Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been reading a lot about this happening with our cars. But I cant find any here.

topics

Mine is on the seem between the roof and pillar on the driver side. But most get it on the hood or doors. Im going to take mine in under warranty. Figures I just got my stripes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 2015 and I have had it about two months.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't know what you can do to insure the ford dealer inspects both panels completely, but I would demand it. I would have them go over the whole car. I think corrosion is 5/60, could be mistaken. Good deal getting done under warranty. Too bad about the stripes.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I have not seen or heard of any paint bubbling on Aussie delivered Mustangs so far.
However, there are complaints of black overspray sealer paint under the cars, presumably a protection from sea transportation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took it to Ford. They looked the car over and found several more spots. They took many photos and are sending them to corporate evaluate. They told me they have never seen it on the roof before. They did find some on the hood too. More to come.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The hood bubbling issues were common on the S197’s, specifically the 2005-2011. It had to do with an improper priming issue (or lack there of) and the sheet metal frame reacting to the aluminum.

Not saying this is your issue, but I’ve heard of it. Luckily (knock on wood) my 05 GT is fine.

Hope Ford comes back with a good solution.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I would be demanding a respray job if that was mine.
Don't know how it works in the US, but In Australia, if you get no satisfaction from your dealer, you elevate the problem to Ford Head Office Customer Care.
Once elevated, things start to move quite quickly in your favour.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem on my hood. I have the car to the dealer they took pics and sent to ford but was denied. Ive had a paint shop and the dealer both say its the way the paint was prepared with sealant. Now the blistering is starting to chip. Don't know what to do

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
The hood bubbling issues were common on the S197’s, specifically the 2005-2011. It had to do with an improper priming issue (or lack there of) and the sheet metal frame reacting to the aluminum.
I have experienced this as well, the Shelby is fine, but the wife's 2011 suffered greatly, her's was out of any sort of warranty coverage when it began, so it has been touched up for now. Her car is a super high mileage daily, so whenever she's decides it's a "forever car" or due for replacement I can move forward with a permanent fix, or replacement hood.

Regarding this roofline corrosion stuff is news to me, usually, Mustangs have quite good paint and body quality compared to their other mass produced offerings from the big three.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The warranty wording from Ford (as well as other makes) states they will cover rust, only if it's PERFERATION. None of what I see here is looking like any more then surface rust under the paint likely due to contaminates on the metal prior to when it was painted. Not a good situation based on the language of the warranty. Perhaps the dealer will feel understanding and repaint it but unless there is perforation they aren't obligated. My wife had a 91 Plymouth Sundance. Third year into it there were bubbles at the rear right corner of the trunk lid. Took it in and they said can't fix, not perforation. Sooooooo, as a person who has restored many a car I am familiar with what surface rust under the paint looks like vs rust through. Went home, took out phillips head screw driver and next thing you know, there it was, perforation! Took it back, guy was pissed but they fixed it. That car down the road became one of the biggest rust buckets I've ever seen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ford did fix mine. And it looks pretty good. Color match is spot on. But it took the body shop a month.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I now have the same issue on my 2016 Convertible. The paint is starting to bubble on the hood of my car. A very small area. I reached out to Ford and was assigned a rep. The Rep just called and said they have to replace the hood and repaint. The cost will be $1600, but they will only charge me $945.

This is such BS.

The other question I have, will this be on a Car Fax as a paint defect.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Awesome News, My Ford Service rep called and said they are going to pay for the New Hood. They claim since I am a great Ford customer, they will cover under warranty.
Now I just have to leave my damn house , to get my car to the dealership....lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Awesome News, My Ford Service rep called and said they are going to pay for the New Hood. They claim since I am a great Ford customer, they will cover under warranty.
Now I just have to leave my damn house , to get my car to the dealership....lol
Did you have to reference the TSB or did they just agree to it upon evidence? I just noticed these corrosion bubbles on the hood of my CA/GA only car and had never seen anything like them before. I plan to goto the dealership soon but its not bad enough yet that i'd pay to fix it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I contacted Ford directly to complain. Someone from Ford called me back. I had to take it to the dealer so they can view it. They first offered to pay half , I explained I was not happy. They later called back.i was told that I was a high value customer, since this is the 6th Ford I have owned or leased.They ageeed to pay for it all. I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts