Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having a misfire issue after installing cvfab race intercooler. I was on stage 1 Cobb tune before the intercooler and at max had a misfire count of 3 on cold start occasionally and never any negative ignition correction. Immediately after the install I started it up and misfire count went high as well as negative correction so I reset the ecu thinking it needed to relearn or such. Which of course after it ran quite a bit better but now I get misfire count up to about 50 to a 100 depending on how many pulls I do. This is within a 30 min drive. However I rarely see negative ignition correction and when I do it’s max -2. I would also note that I never feel or notice the misfires either. I will post a data-log of a run after work.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I’m having a misfire issue after installing cvfab race intercooler. I was on stage 1 Cobb tune before the intercooler and at max had a misfire count of 3 on cold start occasionally and never any negative ignition correction. Immediately after the install I started it up and misfire count went high as well as negative correction so I reset the ecu thinking it needed to relearn or such. Which of course after it ran quite a bit better but now I get misfire count up to about 50 to a 100 depending on how many pulls I do. This is within a 30 min drive. However I rarely see negative ignition correction and when I do it’s max -2. I would also note that I never feel or notice the misfires either. I will post a data-log of a run after work.
Double check your Intercooler installation. Just Incase something got discounted or unplugged.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Make sure the sensors o ring did not get nicked or cut when installing in the IC and that it is fully seated flush in the IC and screw is tight. Lube the o ring with some light oil to help it slide into the IC.

BD

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure the sensors o ring did not get nicked or cut when installing in the IC and that it is fully seated flush in the IC and screw is tight. Lube the o ring with some light oil to help it slide into the IC.

BD
alright, would a minor boost leak as such cause the misfire?

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's not likely a minor boost leak should cause a misfire, but it is possible. I am surprised there is no DTCs being set though.

Are the misfire counts being set only at WOT or at part throttle as well?

If you brake load the engine, do you feel any misfires or does the cobb show misfires occurring.

What is your max boost pressure at WOT pull.

BD

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,236 Posts
Have you checked your plugs haven't backed out ?
How many miles on your plugs. ?
Are they gapped accordingly ?
Do you have the correct heat range ?

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not likely a minor boost leak should cause a misfire, but it is possible. I am surprised there is no DTCs being set though.

Are the misfire counts being set only at WOT or at part throttle as well?

If you brake load the engine, do you feel any misfires or does the cobb show misfires occurring.

What is your max boost pressure at WOT pull.

BD
It seems as though I get maybe 1 every now and then at partial throttle but for the majority it’s all full throttle. Brake load the engine as in downshift(engine braking)? I just get loud noise and a few pops from my burble tune but that it is nothing odd. The max boost I am seeing at WOT is a couple decimals over 25psi. May I also note that I drove the car in the heat of texas just a few minutes ago and reached 8 misfire within a span of 25 minutes but only went WOT a few times. I do notice that perhaps the misfire is more common in cool weather like at night or perhaps it’s just a fluke. I’ll have a data log coming your way soon, thank you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you checked your plugs haven't backed out ?
How many miles on your plugs. ?
Are they gapped accordingly ?
Do you have the correct heat range ?
Haven’t checked the plugs, I’ll get back to you with that! Also they are pre gapped from Tune Plus. They are also one step colder.
There are also about 7000 miles on the plugs.

·
Registered
647 Posts
It seems as though I get maybe 1 every now and then at partial throttle but for the majority it’s all full throttle. Brake load the engine as in downshift(engine braking)? I just get loud noise and a few pops from my burble tune but that it is nothing odd. The max boost I am seeing at WOT is a couple decimals over 25psi. May I also note that I drove the car in the heat of texas just a few minutes ago and reached 8 misfire within a span of 25 minutes but only went WOT a few times. I do notice that perhaps the misfire is more common in cool weather like at night or perhaps it’s just a fluke. I’ll have a data log coming your way soon, thank you!

By brake loading the engine I mean at a stop with foot firmly on brake apply throttle to see if you can feel the engine misfiring since in your first post you stated you do not feel any misfires. Brake loading will allow you to feel if the engine misfires without road inputs when driving, you can go to 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for brief periods (less than 15 seconds at a time) for 2 or 3 times to see if you actually feel a misfire occurring.

Also do as Horcy1 states check plugs, coil connections and coil boots that attach to the plugs for issues or damage.

The fact that the issue is occurring after the IC install means you need to double check all the work you did installing it for loose connections or other connectors or hoses getting knock loose or damaged.

BD

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,236 Posts
Haven’t checked the plugs, I’ll get back to you with that! Also they are pre gapped from Tune Plus. They are also one step colder.
There are also about 7000 miles on the plugs.
There have been several post that pre gapped tune plus plugs are not gapped correctly.
These plugs in this application require to be changed out between 10k and 12k miles but it's not un common on modified cars that the plugs require changing before that.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
"pops from my burble tune but that it is nothing odd. The max boost I am seeing at WOT is a couple decimals over 25psi"

I'm a little confused, how did you get a burble tune on your car while running an OTS Cobb tune?

"I was on stage 1 Cobb tune before the intercooler"

I'll amit, I don't understand everything a Turner does to create a burble tune, but I'm guessing it has nothing to do with engine performance.
And did you install the OTS stage 2 tune after installing your Intercooler?

Reactions: Buldawg76

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By brake loading the engine I mean at a stop with foot firmly on brake apply throttle to see if you can feel the engine misfiring since in your first post you stated you do not feel any misfires. Brake loading will allow you to feel if the engine misfires without road inputs when driving, you can go to 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for brief periods (less than 15 seconds at a time) for 2 or 3 times to see if you actually feel a misfire occurring.

Also do as Horcy1 states check plugs, coil connections and coil boots that attach to the plugs for issues or damage.

The fact that the issue is occurring after the IC install means you need to double check all the work you did installing it for loose connections or other connectors or hoses getting knock loose or damaged.

BD
I do not notice a misfire now and of course, as soon as I mention it the issue is seemingly mitigated or gone however I will attach the datalogs. I will double-check my work as well as have someone else look over it with me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There have been several post that pre gapped tune plus plugs are not gapped correctly.
These plugs in this application require to be changed out between 10k and 12k miles but it's not un common on modified cars that the plugs require changing before that.
Alrighty I'll go ahead and order some more just to be safe and swap them out as soon as I get them!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"pops from my burble tune but that it is nothing odd. The max boost I am seeing at WOT is a couple decimals over 25psi"

I'm a little confused, how did you get a burble tune on your car while running an OTS Cobb tune?

"I was on stage 1 Cobb tune before the intercooler"

I'll amit, I don't understand everything a Turner does to create a burble tune, but I'm guessing it has nothing to do with engine performance.
And did you install the OTS stage 2 tune after installing your Intercooler?
PD tune offers burble tune added onto any cobb tune of your choice. I have not installed the Stage 2 however i will try it if you recommend it? I have stock intake box with a k&n filter, CvFab Race intercooler, 1 step colder plugs, Borla Atak Cat Back, as well as CvFab Charge Pipes.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
PD tune offers burble tune added onto any cobb tune of your choice. I have not installed the Stage 2 however i will try it if you recommend it? I have stock intake box with a k&n filter, CvFab Race intercooler, 1 step colder plugs, Borla Atak Cat Back, as well as CvFab Charge Pipes.
Learn something new every day! Thought the "burble" was a Pro Tune add on... As for stage 2, you should be clear to install it, now that you have your Intercooler. You may want to also, pull your plugs, clean and re-gap them (save $40).

Reactions: Buldawg76
1 - 20 of 77 Posts