Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '18 EB with less than 20k with an unleashed 93 performance tune. I've been running it for 3 years no issues. Threw these codes a couple weeks ago, cleared them, some slightly rough starts over a week and a half and they come up again so I leave them there. I drive my car once a week or so, so only a couple starts over that time frame. I detuned the car and took it to the dealership because it's still under factory warranty. They had it for 2 days and said they can't duplicate. Should I start replacing plugs, coils and camshaft position sensor?
I'm lost as to what I should actually do, if anything.

· Administrator
3,950 Posts
Random misfire and misfire on start up are common pointers to a blown head gasket. Are you losing any coolant?

unfortunately the code isn't pinpointing any single cylinder with an issue. If your dealer can't figure it out, try a different dealer or an independent mechanic.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, no coolant. Motor is clean as a whistle. Drove it all weekend, numerous starts and stops. Even got a good stoplight to stoplight run with an SRT Charger, no problems or codes. Motor oil is clean, filter is clean, motor is very strong, catalytic converter is free flowing, fuel pump is maintaining pressure, injectors are working fine. Camshaft position sensor ohm out, so no issues there, although, that can fail without notice as well as coil packs. I'll wait till it happens again, if it does.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Returned the car to dealership again. They've had it for a week and couldn't duplicate the issue again. I met with the service manager and technician and started the car with them there and of course, nothing. They let it sit, took it for a 30 minute drive. Parked it and waited till end of day to stay it again. No codes, but white smoke and sputtering. Still no codes, but they started it again today and got the same thing.
Located coolant in cylinder 4. Will have engine guy do a take down and report back in the next week or so. I'll update when I get more info.
Ugh..... only 21k on the odo and I don't drive it hard at all.

· Registered
3,298 Posts
Returned the car to dealership again. They've had it for a week and couldn't duplicate the issue again. I met with the service manager and technician and started the car with them there and of course, nothing. They let it sit, took it for a 30 minute drive. Parked it and waited till end of day to stay it again. No codes, but white smoke and sputtering. Still no codes, but they started it again today and got the same thing.
Located coolant in cylinder 4. Will have engine guy do a take down and report back in the next week or so. I'll update when I get more info.
Ugh..... only 21k on the odo and I don't drive it hard at all.
Sorry to hear about it. The flex that can occur on these motors when pushing hard horsepower and boost levels can be enough to cause small fissures in the head gasket. It seems Mr. Z was probably right in his initial diagnosis, because I know he went through the exact same thing and the exact same codes. Keep us posted. The good news is that at least its under warranty!

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Will the motor be stronger after the repair, or should I look to get out of this thing before more issues start?
If the repair is under warrant, it should be repaired to factory specs and as good as any non modified, factory tuned Ecoboost Mustang on the road.
Something to remember, regardless of your driving habits, when you have an aftermarket tune installed, it will override the safeguards Ford built-in to your cars factory ECU.

Reactions: zhent

· Registered
3,298 Posts
Will the motor be stronger after the repair, or should I look to get out of this thing before more issues start?
I've read somewhere that MAYBE some 2.3 engines got the Focus RS gasket and that it wasn't a good fit. Not sure if that's 100% accurate or if it even pertains to you. But food for thought. There is something to different part numbers for gaskets that the 2.3 has had. You'll have to do your own digging.

Other than that, unfortunately, they will probably use the same OEM studs instead of ARP studs since it will be warranty work. But that should not really be a problem. I think Coyote is on the right track.

when you have an aftermarket tune installed, it will override the safeguards Ford built-in to your cars factory ECU.
Yep. In particular if its an "off the shelf" or "canned" 93 tune.

· Administrator
3,950 Posts
I don't know about "stronger" but I've not had any other issues after the head gasket replacement.

· Registered
3,298 Posts
They're talking about replacing the head and gasket. Still waiting on a reason for the head warpage or gasket blowing......
Head warpage was due to heat and 'maybe' an ill fitting gasket. Have you checked with them to see if the gasket is different?? I would totally ask for a picture of the old gasket and new gasket side by side. Say you want it to make an informed decision on whether or not your going to stick with this car. I know this is warranty, but if I was someone who was paying for the work myself, I would demand it. Heat caused the aluminum to expand to a point where the gasket couldn't lock in the seal in the combustion chamber anymore. Combustion can fissure the gasket (or worse) at this point, making that lack of seal permanent. It's been well document on how the block on these 2.3's have 'weak spots' that aren't reinforced well. Hence, they are more susceptible to heat, than, say...the 2.0 Focus RS, which apparently is better 'reinforced' along the cylinder walls. When people try to build out these engines for "crazy" HP, like 500+whp and opt to keep the 2.3...they usually will consider sleeving the cylinders for extra support.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Opened up a case with Ford so I can document along with the dealership. Just in case the car starts to have other issues. They were pretty helpful and said they would help in the event the car continues to have problems. They said I would possibly be contacted by warranty department. We'll see, but at least they opened a case.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will be getting the car returned to me tomorrow from what the service advisor just said. New head, cams, valves and a "newer type of head gasket", whatever that means. Hopefully the correct gasket. They'll be test driving her later on today and updating software, then testing again tomorrow morning before calling me to retrieve. Fingers crossed that she will be ok.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Drove her home. Won't really get into boost for a few hundred miles. I believe there should be a small breakin period when you marry two pieces of metal together and heat them. I'll also wait to add the tune back until that time frame. She sounds normal, all gauges are fine and no weird issues so far. I'll update if anything else pops up.

· Registered
3,298 Posts
I'm glad you got it sorted out. Should be right as rain if the head gasket is different now.

A couple of questions out of curiosity?

1) Is that "10 hours" that they allocated to remove and replace the head?

2) Was their a final "dollar amount" attached to this? Curious to how much a dealer will charge.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts