Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to install a catch can that I had out in the garage on the clean side of the crankcase ventilation system. My plan was the same as my approach to all my other turbo cars which was to disconnect the hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake at the intake then put a catch can on the end of the hose with a filter.

I did this and got the code noted above within 10 miles and came back again when cleared. So I removed the filter on the catch can and ran a line back to the connection on the intake. I thought this took care of the code but it came back after about 100 miles.

My question what does this sensor in the line measure and how would adding a catch can make it report the line is disconnected?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too would like to know. I got this code after installing the Stage 1 Boomba catch can. Cleared the code a few times and still kept coming back. Bypassed can with just hose and still got the code. Ending up buying a new OEM hose installed and no code.

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
I too would like to know. I got this code after installing the Stage 1 Boomba catch can. Cleared the code a few times and still kept coming back. Bypassed can with just hose and still got the code. Ending up buying a new OEM hose installed and no code.
Reach out to @Boomba Racing to see what their take is on this.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hmmm... I just have Boomba's stage 2 catch can. I haven't gotten any of those codes though. Not sure why you would get them from the clean side. Only thing I can think of is if it needs a check valve.

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
Kind of sounds like a connector was damaged when the original hose was put back. It may be causing a leak to the atmosphere. Replacing the hose (as @wagners did) cleared the fault with a good connector.

(I have a Mishimoto catch can and have had no codes show up.)

·
Vendor
746 Posts
Other than the issue that wagners posted about, we have not heard of anyone else having an issue like this. It is more than likely that the sensor was damaged during installation because the addition of a catch can should not alter things in such a way that a check engine light would be thrown.

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
Other than the issue that wagners posted about, we have not heard of anyone else having an issue like this. It is more than likely that the sensor was damaged during installation because the addition of a catch can should not alter things in such a way that a check engine light would be thrown.
Where is the sensor? It is likely it is the issue with both episodes.
One of them was fixed with a new pipe, which may contain this sensor?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sensor is in the line between the valve cover and the intake tube.

Don't know how the sensor would have been damaged in my case. I unplugged the line from the intake tube, plugged in a fitting, ran a hose to the catch can and another hose back to the intake tube. The factory line is strapped to a bracket after the sensor so the sensor was never disturbed.

FWIW, today I got a P051D, which is crank case pressure is high. I am taking off the clean side catch can tomorrow and going back to stock. After about 300 miles this week the can didn't even have a coating inside so it is not doing enough to make the check engine lights worth living with. I will leave the can on the dirty side on.

Dave

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I removed the clean side catch can and went back to stock. I put about 100 miles on the car and no codes.

If someone figures out how to get around the sensor I may out it back but for now I just have the catch can between the PCV and intake manifold which is where the majority of the oil is captured anyway.

Dave

·
Banned
746 Posts
I removed the clean side catch can and went back to stock. I put about 100 miles on the car and no codes.

If someone figures out how to get around the sensor I may out it back but for now I just have the catch can between the PCV and intake manifold which is where the majority of the oil is captured anyway.

Dave
Check engine light came on last night....Car is running fine. Dropped it off at dealer this morning. I was told it was code P04DB. My service manager is pretty cool but his mechanic told him that the AFTERMARKET parts were not installed properly.(JLT and Steeda TBS) And thats what tripped the code. I installed those parts 2 months ago. So they "fixed" everything under warranty, but driving home I'm now hearing an occasional escape of air. I know the noise the JLT makes....but I'm hearing something else going on. I feel like I'm in a pickle now...I wasn't charged for "fixing" an aftermarket install, but Its not running like it did when I dropped it off. Any tricks out there to isolate a possible leak?

·
Registered
244 Posts
On the JLT there is a "vent to air" valve on it that usually has a rubber cap installed. Is it partially on or cracked for some reason?

·
Registered
244 Posts
You are absolutely right ....... after I posted, went out and looked at mine and realized my mistake ........... o_O

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed a airaid cold air intake in my ecoboost and my engine check light came and my access port said it was this code p04db. Any suggestions please & thanks

·
Registered
816 Posts
Retrace your install and check to make sure everything is still connected. Also if you put a oil catch can on recheck there too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi guys. I'm having the same code come up with my Airaid CAI. The dealer wants me to remove it so they can diagnose it better. They think it's the pcv hose the runs from the crankcase to the intake. I was looking at the response from Ecostang and was wondering if the vacuum hose you are talking about is the pcv hose on the passenger side. That is the only hose that was disconnected during installation. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts