Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Observations on my vehicles:
I just got my third oil change reminder on my 2020 EB so I will be getting another full synthetic change done this week. At 16,200 miles it's about 5400 between each change reminder and I follow those recommendations.
My 2017 F150 (45k miles) with the N/A 3.5 gives me reminders at about 10-11k miles and I also follow those recommendations.
I'm glad Ford has different programming for the 2.3 turbo oil change intervals as it certainly is harder on oil than a low revving truck motor.
Back in the day, 3K used to be a common oil change interval but that seems so wasteful nowadays.
BTW, no measurable oil consumption noticed yet between changes on either vehicle.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
I am an old skool retired auto tech and I have always changed my engine oil every 3000- 3500 miles regardless of what the manufacture states. I am of the mindset of pay me now or pay me more later. Oil is cheap insurance of a long healthy engine life. In over 50 years of owning/operating motor vehicles of all types I have never had an engine failure.

It may be wasteful to some but its peace of mind for me knowing my engines are happy and healthy.

BD

· Registered
953 Posts
I am an old skool retired auto tech and I have always changed my engine oil every 3000- 3500 miles regardless of what the manufacture states. I am of the mindset of pay me now or pay me more later. Oil is cheap insurance of a long healthy engine life. In over 50 years of owning/operating motor vehicles of all types I have never had an engine failure.

It may be wasteful to some but its peace of mind for me knowing my engines are happy and healthy.

BD
I treat each of my vehicles differently. My 2014 Fusion Hybrid (daily commuter) is up to 192,000 miles with only 15 lifetime oil changes. I started with 8k to 10k mile intervals, letting the computer tell me when it was time, but at 100,000 miles I switched to Mobil1 Extended Performance High Mileage oil at 20k mile intervals. The first time the light comes on, I simply reset it. Always full synthetic, always topped up, and I don't beat on this car. Still runs smooth and efficiently.

The Mustang, on the other hand, has had 3 oil changes in 10,000 miles. Number 4 is due at 10,500.

Not a mechanic by trade, just mechanically inclined... Heck, I don't trust most mechanics, including one in my family (he's still a good backup option 😂), so I avoid shops like the plague! Similarly, I can say that in over 40 years of owning/operating motor vehicles of all types I have never had an engine failure. I've always learned about my vehicles myself, performed my own maintenance, and never suffered any adverse consequences by avoiding paying the pros.

just wanted to add an alternate perspective. Folks should do what's right for them.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

BD
I too am, or was, really, an old school car guy having gotten my DL over 50 years ago, back when cars were cars and men were grease monkeys, not techs. I used to drive air cooled VW's and boy, talk about a high maintenance vehicle-oil changes and valve adjustments every 3K required, drum brakes that had to be manually adjusted regularly, etc.
One reason I go with Fords recommended intervals (by way of the computer generated reminder system) is that the performance standards of motor oil have vastly increased and car manufacturers require that those higher performance oils be used in their vehicles. Also, based on my experience over the years engines are generally much longer lasting than they used to be. 100K used to be unusual, now 100K+ should be expected with regular maintenance.
So as you note, better shorter oil change intervals than too long intervals, but I have faith in sticking with the Ford recommended intervals that take into consideration idle time, mileage, and overall hours when generating the dashboard reminder. That being said, I never run past that recommended oil change interval.

· Registered
2019 EcoBoost performance package
266 Posts
I send a sample to Blackstone Labs every couple of oil changes to see what they find. No problems following the oil change indicator on the car and no waste of oil and cash changing it more often than needed. The only time I change "early" if I am heading to the track for a couple of days of road course driving. Since I am pushing the car a lot harder than normal I will change out the oil.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
I agree with all stated above as it is always up to the owner on how they maintain their vehicles. Oil and other fluids our cars use have gotten much more refined and improved in the last 50 years indeed. Metallurgy and machining quality has also greatly improved which has led to the much higher life span of our cars components as well. I have just seen far too many failed engines, trannies from following the manufactures guidelines in my 50 years as a grease monkey/tech to go more than 4K on engine oil, 20K on tranny fluid. Oil is cheap compared to an engine today whether rebuiding your current one or replacing with a remanufactured one.

To each his own.

BD

Reactions: MD18EcoStang

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Initially I was around 7-8000 kms, and did a change in the spring and fall. Then came Covid and no driving to the office and the distance dropped severely, but still did the two changes. I let it go 11 months in 2021 and it was only 6000 kms. Last spring and fall were around 4000 kms and the current change, from mid-October, only has about 2000 kms on it. Next winter my wife will be retired and I expect the Mustang will be garaged for the winter, so I may just do a late fall change to have fresh oil in it for the winter and then drive a year on that oil. Or not, as I am a creature of habit.

· Registered
2021 Ecoboost Base
9 Posts
I’m fortunate in that my job provides me with a take home company vehicle, so my mustang sets in the garage and is only driven for pleasure. I only put about 4500 miles a year on it. I was a mechanic for 34 years and now am in the managerial side of it. I change the mustang’s oil every 6 months, which comes out to be about every 2250 miles. I know it’s overkill, but to me, working on my car is therapeutic. I bought the car to be an escape from the pressures of my job, and to stay grounded with my roots as a mechanic. I also follow the line of thought that “oil is cheap and engines are expensive”. On the other hand, I put about 25000 miles a year on my company vehicle, and change oil in it every 5000 miles religiously. We require this on all of our company vehicles, and have very few engine related failures, and generally run them until they reach 200,000 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts