Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Your welcome. Hope they can figure it for you. Keep us up to date on what they find out and good luck. And ya I hear ya about the mods. My dealership gave me crap about it and almost tried to blame the part failure to my mods. But I told them the code didn't start showing up til they did the recall on excessive underbody heat. Lol

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm not sure what they all did but after my last visit with my dealership my problem went away. Here what they did to correct my problem. View attachment 6577
They replaced the canister purge valve. This valve opens, while the engine is running, to allow vapor from the fuel tank to enter the intake manifold. The vapor is stored in the charcoal canister, which is usually located near the fuel tank on today's cars. This valve is a common failure on lots of makes and models and has been for years.

I'm glad the dealer got the problem resolved for you. Just so you know, that valve is an emission control part and, depending on what state you live in, it carries its own warranty. I know in CA. the warranty for emission parts is something like 5 years, 50,000 miles. Some parts (like catalytic converters) are warranted for even longer.

·
Super Moderator
6,036 Posts
I'm glad the dealer got the problem resolved for you. Just so you know, that valve is an emission control part and, depending on what state you live in, it carries its own warranty. I know in CA. the warranty for emission parts is something like 5 years, 50,000 miles. Some parts (like catalytic converters) are warranted for even longer.
Good. I'll come to your shop for cat repairs. I need a large trailer to bring 3 cars out for exhaust work now. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm glad they figured it out too. I got tired of seeing that cel light on the dash board. Plus every time I put gas in the car wouldn't hold idle for a few minutes and wanted to die.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm glad they figured it out too. I got tired of seeing that cel light on the dash board. Plus every time I put gas in the car wouldn't hold idle for a few minutes and wanted to die.
Hey @Punchy,
Can you please tell me where the purge valve is located. I'm having the same problems as you. Code p1450 is coming up and hard starting after I fill up gas.
I bought a purge valve canister that mounts to the charcoal canister and replaced it and nothing changed.
I was wondering if there was another purge valve by the engine bay that I didn't see.
Any help will be helpful. Thank you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello you all. I’m also having this issue in my 2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium. Can someone tell me where I can get this part from and is it located in the same spot where the picture is showing where it is. Very irritating to fill up and the car doesn’t idle and turns off. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same issue with my son's 2016 Ecoboost. The above photo was very helpful in finding the purge valve solenoid.

The part we purchased from an auto parts store was simply not visible anywhere, because, well, it's the wrong part.

So we would also like to know if the correct solenoid is available individually or only as part of the whole tube assembly.

If as part of the assembly, it appears that some of the clips can be removed and part of the old assembly used for easier installation.

Either way, the correct part number(s) would help a lot as we already have one wrong part to return.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello Marv. I purchased the part off of stockwiseauto.com. The part is called 2016 Ford Mustang Vapor Canister Purge Valve and it was $25.77. I hope this is the right part and I ordered it. Just waiting to come in the mail to see once I try to put this part on. Hope this helps.

Same issue with my son's 2016 Ecoboost. The above photo was very helpful in finding the purge valve solenoid.

The part we purchased from an auto parts store was simply not visible anywhere, because, well, it's the wrong part.

So we would also like to know if the correct solenoid is available individually or only as part of the whole tube assembly.

If as part of the assembly, it appears that some of the clips can be removed and part of the old assembly used for easier installation.

Either way, the correct part number(s) would help a lot as we already have one wrong part to return.

·
Super Moderator
6,036 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unfortunately, both of the parts shown above don't match what I see in the photo above or under the hood.
Mike, yours is the same wrong part I bought. It's for the V6 and V8.
Squid, your part is the vent solenoid and I'm looking for the purge solenoid.

I was able to secure the proper part today at my local Ford parts counter.
It looks exactly like what I see under the hood.
Hose - Fuel Vapour - Ford - FR3Z-9G297-C
It is an assembly that includes the valve and the line running from the valve to the intake.
$57.64 plus tax.
Now that I know the part number, I see them cheaper on eBay and from other sources, but I'm just happy to have the part in hand. And I didn't have to pay shipping.

Assuming you have already removed the black engine cover hiding it (2 bolts and 2 nuts at opposing corners of the cover), it appears you simply unplug the electrical connector and remove a single bolt. Release the red clip on the hose at the intake and the green clip on the hose behind the valve and disconnect the assembly from the plumbing.

To install, clip the new assembly in place with the red and green clips, re-install bolt and plug in connector.

I'll know more tonight when I try to install it.
Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did I get the wrong part?
I think you did. Most part databases will drive you nuts on this one.
I originally got the part you mentioned and couldn't find it under the hood of my son's Ecoboost.
It was only Rob1331's photo that sent me down the right path.
When I put eyes on what I wanted in our own car, I was sure I had the wrong part and returned it.

See my other post for some more info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is a great post. I just had the CEL light come up with P1450 on my 16 mustang eco. Just pulled the purge Valve located in the photos above. So in another video I learned that if you leave the vacuum side plugged in and pull the tank side you should get a vacuum when the car is turned on. If you then unplug the valve from the power source the valve should close and not have suction on the tank side. Mine still had vacuum so my assumption is that the valve is stuck open. Can anyone confirm this is a correct way to test without any fancy do-hickeys?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unfortunately, both of the parts shown above don't match what I see in the photo above or under the hood.
Mike, yours is the same wrong part I bought. It's for the V6 and V8.
Squid, your part is the vent solenoid and I'm looking for the purge solenoid.

I was able to secure the proper part today at my local Ford parts counter.
It looks exactly like what I see under the hood.
Hose - Fuel Vapour - Ford - FR3Z-9G297-C
It is an assembly that includes the valve and the line running from the valve to the intake.
$57.64 plus tax.
Now that I know the part number, I see them cheaper on eBay and from other sources, but I'm just happy to have the part in hand. And I didn't have to pay shipping.

Assuming you have already removed the black engine cover hiding it (2 bolts and 2 nuts at opposing corners of the cover), it appears you simply unplug the electrical connector and remove a single bolt. Release the red clip on the hose at the intake and the green clip on the hose behind the valve and disconnect the assembly from the plumbing.

To install, clip the new assembly in place with the red and green clips, re-install bolt and plug in connector.

I'll know more tonight when I try to install it.
Fingers crossed.
Perfect!!! Thanks for letting me know. The part hasn’t got here yet, but I’m going to return it. Do you have a picture of the part? I’ll like you to walk me through it once I get the part in hand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Perfect!!! Thanks for letting me know. The part hasn’t got here yet, but I’m going to return it. Do you have a picture of the part? I’ll like you to walk me through it once I get the part in hand.
Mike,

The installation went almost as expected. The front got a little sneaky to disconnect. (See below)
You'll need a flathead screwdriver, 8 and 10 mm sockets and an extension.

1) Remove the black engine cover to expose the part.
You'll find 2 nuts (8 mm) and 2 bolts (10 mm) in opposite corners of the cover.

2) Look at the replacement part and notice the little nub for locking the electrical connector in place.
Slip the flathead blade into the front of the electrical connector and under a small internal clip.
Lift up gently to clear the nub and slide the electrical connector off when it unlocks.

2) Remove the single bolt holding the valve in place.
10 mm socket? I think so.

3) Behind the valve, slip your flathead under the top of the green clip (which should be facing the driver's side) and loosen it.
No need to remove. The valve should now easily disconnect from the rear hose.

4) At the front at the intake, you can use your fingers to remove the red clip completely. Loosening it will probably work too, but it came off for me.
There's a little internal clip underneath the external red clip. Sneaky.
Press against the flat black area opposite where the red clip was with your screwdriver and the internal clip will flex and release.
(You can practice this on your replacement part and it will be obvious.)

5) Pull the whole assembly out of the car.

Reverse the process to install the new part.

My son went and gassed up the car, which always produces the CEL and a rough start.
No light came on.
Fingers crossed, but so far, so good.

I'll post a pic of the part we removed soon... my wife drove off with my phone. LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Press against the flat black area opposite where the red clip was with your screwdriver and the internal clip will flex and release.
Yeah the little black button got me. I am heading to Ford tomorrow for the part to install. Marv- did you have the CEL before install or was it reset at an earlier time?

21 - 40 of 81 Posts