Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys, I just picked up a 2017 on Saturday. After a day of spirited driving I popped the hood and saw what appears to be oil on the cover. I did not see any in other places such as the firewall or under the car. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should look at?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I didn't have my dipstick down a hair, and it blew oil everywhere.

but I only drove it on it like twice. you look like you drove on what I did for a month and plenty of wot's

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looking through the hole in the cover where the dipstick passes through, there appears to be oil on top of the engine. Take the plastic cover off and thoroughly clean all the oil off everything, then go for a drive. You should be able to see where it's coming from. There are no components on top of that cover that can leak oil, so it's coming from somewhere underneath it.

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
232 Posts
Check your pcv circuits, clean & dirty sides. Lots of cases where and inadequate or failing pcv lead to an ejected dipstick and/or seepage from the filer cap area. Basically why folks run those oil filler cap breathers. Those breathers tend to leave a mess to clean up too.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My Son's car had a mystery oil leak like that. We took off the engine cover and cleaned everything up and went for a short drive. Came back and there was a little oil on top of the passenger side cam cover in the front, but there seemed like there should be no place for a leak in that position. We wiped it clean again and I watched while he started and revved the engine a couple of times.I could see oil was coming out around the edges of the front passenger corner bolt hole where the top cover bolts on. It's a round metal nut captured in the plastic but wasn't tight enough to seal tight in the plastic, and crankcase pressure forced oil up around it. It was too oily and too tight of a fit to get any kind of glue or sealant in there and I didn't want to break the engine cam cover by trying to pull it out. We got a small "O"-Ring and put a little flat washer over it, and the engine top cover screw holds it down and made a good seal.
Sounds kind of Mickey Mouse but we didn't cause any more damage by trying to pull that nut out of the plastic and trying to reglue it back in there. If you put the engine top cover back on, it's a little tricky to get everything lined up without knocking the washer and O-ring off the hole, so we just left the cover off and put a screw in that corner to hold the washer down on the o-ring. Leak fixed! 😁

1 - 6 of 6 Posts