Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about the benefits of both, open air for more sound and subject to getting dirty more often with only 5 hp gains with a louder air pull noise, and closed with 5-10 hp gains with no sound gains compared to an open air. I'm out in AZ and the temps lean toward the warmer side during the winter and hella hot during the summer. Closed air intake makes sense, but I like the idea of being a little louder. (I had a catback exhaust put on and it's moderately louder and appears to be faster). Anyone here have either or and can attest to more hp or?

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
336 Posts
I've read about the benefits of both, open air for more sound and subject to getting dirty more often with only 5 hp gains with a louder air pull noise, and closed with 5-10 hp gains with no sound gains compared to an open air. I'm out in AZ and the temps lean toward the warmer side during the winter and hella hot during the summer. Closed air intake makes sense, but I like the idea of being a little louder. (I had a catback exhaust put on and it's moderately louder and appears to be faster). Anyone here have either or and can attest to more hp or?
Where in AZ are you?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
977 Posts
This ^^^^^

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for you time and feedback. I ended up buying a K&N 63 series open CAI as recommended by American Muscle for my ecoboost, BEFORE I read more about a CAI providing no measurable benefits in spite of mfr claims supported by sales reps at American Muscle. After installing it and in the final steps to fasten the intake to the quick connect on the tubing, it wouldn't fit. Their quick connect tube was too tall so I had to re-install the stock parts. Needless to say i wasn't happy about the experience, but happy to send it back. I'm researching on the an intercooler and maybe a dyno tune--any feedback on the benefits of those?

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
136 Posts
Intercooler is prob the best bang for buck you will get out of mild modding. I personally followed up with the ford performance tune kit ( Computer tune and high flow air filter) and a new BOV ( i dont trust the stock, plastic one to hold a seal long term ) but the BOV is a personal choice, not a performance one. happy with the results, for now. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Intercooler is prob the best bang for buck you will get out of mild modding. I personally followed up with the ford performance tune kit ( Computer tune and high flow air filter) and a new BOV ( i dont trust the stock, plastic one to hold a seal long term ) but the BOV is a personal choice, not a performance one. happy with the results, for now. ;)
Thanks for that info and your time. Did you install an intercooler, and if so, what brand did you install? Where did you get the Ford Performance Tune Kit? I'm definitely getting the BOV--dig the sound it makes. To be sure, you didn't install a CAI and just replaced the stock filter with a high flow air filter?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Another reason to go closed over open is to ensure you aren't pulling hot air from the engine bay into your intake. Most of the open CAI's do not seal perfectly to the bottom of the hood.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
136 Posts
Thanks for that info and your time. Did you install an intercooler, and if so, what brand did you install? Where did you get the Ford Performance Tune Kit? I'm definitely getting the BOV--dig the sound it makes. To be sure, you didn't install a CAI and just replaced the stock filter with a high flow air filter?
So yes, I installed the CP-E Street intercooler myself. Took about 4 hours of my time start to finish as I worked carefully and slowly to not damage anything. It can be done faster and easier I'm sure, but I felt like taking the bumper off entirely was the easier way to go. As for the Ford Performance kit, I went to a local Ford Performance dealer here to purchase and install, just to keep the warranty intact. The K&N filter also comes with the kit, is a drop in high flow filter & it keeps the stock airbox in place. If you are out of warranty, then you likely can save some money by purchasing and installing the tune yourself, you'll just need a windows laptop and some technical aptitude to install and download the software and tune. If you are under warranty, a ASE mechanic is required to do the install and register with Ford. Once the tune is installed, you'll go through a relearn process while the tune learns the car, it will not necessarily feel like a rocket right out of the gate, give it a 100 miles or so and you'll finally feel the difference although some have reported a much faster learning curve for their car. If you are looking to really mod your car with downpipes, replacement HPP or NX2 Turbo, etc, you'll want to skip the Ford performance route and go with a protune through Tuneplus, PDtuning, or any of the other custom tuners out there, the Ford tune cant be modified to support those type of mods.

Best suggestion is to read the build threads and do a ton of research before pulling the trigger on any mod though. This platform is highly customizable, and there's a better than average chance that whatever you can think of doing, someone on here has at least tried or asked about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts