Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 2019 on July 3. Yesterday I was going over it and found this paint defect on the front fender.
Never noticed it when i picked it up because the weather was bad that day and I was in a hurry. Anyone else have issues with there paint from the factory? I found the same type on thing as well in the roof channel along the left side.
I love my new car but that thing sticks out like a sour thumb.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Lot's of complaints on the web about paint bubbling on mustangs. Mostly hoods, but some fenders. From 2005 and up. Though I read some place they fixed it by the 2018 models. I take its not as you have a '19. Should go back to the stealership you bought it from, should be a warranty issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I didn't have any paint "defects" on delivery, but I feel that--at least for my car-- this is a poor paint job. It's a 2018 which I picked up with 6 or 7 miles on it last summer and-- while the paint was flawless (and I checked really closely) except for exactly two places (paint chip on lower front fender and a small gouge on the bumper that had been touched up, I assume someone bumped it in the parking lot at some point)--now almost a year later the car is riddled with tiny spots where the paint is chipping off.

Now, many of these (on the front at least) can be explained by pebbles and whatnot I guess, although I live in the city and I can't fathom how I've had that many pebbles and the like hitting my car. I also never had so many pits on any of the other vehicles I have owned living in the same area.

More to the point though... there is paint chipping off places that obviously have nothing to do with pebbles or road debris, like the several spots near the decklid and on the rear roof. Also a couple very noticeable places along the edge of the trunk where the paint is gone and you can see white underneath.

Is there any chance at all that Ford might repaint it under warranty? The car was so beautiful when I bought it, and this kind of makes me feel like I've been hosed.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Mine is a 17. I had one defect that I did not notice (roof). I will personally detail the next new car I buy before I take delivery.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
It's amazing the number of paint defects, panel alignment issues and panel imperfections you don't always see with the excitement of initially picking up a new car.
Sometimes, its only weeks or months later you start to notice them after you start detailing the car do they come to light.

·
Super Moderator
6,149 Posts
It can't hurt to ask your dealer about the flaws you've noticed. It is not normal for paint to peel up without reason.

·
Registered
876 Posts
That's not paint peeling; it's crap that was left on the surface that was painted over! That's a warranty claim, for sure. Make sure the dealer gets you to a top-notch body shop. Unfortunately, that's just poor quality control. Get it fixed right and life will be good!

Reactions: johnnybee

·
Registered
17 Posts
That was repainted. Someone just did a **** job cleaning it. They may take care of it, but usually a dealership will just tell you they sold it as is when it is used.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just picked up my 2019 on July 3. Yesterday I was going over it and found this paint defect on the front fender.
Never noticed it when i picked it up because the weather was bad that day and I was in a hurry. Anyone else have issues with there paint from the factory? I found the same type on thing as well in the roof channel along the left side.
I love my new car but that thing sticks out like a sour thumb.
I purchased my car in April 2019 it had a paint defect on the spoiler and gas cap cover. What sucks even more with the orange fury metalic its an extra charge from Ford as an option so you would think it would have that much more of a quality standerd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased 2020 GT Convertible and found this paint defect a few days after taking delivery. I reached out to the dealership, they indicated I would need to speak to the body shop. My issue, a $50k car, less than 3 weeks old, with less than 50 miles on it; and you want me to accept a body shop paint job.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am considering asking the dealership if they will trade me out of the car, without the significant value loss, maybe for an ST Edge or Explorer. Also, looking into a BMW 2 Series convertible.... not really wanting a body shop paint job on a 3 week old $50k car.... really unacceptable !

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your right about a dealership paint job they are a collision repair shop at best. Your better off living with blemish, I have similar on my mustang I didn’t want a collision repair paint job. People do have to realize though the EPA regulations on American auto companies paint process is more strict than Europe and Asia that’s why you don’t see orange peel and other paint blemishes on foreign cars.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Your right about a dealership paint job they are a collision repair shop at best. Your better off living with blemish, I have similar on my mustang I didn’t want a collision repair paint job. People do have to realize though the EPA regulations on American auto companies paint process is more strict than Europe and Asia that’s why you don’t see orange peel and other paint blemishes on foreign cars.
Your be surprised, seeing alot more orange peel on cars lately. Brand new black SLK merc only a few days ago was completely shocked by its paint job and panel gaps. They just ain't made the way they were.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts