Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question

any tips on downshifting with paddle shifters?? I tend to put it in the wrong gear and grinding (I know its bad)

Is it bad to go from paddle shifting in sport plus mode ---> normal drive mode?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Stupid question

any tips on downshifting with paddle shifters?? I tend to put it in the wrong gear and grinding (I know its bad)

I'm no mechanic but if any automatic trans is grinding between gears that's never a good thing. I always tend to shift around 3k RPM's at low throttle. If im at full throttle I'll shift right at redline.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know its not good.
I guess it is hard for me to gauge when I should go down a gear...

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
59 Posts
What he is trying to say is if an auto transmission is grinding then there is a mechanical issue. Automatics don't grind even when driving manually.

Add far as shifting into different modes. As long as they are drive modes only it should be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stupid question

You have to take into consideration Final Drive. When you are changing gears on automatic you have to match with the RPM range if you wanna gun it. Let’s say you’re going 70 on the highway you have to at least drop it into 5th if you wanna accelerate hard but you gotta quickly change the gears every time it reaches around 3500RPM or your Final Drive will be messed up and will feel like your transmission is grinding. When you are at a stand still when you accelerate hard you should be able to go up 2 gears each time you try to press the gas pedal hard. You have to let go of the gas pedal between shifts to release the pressure so if you’re at a stop and you’re at 1 and you accelerate and get above 3500rmp you have to shift twice since it’s a 10 speed. You’ll get the feel/sound of it eventually.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You have to take into consideration Final Drive. When you are changing gears on automatic you have to match with the RPM range if you wanna gun it. Let’s say you’re going 70 on the highway you have to at least drop it into 5th if you wanna accelerate hard but you gotta quickly change the gears every time it reaches around 3500RPM or your Final Drive will be messed up and will feel like your transmission is grinding. When you are at a stand still when you accelerate hard you should be able to go up 2 gears each time you try to press the gas pedal hard. You have to let go of the gas pedal between shifts to release the pressure so if you’re at a stop and you’re at 1 and you accelerate and get above 3500rmp you have to shift twice since it’s a 10 speed. You’ll get the feel/sound of it eventually.
nobody "guns" it and then shifts at 3500rpm. that would defeat the whole experience. let those ponies run!

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you have a ecoboost you’re gonna lose power over 4000rpm lol, if you have a coyote then yes let it scream.
hardly....my race engine is bone stock, makes 359 peak hp at 5500, 396 peak ft/lbs at 4500 on the accessport and i have a conservative tune for oval track racing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hardly....my race engine is bone stock, makes 359 peak hp at 5500, 396 peak ft/lbs at 4500 on the accessport and i have a conservative tune for oval track racing.
You can’t lie and not say that without a tune the stock car loses power heavily in the midrange.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i raced this engine with the OEM ford tune for a long time. every engine starts losing steam at some point. you suggested he shift at 3500 rpm which you stated later is 500 RPM below when "you lose power". that doesn't make sense to me. seems like you want to land the next gear at the torque peak instead of shifting right at the torque peak for maximum acceleration. even a stock tune should run out to at least 5500 before really laying over. i think 5500 to 6000 is peak HP.

edit: is anyone on here drag racing a 10 speed OEM tune? what RPM are you guys shifting at? i guess i need to take my 2019 driver out for a few WOT shifts in D and see where ford has it programmed to shift.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i raced this engine with the OEM ford tune for a long time. every engine starts losing steam at some point. you suggested he shift at 3500 rpm which you stated later is 500 RPM below when "you lose power". that doesn't make sense to me. seems like you want to land the next gear at the torque peak instead of shifting right at the torque peak for maximum acceleration. even a stock tune should run out to at least 5500 before really laying over. i think 5500 to 6000 is peak HP.

edit: is anyone on here drag racing an OEM tune? what RPM are you guys shifting at?
With the way the turbo works in the ecoboost you want new boost between each gear or it will feel funny.

·
Registered
11 Posts

edit: is anyone on here drag racing an OEM tune? what RPM are you guys shifting at?
If you’re going 70 and you accelerate hard and shift at 5000rpm each time you will mess up your top speed at Final Gear/Drive.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
If you have a ecoboost you’re gonna lose power over 4000rpm lol, if you have a coyote then yes let it scream.
The power peak on a stock Ecoboost is 5500rpm. The engine does not lay over until you pass the power peak. 3000 rpm to 5500 rpm is the meat of the power band where you get maximum acceleration.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Base Ecoboost, Stock/Factory Tune, M/T Tires
95 Posts

edit: is anyone on here drag racing a 10 speed OEM tune? what RPM are you guys shifting at? i guess i need to take my 2019 driver out for a few WOT shifts in D and see where ford has it programmed to shift.
I run the 1/4 mile with a stock Ford tune and shift my 10spd at 5250 RPM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts