Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at installing an oil catch can on my 2018. I notice 2 choices, drivers side and passenger side. Passenger side seems easier to install from the top, no lift required. Any one have an idea if one is better than the other?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
90% of the oily fumes pass through the PCV system on the driver's side of the car.

If you are only going to have one it needs to be on the driver's side.

The clean side line on the passenger side has a sensor in it. You will trip a code if you put a catch can on that line. But, Ford Performance has come out with a catch can for both sides. The passenger side one has a sensor in the line they provide. Presumably it addresses the code issue.

Your other choice is one of the dual valve catch cans like the one from UPR that through the clever use of check valves and the low pressure point in front of the turbo will pull the oily fumes through the PCV system on the driver's side whether you are on boost or off boost. This unit happens to mount on the passenger side but is not part of the clean side line.

Dave

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Go with the UPR dual valve like he said. I've installed it on my 2017. Install is straightforward however one of the pcv lines is under the intake manifold which is hard to get to unless you put the car on a lift or take the manifold off. The dual valve uses a coupler attached between the intake tube and turbo to provide a vacuum line for the catch can.
90% of the oily fumes pass through the PCV system on the driver's side of the car.

If you are only going to have one it needs to be on the driver's side.

The clean side line on the passenger side has a sensor in it. You will trip a code if you put a catch can on that line. But, Ford Performance has come out with a catch can for both sides. The passenger side one has a sensor in the line they provide. Presumably it addresses the code issue.

Your other choice is one of the dual valve catch cans like the one from UPR that through the clever use of check valves and the low pressure point in front of the turbo will pull the oily fumes through the PCV system on the driver's side whether you are on boost or off boost. This unit happens to mount on the passenger side but is not part of the clean side line.

Dave

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just purchased the both side of the catch can from Ford Performance.
I did it for the reasons 1. they seemed to be the most knowledgeable 2. They are the only company that provided a complete solution 3. No warranty issues 4. Draining the cans is very easy.
The only issues I had is the way the passenger side catch was suppose to be installed. Instead of using the supplied bracket clips I chose to use screw butterfly for attachment.

I wished the catch can had a external way of seeing how much fluid was in each of the cans.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The UPR dual valve catch can doesn't even have an external oil level check. I just unscrew the container from the catch can assembly and check the oil level that way, It's not that hard to do and you can empty the waste oil if the can is full. I've gone well over 1,000 miles and still have yet to fill up the can since I installed it. I will agree if you have the FP oil separators installed at a dealership, you can preserve the factory warranty if you still have one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I installed a JLT catch can back in July 2020. This is a driver's side (dirty) system. I put the car on a set of ramps and got to the lower catch can fitting relatively easy. I was not planning to save the old factory line so I just broke off the factory fittings and installed the JLT supplied lines. The install looks great. I captured 2 tablespoons of oil sludge in 1,000 miles and kept that crap out of my engine and off of my valves. It may avoid the need for a valve cleaning.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Less oil fumes/sludge in the intake charge keeps from diluting the fuel octane also
I added the JLT dirty side oil separator after flashing the ECU for this reason. The stock tune can compensate for low octane events but a tuned ECU requires a more consistent and higher level of octane. Low octane events when tuned can contribute to ecoboom via detonation, pre-ignition, etc. A flashed ECU will increase torque so there will be increased blow by and therefore more octane dilution at the precise time when octane is most important. At least that is my theory based on what I have read. After 500 miles I have about a shot glass of sludge collected in the can.

Some Ford dealerships offer an air/fuel induction cleaning for 189 that will help keep the valves clean if you don;t have a catch can. I had this service done at 40k miles right after I added the JLT.

Reactions: black1125 and Fritz

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank you for the analysis and insight. In past years since the introduction of the EB Mustang, dealers were not recommending catch cans or air/fuel induction cleaning. When I bought my 2018 EB the dealer did not recommend an oil catch can when I asked. Since I installed a Cobb Stage one tune, I believed a catch can was necessary. At the time of my last oil change this month, the technician discussed a air/fuel induction service. I think Ford has finally caught on.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thank you for the analysis and insight. In past years since the introduction of the EB Mustang, dealers were not recommending catch cans or air/fuel induction cleaning. When I bought my 2018 EB the dealer did not recommend an oil catch can when I asked. Since I installed a Cobb Stage one tune, I believed a catch can was necessary. At the time of my last oil change this month, the technician discussed a air/fuel induction service. I think Ford has finally caught on.
Ford performance recommends adding an oil separator with a tune. This is from the 2015-17 Ford Performance website.

• Oil separator kits M-6766-A23 and M-6766-A23S recommended.

Reactions: Fritz

·
Registered
83 Posts
The dealer I bought my 2018 Mustang EB from is owned by a large "corporate" investor, not a mom & pop dealership. I asked the Service Manager about a Ford Performance Tune and he did not recommend it and declined to install it. After checking around the Metro Atlanta area, I found most Ford dealers were not performance oriented. One dealer in North Georgia would do the install but they were too far away. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The dealer I bought my 2018 Mustang EB from is owned by a large "corporate" investor, not a mom & pop dealership. I asked the Service Manager about a Ford Performance Tune and he did not recommend it and declined to install it. After checking around the Metro Atlanta area, I found most Ford dealers were not performance oriented. One dealer in North Georgia would do the install but they were too far away. Thanks for the info.
You do not need the dealer to install the FP tune to keep the warranty, just an ASE Certified technician. I would recommend a local performance shop over a dealer. They do this type of work all the time and are going to be more experienced and cheaper.

FWIW, I installed mine myself and had my son generate a receipt for 1 hours labor from his shops system. I emailed that receipt, the purchase receipt for the tune and a copy of my son's ASE Master Tech Certification to Ford Performance and had email confirmation back in less than 2 hours that the tune had been registered to my VIN.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank you for the input. You are a lucky guy to have a mechanic for a son. I had to bribe my son to help me install the Cobb intercooler. A muffler shop did my catback system. I installed the Cobb Accessport V3 Stage 2 (93 octane), JLT catch can and Steeda stuff myself. I still like my car mods DIY, but I would have appreciated a family member with a lift. Most of all I appreciate all the advise and input from this enthusiast Community; I would not have attempted the mods without your all's help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts