you need to waste 850$ for their intercooler when you can get a CP-e for a lot less and also saw that you don't even need to replace the stock intake if you have a high flow drop in.

What would be the HP numbers for this setup (CP-e intercooler, HF drop in, straight pipe catback)?
Also do I need a turboback?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Any quality intercooler will do. The best intake for performance is the stock box with a high flow filter and the airaid modular intake tube, although stock intake with just a high flow filter is fine. Th most restrictive part of the cat back exhaust is the resonator section. I would do a full-size intercooler of your choosing, airaid intake tube, full 3" downpipe, replace the 2.5" resonator section between the dp and y-split with 3" piping.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Any intercooler will do, and its a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED mod for running a more aggressive tune than stock. CP-e has great prices on their IC right now. Replacing the cat has been known to cause a CEL, and is usually not recommended unless your running a custom tune that can accommodate the O2 sensor differences between the stock cat & the hi-flow cat (or trick it with a spacer). Not sure of what the exact numbers you will be hitting. But just know that most of us are running anywhere between 30-100hp over stock, because most of us are tuned. Some more aggressively than others.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any quality intercooler will do. The best intake for performance is the stock box with a high flow filter and the airaid modular intake tube, although stock intake with just a high flow filter is fine. Th most restrictive part of the cat back exhaust is the resonator section. I would do a full-size intercooler of your choosing, airaid intake tube, full 3" downpipe, replace the 2.5" resonator section between the dp and y-split with 3" piping.
Yeah I was going to get the airaid tube too, do I need to replace the downpipe tho? I don't really want to damage the engine, I saw that it could get some lights up or something...
Thanks ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah I was going to get the airaid tube too, do I need to replace the downpipe tho? I don't really want to damage the engine, I saw that it could get some lights up or something...
Thanks ;)
A downpipe can and most likely will cause a check engine light. This is not because of harm to the engine, but because the car notices a problem with the emissions system. It uses two oxygen sensors for the exhaust. One before the catalytic converter and one after. The one before the catalytic converter is what tells the ECU what the actual air fuel mixture is and the car uses this reading to adjust the tune on the engine as you drive. The sensor after the cat is used to measure the effectiveness of the catalytic converter itself. If you change the downpipe to one with a high flow cat or even no cat at all, the second sensor will notice the change and display a check engine light along with corresponding ECU codes. This will not do harm to the engine, but you will have to live with having the engine light on unless you take measures to prevent the light from coming on, such as a custom tune or a spacer between the sensor and the exhaust that fools the sensor into thinking the catalytic converter system is working correctly. It is also illegal in some states to alter an exhaust system whatsoever, and illegal in all states to run with no catalytic converter.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Any intercooler will do, and its a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED mod for running a more aggressive tune than stock. CP-e has great prices on their IC right now. Replacing the cat has been known to cause a CEL, and is usually not recommended unless your running a custom tune that can accommodate the O2 sensor differences between the stock cat & the hi-flow cat (or trick it with a spacer). Not sure of what the exact numbers you will be hitting. But just know that most of us are running anywhere between 30-100hp over stock, because most of us are tuned. Some more aggressively than others.
What he said :)

Reactions: gatornek

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
@archem, you should be fine with most aftermarket intercoolers and Stage 2. Stage 3 is for when you replace the stock downpipe. I'm running Stage 2 right now, and am thinking about doing the DP and Stage 3 later this year, and maybe custom tune next year. Just going one step at a time, and having fun with each step up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts