Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
No dollar amount was listed, obviously due to warranty, but it would be nice to see pricing or at least cost. As far as the labor, that was the diagnostic, labor for take down and build, plus testing and drive time, reflash of ecu, probably some research time as well. No real breakdown of time spent on each task.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
After driving her a couple times now, I'm not seeing more than 12psi through first and second gear, then it starts to add boost as gears change. Just seems like I was getting more boost than that before the engine work, especially in the lower gears. The tech told me, I'm just not used to driving it without the tune. I'll keep driving and testing.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nope, only pulling 12psi through 3rd gear at wot. 2nd gear feels like all motor even though it's showing 10psi. Just falls on its face at 4krpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, then starts to build boost be the top of 3rd and keeps it there until 4th. Just doesn't seem like it's doing what is supposed to.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Took it back to Brandon Ford to let the tech and engine guy take a look and test drive. They did and reported back that everything is normal and that psi builds slower on factory tune. I haven't driven it very hard, but I went out with the tech and showed him what I was experiencing, the look on his face told me everything I needed to know. He said, that's the factory tune and that I was just too used to the aftermarket tune. Boy, it seems almost anemic compared with a tuned ecoboost. I've got another 400 miles before I can throw the tune back on, so I'll be saving some fuel in the meantime.

· Registered
3,298 Posts
Took it back to Brandon Ford to let the tech and engine guy take a look and test drive. They did and reported back that everything is normal and that psi builds slower on factory tune. I haven't driven it very hard, but I went out with the tech and showed him what I was experiencing, the look on his face told me everything I needed to know. He said, that's the factory tune and that I was just too used to the aftermarket tune. Boy, it seems almost anemic compared with a tuned ecoboost. I've got another 400 miles before I can throw the tune back on, so I'll be saving some fuel in the meantime.
I glossed over the part on your initial post where you running a canned 93 tunes. Canned 93 tunes are dangerous for the exact same reason you experienced. You are not the first person here to encounter this issue on that kind of tune, nor will you be the last. All the bells and whistles and nannies that the engine uses to protect itself, has been shut off by the tune. Timing is set as aggressively as it can be set for pump gas. If you truly want to have your engine last you this time around, go either for canned 91 or get yourself pro tuned.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Can't get 91 here that I know of. The tune is Unleashed 93 and I've had Torrie refine the tune before to not be as aggressive and never pushed my car hard, again, only 21k miles and is 4 years old. Anyone in Tampa know where to get a dyno tune for ecoboost motors?

· Registered
3,298 Posts
You don't need to "get 91" octane. You can simply use a canned 91 tune with your 93 gas, and your problems will go away. And it doesn't matter if you car has 8 miles or 80,000 miles on it....your PCM is responsible for many things while orchestrating that engine. All it takes is ONE thing to go wrong, and the result can be an Ecoboom. The stock tune has many failsafes to prevent this from happening. All tuning is, is essentially pushing those failsafes to their "limits", depending on how far you wanna go with it.

But if you wanna get a custom tune, and are willing to make the drive to Arcadia.....I believe Torrie has worked with this shop before because of @WatchMyEco

Auto Mafia Racing | Free Shipping From Selected Dealers!

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
At this point, I think it's kind of pointless to modify these motors. They're not built to go much beyond their stock pcm programming and are obviously placed in eminent danger by doing so. They're just not as strong as I originally thought.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
After putting 700+ miles on her, I updated and slapped the tune back on. Did some data logs and sent it in for additional fine tuning and have loaded the new tune yesterday. She's back! I won't be modifying this car much after what I just went through, but an intercooler and downpipe may be in her future if I decide to keep her. I'll update if any new crap happens.

· Registered
132 Posts
Threw same codes this morning, white smoke, rich smelling. Cleared codes, detuned and will run it until it throws codes again and take back in. Car has full power, not pulling timing or boost, stuttered on startup but nothing else funny.
Sometime with a blown head gasket it won't smoke all the time. Most of the time it will smoke when it sits a while. It'll show random misfire. Some diagnostic tools will be more specific. Usually between the number 1 and 2 cylinder. It'll eventually have hard starts in the morning. You may not even notice the coolant loss. All this is from my experience. Yours could be totally different

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Update: was still experiencing some bugs after a couple months of driving. So I returned the car to the dealership and let them know that the car was making valve tapping sounds for first 15 minutes of driving and weird clunks when transmission was shifting hard from 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th shifts. Sounded like someone dropped a long lost 10mm wrench in the bell housing.
Received call from service advisor just now, they are going to replace my transmission and will start looking at the head next week. I'm glad I answered that call from India about my extended car warranty, lol. Actually, I refinanced the car with Ford and they sold me the extended factory warranty.
Will see what their next update says. They couldn't tell me exactly what the issue with the transmission was yet, but will elaborate after they find everything out.

· Registered
9 Posts
Ill be attempting a warranty repair on my 2018 with all same issues. Misfire in 1st 1000 rotations losing coolant and i also have something about camshaft sensor. Mine has 39K on it.
I on the other hand am Adam with Tune plus tuned on E30. But my misfires began before the tuning, i am stupid with cars and thought i was needing plugs and kept changing them out.
It was during tuning Adam suggested i had a head gasket issue.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just got a message from service writer, they will be removing the head and measuring cylinder head tappets. They said they finally heard the noise I was referring to on cold start this morning. The service writer said he loves how most ecoboost owners have tried to learn their cars, unfortunately, they're learning the bad parts too.

· Registered
9 Posts
Mine will sputter on starts for 3 - 4 days then can go away for a few days where the engine light even goes out but then returns and im losing coolant. Car does not overheat at all. Feels same on power. Plug 4 where my misfires are was a mother f'er to get out.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Service writer stated that the head tappets were somehow worn and will need to be replaced along with some other small parts, that are on backorder. I've inquired as to why they would have been worn so quickly or if the parts from the old head were used in the rebuild. I'll await his response, but something seems odd to me. A couple more weeks without my baby.

· Registered
9 Posts
Service writer stated that the head tappets were somehow worn and will need to be replaced along with some other small parts, that are on backorder. I've inquired as to why they would have been worn so quickly or if the parts from the old head were used in the rebuild. I'll await his response, but something seems odd to me. A couple more weeks without my baby.
So you had no issues getting warranty even on unleashed tune?
I scheduled mine for service yesterday was not able to get it in until 18th.
Reading responses hearing people told they needed new engine for $9,000 has me worried. I have driven mine for 6 months but never hard since the leak was detected, it never runs hot so hoping its just the gasket. I do have to add coolant about once per month and i drive little.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
No issues with the tune. My service manager always asks me if I've removed it when I drop her off and I've never paid for anything more than an oil change. I'm always honest with them so they'll hopefully be honest with me.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts