Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ecoboost premium
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Photo dump at the end. posting some of my mostly appearance mods i have done this month.

first thing I did was cut out the backing that blocks the factory intake from taking in fresh air from the grill. minor performance upgrade, mainly gets intake air temps down faster if the car was sitting in the sun, I also painted the pony emblem black. i just used tremclad gloss black and tremclad gloss clear for this.

for the interior i followed a tip i saw on the f150 forums that fords race red is a near 100% match to rustoleum apple red and decided to paint the dash aluminum panels to match the cars paint. i think it turned out good, there are a few small fisheyes in it but it was such a frustraiting process i figured this result was good enough. Rustoleum has clearly changed their formula for their clear coat becuase it ruined my interior 4 times. it kept dissolving the base coat and alligatoring off the parts, resulting in me having to use paintstripper to get the parts back to nothing and starting over. their support team pointed out that it works better if you spray clear within 30 mins of spraying the base coat without sanding in between clear and base coats. and they offered to send me a cheque for the 2 cans i wasted painting then stripping my interior parts

i also used the rustoleum apple red as a "single stage" rock chip filler which worked great. i basically sprayed some of the paint into the lid, grabbed a small paint brush and got some of my rockchips looking way better than before.

Hood World Grass Landscape Electric blue
Car Vehicle Plant Wheel Grille

Waste containment White Waste container Infrastructure Automotive tire

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Photo dump at the end. posting some of my mostly appearance mods i have done this month.

first thing I did was cut out the backing that blocks the factory intake from taking in fresh air from the grill. minor performance upgrade, mainly gets intake air temps down faster if the car was sitting in the sun, I also painted the pony emblem black. i just used tremclad gloss black and tremclad gloss clear for this.

for the interior i followed a tip i saw on the f150 forums that fords race red is a near 100% match to rustoleum apple red and decided to paint the dash aluminum panels to match the cars paint. i think it turned out good, there are a few small fisheyes in it but it was such a frustraiting process i figured this result was good enough. Rustoleum has clearly changed their formula for their clear coat becuase it ruined my interior 4 times. it kept dissolving the base coat and alligatoring off the parts, resulting in me having to use paintstripper to get the parts back to nothing and starting over. their support team pointed out that it works better if you spray clear within 30 mins of spraying the base coat without sanding in between clear and base coats. and they offered to send me a cheque for the 2 cans i wasted painting then stripping my interior parts

i also used the rustoleum apple red as a "single stage" rock chip filler which worked great. i basically sprayed some of the paint into the lid, grabbed a small paint brush and got some of my rockchips looking way better than before.

View attachment 42972 View attachment 42970
View attachment 42971

View attachment 42967
View attachment 42969
View attachment 42968
That's a great job!

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
"cut out the backing that blocks the factory intake from taking in fresh air from the grill. minor performance upgrade, mainly gets intake air temps down faster"

I also drilled/cut out my grille. I've been warned about driving in the rain with the stock air box being open to the elements (I've since relocated my air intake). Have you had any problems with your air box or air filter getting wet?

PS; Paint looks nice!

·
Registered
2016 ecoboost premium
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"cut out the backing that blocks the factory intake from taking in fresh air from the grill. minor performance upgrade, mainly gets intake air temps down faster"

I also drilled/cut out my grille. I've been warned about driving in the rain with the stock air box being open to the elements (I've since relocated my air intake). Have you had any problems with your air box or air filter getting wet?

PS; Paint looks nice!
no issues so far. unless its a torrential downpour i dont think there would be any issue. a small amount of moisture wont hurt the engine and there are no sensors before the turbo so there wouldnt be any issues with water effecting sensors

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
2016 ecoboost premium
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also thanks everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts