Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any evidence that the stock PP wing does anything or doesn't. I've seen/heard it does and it doesn't without anything to really back up the statement.

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
That's a good question. I don't know...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've always been of the opinion that it's mostly just for looks, and any functionality is likely minimal. Some like the looks of it, some don't. Personally, I only considered a PP car, and I prefer the look of the car with the wing.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Does anyone have any evidence that the stock PP wing does anything or doesn't. I've seen/heard it does and it doesn't without anything to really back up the statement.
Overall Aerodynamics “maybe”, esthetics yes. Down force.....probably not, why? Down force would negatively affect mpg and that won’t sell cars.

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I agree with most of what you say I would guess the 3.55 gears that come with the PP effect gas mileage more then whatever downforce the wing would produce. Yet again, all conjecture. This is why I asked. ?

·
Registered
678 Posts
It probably does something, but we're talking at racing speeds in excess of what most here might see on a track, and presumably not on the road, unless perhaps someone is doing the Vanishing Point thing somewhere through Utah and Nevada.

·
Registered
2018 Premium Fastback
55 Posts
I'd wager it does nothing measurable. It's not particularly designed as far as aerodynamics are concerned to produce a lot of if any down force.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I watched a review on YouTube a while back on the 18+ mustang and in that review it was claimed that the factory performance pack spoiler will create 60 libs of down force at 80mph but is designed to be aero neutral at lower speeds, can't for the life of me find that video to reference of course

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have it and I would say it provides a small positive effect. I've tried to observe it the rain or fog but that's not easy. When you're smokin a buddy could observe the flow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All spoilers/wings have but one job, put down force on the rear wheels at high speed! So if you never get your car over 100 miles an hour it does nothing but look nice. Down force at high speed is to help keep the rear wheels planted on the ground for traction and it also helps keep the car under control.

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
Reactions: bidaci and drazz

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
I'm in Texas. There's a highway a few miles from my house with a posted limit of 85. 100 is only 15 over. Think about that for a moment. When was the last time you were 15 over the posted limit?

So, in order...

Maybe, never been on a drag strip with this car, yep and yep.

Reactions: MD18EcoStang

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree, just came back from a 3 months stay in AZ. for the winter and driving back to GA. on I-10 set my cruise control on 98 mph 12 miles over limit and other cars past me like I was standing still.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i can't imagine my car without the wing. it's not for everyone, which might explain why my 2018 Performance Pack option was still sitting on the lot in Feb.'19. and was the only PP car within 100 miles on any dealer lot. im so jealous of who can drive 85 legally and 'worry free'. 85 up here is head on a swivel and a clinched ... you know

·
Registered
45 Posts
I watched a review on YouTube a while back on the 18+ mustang and in that review it was claimed that the factory performance pack spoiler will create 60 libs of down force at 80mph but is designed to be aero neutral at lower speeds, can't for the life of me find that video to reference of course

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
I remember seeing the same. For some reason I want to say it was an American Muscle video? The same video where they previewed the Ford Performance tune before it was released.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts