Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where and what type of oil cooler has anyone installed with a race IC?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Where and what type of oil cooler has anyone installed with a race IC?
I'm still debating on putting anything larger then my Mishimoto intercooler in my car. I'm not sure if anything else will fit with my oil cooler installed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just installed a Mishimoto oil cooler with my oversized G-Plus intercooler. It took a bit of custom engineering to get it to fit, but it's fine. Essentially I had to tilt the bottom forward so the oil fittings and lines could pass in front of the intercooler. On a related note, I just learned that oil temp in our cars is not an actual value, but an "inferred" value based on several other engine parameters (e.g., coolant temp, oil pressure, engine speed, etc.). As a result, installing this cooler had no effect on the inferred oil temp displayed in the car during my latest HPDE event. Yes, I can take some comfort in knowing that the actual oil temp is lower, but since the ECU doesn't know this, the inferred temp will still climb rapidly, eventually causing the ECU to reduce power. That kinda sucks.

I guess you can't see the intercooler very well in the above photo. Here it is on the ground next to the stock one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a larger than stock IC but I'm talking about a race IC that is higher than the bumper frame.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK. I would suggest there is still room to mount an oil cooler in front of an even larger (taller) intercooler. You'll just have to fabricate a custom mounting bracket that places it in front of the latch mechanism.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked if anyone had done it. Most guys don't want to block the entire radiator with an IC and an oil cooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts