Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you are interested in being able to monitor things like charge temps after the intercooler, engine knocks, octane adjust ratio and specific boost levels then get comfy and i'll show you the way.

1rst off you will need a device to plug into your odb port to communicate with your phone (look for the wifi version if you have an Iphone)
If you are running android you will need a bluetooth device, if you are running apple you will need a wifi device.
The 5 dollar ELM327 adapters are junk and should be avoided.
The device I currently use is the KW903 from Banggood, it is cheap and does the job.
KW903 ODB2 II Car Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader Bluetooth for Android iPhone Sale - Banggood Mobile
It has a refresh rate of 50ms which is not bad but is a little sluggish for reading hp and tq giving odd readings at rpms no where near actual peak most times, it doesnt have full access to all of the canbus systems so it is not preferable to use with Forscan, it does work for setting up gauges for all the things mentioned earlier though so it is a good value.

If you want the best available adapter then the OBDLINK MX is the one to get.
Amazon.com: ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Android & Windows: Automotive
This the fastest adapter available that will access all canbus systems so it will work well with the Forscan program, the LX model is the same except it does not access all Canbus sytems so it will work with Torque pro but not work well with Forscan.
(Forscan is a pc program that gives you the abilty to actually change settings in the cars computer system like shutting off seatbelt chimes and such, it would require a seperate thread to cover so we will continue on with the Torque pro stuff.)

After you have the adapter head to google play and get Torque pro, the free version will work but you cannot ad custom pids for things like octane adjust ratio and it only costs 5 bucks (apple store for iphone obviously).

Plug the adapter into your car and start the car, press the power button on the adapter then pair your phone to the adapter.(code will be 1234 or 0000)

Open the Torque app and goto settings (The little grey gear icon will bring up the menu) choose "obd2 adapter settings", tell the app to use the adapter you just paired, also choose "Hide unsupported sensors" and "Faster communication" the rest of the choices are personal options or not applicable.

Make a profile for your car, filling in the details as best you can, i chose 3750lb/1700.9kg for vehicle weight, 15.6 us gallons for fuel capacity.(cant remember if this is the first or second thing to do so if this should be first my bad.)

Now goto "Manage extra PIDs and sensors" tap the top right dots to bring up menu and choose "Add predefined set" choose "ford inc powerstroke" from the list. (Some phones do not show the menu bar with dots, in that case I beleive the square button on your phones lower screen is to be used to bring up the menu)

Back out and choose realtime information.
You will now have several screens of default gauges. Press and hold will bring up options to add gauges, choose a type of gauge and you will be brought to a list of active sensors to choose from (if you are in your car with engine running) the lower gear icon will bring up another menu for customizing the screen.

At this point there will be a bit of fiddling required to get it the way you want, just take your time and it will all become clear.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Adding Octane adjust ratio to Torque pro

To add the OAR to Torque goto "Manage custom Pids" bring up the options menu and choose "add custom pid" then enter the data as pictured. The Pid address is 2203E8
"I used the Digital display gauge and one important point (if using that gauge) is to override the default # of decimal places and use a value = 2. Just press on the gauge on the screen and go to “display configuration” and select “decimal places”. If you don’t do this it will start rounding on you and you may not realize it has changed at all."

Furthure details can be found here
Learned Octane Ratio (LOR) Gauge in Torque

Charge temps are found in the list as IAT2 and take data from either the map sensor at the intercooler or the sensor on the side of the intake manifold, not sure which is used but it is very useful.
Screenshot_20171002-010624.jpg

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
If you are interested in being able to monitor things like charge temps after the intercooler, engine knocks, octane adjust ratio and specific boost levels then get comfy and i'll show you the way.

1rst off you will need a device to plug into your odb port to communicate with your phone (look for the wifi version if you have an Iphone)
If you are running android you will need a bluetooth device, if you are running apple you will need a wifi device.
The 5 dollar ELM327 adapters are junk and should be avoided.
The device I currently use is the KW903 from Banggood, it is cheap and does the job.
KW903 ODB2 II Car Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader Bluetooth for Android iPhone Sale - Banggood Mobile
It has a refresh rate of 50ms which is not bad but is a little sluggish for reading hp and tq giving odd readings at rpms no where near actual peak most times, it doesnt have full access to all of the canbus systems so it is not preferable to use with Forscan, it does work for setting up gauges for all the things mentioned earlier though so it is a good value.

If you want the best available adapter then the OBDLINK MX is the one to get.
Amazon.com: ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Android & Windows: Automotive
This the fastest adapter available that will access all canbus systems so it will work well with the Forscan program, the LX model is the same except it does not access all Canbus sytems so it will work with Torque pro but not work well with Forscan.
(Forscan is a pc program that gives you the abilty to actually change settings in the cars computer system like shutting off seatbelt chimes and such, it would require a seperate thread to cover so we will continue on with the Torque pro stuff.)

After you have the adapter head to google play and get Torque pro, the free version will work but you cannot ad custom pids for things like octane adjust ratio and it only costs 5 bucks (apple store for iphone obviously).

Plug the adapter into your car and start the car, press the power button on the adapter then pair your phone to the adapter.(code will be 1234 or 0000)

Open the Torque app and goto settings (The little grey gear icon will bring up the menu) choose "obd2 adapter settings", tell the app to use the adapter you just paired, also choose "Hide unsupported sensors" and "Faster communication" the rest of the choices are personal options or not applicable.

Make a profile for your car, filling in the details as best you can, i chose 3750lb/1700.9kg for vehicle weight, 15.6 us gallons for fuel capacity.(cant remember if this is the first or second thing to do so if this should be first my bad.)

Now goto "Manage extra PIDs and sensors" tap the top right dots to bring up menu and choose "Add predefined set" choose "ford inc powerstroke" from the list. (Some phones do not show the menu bar with dots, in that case I beleive the square button on your phones lower screen is to be used to bring up the menu)

Back out and choose realtime information.
You will now have several screens of default gauges. Press and hold will bring up options to add gauges, choose a type of gauge and you will be brought to a list of active sensors to choose from (if you are in your car with engine running) the lower gear icon will bring up another menu for customizing the screen.

At this point there will be a bit of fiddling required to get it the way you want, just take your time and it will all become clear.
Do you still recomend the ScanToo OBDLink MX as the way to go for reading data and error codes? Caveat: I don't own an android, I have iphones. So I would need to use my Windows laptop to connect to it?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you still recomend the ScanToo OBDLink MX as the way to go for reading data and error codes? Caveat: I don't own an android, I have iphones. So I would need to use my Windows laptop to connect to it?
If you have an iPhone' then you need a wifi type adapter.
You can get Torque for iPhone but the iPhone uses wifi instead of bluetooth.
EDIT- Apple has dropped torque pro from the app store, it is currently android only.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts
Apple has dropped Torque pro from the app store...
Yeah, I thought that's where this was going. However, I then found

upload_2019-3-18_21-48-1.png

upload_2019-3-18_21-46-22.png

Good reviews, and it looks like it gives you numerous options for monitoring. I may just have to take the $9.99 plunge and see what I get.

Nathan

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
There is some limitation that probably won't either read a certain bus (eg MSCAN) or won't be able to write to Forscan with the cheap ones. OBD FUsionLink MX is the way to go. Anything that's under $50 is not going to cut the mustard for Forscan. I've gone down that road. It might be fine to READ certain modules, but others it won't.

I found it out the hard way here:

https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/how-to-fix-factory-audio.14905/page-3#post-182681

1 - 10 of 10 Posts