Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I'm dropping a bunch of parts into my 2017 ecoboost performance package this week and I have a few questions. The parts I'm putting in are:

Borla atak
Mbrp downpipe catted
Ets intercooler with hard piping
Roush cai
Turbosmart duel port bov
Cobb stage 3 tune on 93 octane

My question is how much hp torque and boost is safe on stock internals and stock turbo? Looks like I'll be around 400hp, 430tq and 24.5 lbs boost give or take.

Also is a cobb accessport tune safe to run with other parts like borla roush etc.

Off topic I'm also thinking of getting rear window louvers but I don't wanna look like a jerkoff what's your take.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey guys so I'm dropping a bunch of parts into my 2017 ecoboost performance package this week and I have a few questions. The parts I'm putting in are:

Borla atak
Mbrp downpipe catted
Roush cai
Turbosmart duel port bov

My question is how much hp torque and boost is safe on stock internals and stock turbo? Looks like I'll be around 400hp, 430tq and 24.5 lbs boost give or take.

Also is a cobb accessport tune safe to run with other parts like borla roush etc.

Off topic I'm also thinking of getting rear window louvers but I don't wanna look like a jerkoff what's your take.
I'm a little curious, what part of this conversion will give you the biggest boost in horsepower, I'd love to get 400hp from my 4 cylinder? Thanks

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm a little curious, what part of this conversion will give you the biggest boost in horsepower, I'd love to get 400hp from my 4 cylinder? Thanks
A cobb stage 3 kit advertises 28% hp, 30% tq and 24.5 lbs of boost. That's 396hp and 413tq respectively on a smaller intercooler from cobb. The stage 3 kit is an intake, exhaust, intercooler and accessport.

Edit: 26%hp sorry so that's 390 hp roughly. But again I'm running a much larger intercooler

·
Super Moderator
3,611 Posts
You won't be anywhere near that number. Sorry.

Yes, it's safe to run Cobb tunes with non Cobb parts, so long as you stick with their formula, which it sounds like you are.

You want to get over 400hp? You need E85 and a custom tune, or a larger turbo.

Good luck.

·
Registered
861 Posts
A custom tune with the access port will maximize the parts you have. However, going over 400 Hp on stock block is not recommended. It is also hard to reach without bigger turbo.

Reactions: Doc69

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A custom tune with the access port will maximize the parts you have. However, going over 400 Hp on stock block is not recommended. It is also hard to reach without bigger turbo.
Understood... However I'm confused on whether you mean 400bhp or whp. I was only talking about bhp and if close to 400 base is safe

·
Super Moderator
3,611 Posts
It's possible to reach 400 whp on the stock block, with the right tune and upgrades (Turbo, E85, etc). It's even possible for this to be reliable, for a while.

The 2.3T Ecoboost motor is a fragile ecosystem though. If one little thing goes wrong, or you get a bad tank of gas, it can be an expensive problem. There are always those who say, "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" and if you're one of those, great. Most of us are more of the mindset of, "more power, within reason," though.

Every six months or so, someone joins the forum and starts asking these questions about how to get big power. There are few who have actually done it though. We will do our level best to point you in the right direction, but despite the mass produced nature of these cars, each high power build appears to be unique. There are certain formulas that everyone follows to get there, but primary to that is - find a good tuner and work with them.

All of the major Ecoboost tuners have built cars in that 400 hp range, but without the tuners the odds of getting there with any surety and safety are slim.

If you take the leap to big power, please stick around and become our guru of 400hp+, tell us the tale, show us the build, but please work with a professional tuner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is no way you can get 400whp on the stock ecoboost turbo.. I’m currently fbo with nx2 on e30 tune and pushin 420whp. With e85 pump and injectors I can push 450whp or so at that point the nx2 turbo will be maxed out. At its 520bhp rating!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Borla atak
Mbrp downpipe catted
Roush cai
Turbosmart duel port bov

Borla atak
Mbrp downpipe catted
Roush cai
Turbosmart duel port bov

there is no way you can get 400whp on stock turbo! You would need a turbo and fuel system upgrade along with a tune to get to 400s

·
Registered
458 Posts
there is no way you can get 400whp on stock turbo! You would need a turbo and fuel system upgrade along with a tune to get to 400s
It's cool and all, but you do realize you're talking to people who posted 2+ years ago, right? Good to hear you're pushing lots of HP... Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's cool and all, but you do realize you're talking to people who posted 2+ years ago, right? Good to hear you're pushing lots of HP... Welcome to the forum.
yeah I did realize that after!! Lol thx for responding!! I wish I knew about this forum a long time ago because it coulda helped a lot in times of need lol. But now I have some knowledge I can hopefully share to help someone!! And yeah it’s definitely been a journey but there’s more to come! I wanna be pushing over 700whp

·
Registered
458 Posts
yeah I did realize that after!! Lol thx for responding!! I wish I knew about this forum a long time ago because it coulda helped a lot in times of need lol. But now I have some knowledge I can hopefully share to help someone!! And yeah it’s definitely been a journey but there’s more to come! I wanna be pushing over 700whp
Well, this seems like the right place for you to be. 👍🏼 Looking forward to reading more about your experiences. My power ambitions are not that high, but I really enjoy messing around with this car. So much fun to see what the little engine can do!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, this seems like the right place for you to be. 👍🏼 Looking forward to reading more about your experiences. My power ambitions are not that high, but I really enjoy messing around with this car. So much fun to see what the little engine can do!
right!! I loved this car since the first time I drove In one!! It’s very impressive for what it is! And I was a big fan already of the SVO inline 4 turbo mustang. And prefer tuner cars that are turbocharged anyway so this was perfect!!and to be honest I’m a manual car driver! But it’s the 10 speed that sold me on the ecoboost it’s got a race car feel to it !!

·
Registered
995 Posts

Borla atak
Mbrp downpipe catted
Roush cai
Turbosmart duel port bov

Have you made any progress on your 400 HP build? I'm adding an E85 Auxiliary Fuel Kit that I purchased from Jessie Ringling of EMS (engineering motorsports solutions). And he feels it will push my motor, with my bolt ons, up into the 400 HP range!!
Send him an email and see what he can do with your combination!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts