Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, very interested in possible purchase of a new Mustang ecoboost.
I owned an SVO Mustang turbo in 1985 (ancient history) for a few years and have been intrigued by the new turbo Mustangs and the improvements to them every year.
I am thinking strongly about buying a new ecoboost Mustang turbo - my second Mustang turbo car - and had a few questions for current owners.
Are the 10 speed auto owners mostly happy with the transmission? Any problems such as failures or rough shifting? This looks like a great setup and seems to make sense for lots of driving scenarios.
With the automatic is it possible to get over 30mpg on the highway? I would like to take long trips in this car and not have the 5.0 fuel economy expenses (as well as a lighter car).
The 2018 and newer body style supposedly has better aero so that should help, as aero is key over 50mph.
I would leave the car stock, just take care of it. Are the cars mostly reliable, from a drivetrain perspective, if broken in properly and not beaten or over-modded? Has direct injection valve build up with carbon been a problem?
Do all the Mustangs have the "start stop" motor control when stopped at a traffic light, etc., and can that be turned off? I am not a fan at all of start stop for a whole bunch of reasons.
I really like the idea of the new performance package turbo engine, with bigger capacity radiator, bigger turbo, and re-mapped torque curve. But I like the regualr ecoboost turbo too. I guess this is in pickup trucks and a whole bunch of vehicles now. These are such unique and great looking cars now, and an incredible value. The last of the great affordable and practical rear wheel drive American touring coupes, in my opinion.
Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome! You definitely found the best forum for all things Mustang EB related. I agree 100% with your statement "These are such unique and great looking cars now, and an incredible value. The last of the great affordable and practical rear wheel drive American touring coupes, in my opinion."
While I cant vouch for the 10spd since mine is a 2016, the one bit of advice I would offer is that if you love to drive hard and plan on a occasional track day and can afford it, go with the HPP over the non-PP EB Mustang. But either way, you cant go wrong, these are truly great cars imho. I'm sure others here with 2018's - 2019's will chime in with answers to some of your questions. 1st thing to do is go out and test drive one!!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Welcome from Idaho! As @DanS noted, this is a great website.
Unsure about the 2019s, but the 2018s do not have the auto-off during long pauses (yay!). 'Currently running with a bone-stock Premium Package (not Performance Package) variant, and loving the hell out of it. As for your desire for the PP larger brakes and radiator; are you planning on anything above and beyond regular street driving? My 2-piston brakes can haul us down from 100+ in an amazingly short distance, and I've yet to see any engine overheating issues, even in triple-digit air temps. Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't get the PP, but you might consider the return on investment for your particular needs, as you mentioned staying stock.
For drivetrain warranty's sake, I'll most likely go no further than the Ford Performance tune. Once my planned performance mods begin, the shortcomings of the brakes and radiator might start coming to the surface, but, for now, it seems like a well-balanced package. One option a number of people have done is to salvage a set of brakes from either a PP or base 5.0, as they came with the 4-piston brakes, if increased braking becomes an issue.
Have fun!
Nathan

·
Registered
136 Posts
Unsure about the 2019s, but the 2018s do not have the auto-off during long pauses (yay!). 'Currently running with a bone-stock Premium Package (not Performance Package) variant, and loving the hell out of it. As for your desire for the PP larger brakes and radiator; are you planning on anything above and beyond regular street driving? My 2-piston brakes can haul us down from 100+ in an amazingly short distance, and I've yet to see any engine overheating issues, even in triple-digit air temps. Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't get the PP, but you might consider the return on investment for your particular needs, as you mentioned staying stock.
For drivetrain warranty's sake, I'll most likely go no further than the Ford Performance tune. Once my planned performance mods begin, the shortcomings of the brakes and radiator might start coming to the surface, but, for now, it seems like a well-balanced package. One option a number of people have done is to salvage a set of brakes from either a PP or base 5.0, as they came with the 4-piston brakes, if increased braking becomes an issue.
Have fun!
Nathan
I'll second Nater Potater on the stock brakes and cooling with a non-PP EB. I've had no issues with either driving the car pretty hard down in hot and humid S. FL. and mine is well above stock power output. My recommendation on the PP/HPP package is based on that its a good value in terms of the components you get for the cost. Personally, I prefer to modify the stock vehicle to suit my own tastes and performance goals, which are not fulfilled with the factory performance package.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome! You definitely found the best forum for all things Mustang EB related. I agree 100% with your statement "These are such unique and great looking cars now, and an incredible value. The last of the great affordable and practical rear wheel drive American touring coupes, in my opinion."
While I cant vouch for the 10spd since mine is a 2016, the one bit of advice I would offer is that if you love to drive hard and plan on a occasional track day and can afford it, go with the HPP over the non-PP EB Mustang. But either way, you cant go wrong, these are truly great cars imho. I'm sure others here with 2018's - 2019's will chime in with answers to some of your questions. 1st thing to do is go out and test drive one!!
thanks, good info, probably will not track it in the near future if at all

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll second Nater Potater on the stock brakes and cooling with a non-PP EB. I've had no issues with either driving the car pretty hard down in hot and humid S. FL. and mine is well above stock power output. My recommendation on the PP/HPP package is based on that its a good value in terms of the components you get for the cost. Personally, I prefer to modify the stock vehicle to suit my own tastes and performance goals, which are not fulfilled with the factory performance package.
that is good info, likely the stock cooling is good enough for me, also the deals on the regular non HPP Mustangs are incredible up here in the NW, thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have fun!
Nathan
thanks for the info, will drive both the high performance package and the regular non HPP and see how they feel,
the Focus RS engines were made in Spain (?) I heard wonder if the engines in the high performance Mustang will be from the same source(?) we shall see

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thinking the 10 speed automatic can't be too bad as no one has jumped in yet to complain about it...the other thing I really like about these cars is the leg room- 44 inches on the front, when just about every other car on the road now is 42 inches or 41 inches (one guesses due to airbag placement etc.) for us taller guys the ability to drive without bent legs (gets tiring) and having mostly straight legs on long trips is a huge advantage, another Mustang advantage they could market more I think, now, wish they had a large gasoline tank! Anyway, the new Mustang interior is very nice, even the base seats.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Gas tank in mine has always been big enough for me. I can usually go over 400 miles in summer, a little less than 400 in winter.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My '18 has the 'auto-off option but I never use it. You can leave it off by selecting it in menu. Also don't use that 'hill stop' thang. Used to drive l8 wheelers with 40tons. Think I can hold back this pony at a light with the manual, even on a hill. Enjoy the test drives!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The 10R80 transmissions can handle a 500+hp e85 tuned full bolton coyote motor without any issue so they live a pretty easy life behind the 2.3 motor.

Just change the transmission fluid and filter after the first 30000 miles then just the fluid in the next 30000miles then dont bother changing it again until 60000miles later, your trans will be mint at 120000miles this way.

For mileage, these cars break 30mpg on the highway easily with the auto, just keep your foot out of it.

Shift quality issues are not terribly common but are easily corrected through a software reset at the dealer. These trans use adaptive learning to configure shifting characteristics according to your driving habits, if it messes up in any way you just need to reset it

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Just change the transmission fluid and filter after the first 30000 miles then just the fluid in the next 30000miles then dont bother changing it again until 60000miles later, your trans will be mint at 120000miles this way.
Could you elaborate on this? Why the 60,000 between the 2nd and 3rd maintenance interval?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Could you elaborate on this? Why the 60,000 between the 2nd and 3rd maintenance interval?
Fresh machined surfaces and new clutch packs kick out alot of contaminates as they wear in, as the transmission ages the rate of fluid contamination decreases and levels out reducing the necessary maintenance frequency.
So in miles-
30k fluid and filter
60k just fluid
120k just fluid
180k at this point you probably dont own the vehicle anymore but a flush every 60k is sufficient.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I am also curious because my 18 eco is at 43k, and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and change the tranny fluid as well?
=
I did fluid and filter at 30K. If you have the 6R80, I recommend you go in immediately. I was only asking about why @slojas gapped it out to 60K intervals, after the initial 30K, and he provided some [email protected] good reasoning, as he usually does. 😁

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fresh machined surfaces and new clutch packs kick out alot of contaminates as they wear in, as the transmission ages the rate of fluid contamination decreases and levels out reducing the necessary maintenance frequency.
So in miles-
30k fluid and filter
60k just fluid
120k just fluid
180k at this point you probably dont own the vehicle anymore but a flush every 60k is sufficient.

sounds like I'm doing the fluid and filter, preciate the response!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I regularly drive 150 mile trips and usually get 32-34 mpg on that. I just changed my oil, filled up to make the trip and got 38 mpg for the first time. I was cruising 65 mph on the interstate though. Still really good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome,

I had a 2015 coupe with performance package and 6 speed auto that I leased for 3 years. I would run open track at Mid Ohio at least once a year. The car was great fun on the track. I would leave it in Sport + which kept the traction control on and use the paddles to shift. The tranny temp would get up in the high yellow arc on the track.
Never had any issues with the car except the air conditioning which fixed under warranty. The car would consistently get 30 - 34 mpg on the highway. On the track 7.5 - 8 mpg ;).
I now own a 2018 Ecoboost convertible Premium (no PP). This car is almost as good on the street as the coupe. Naturally the convertible has more body flex than the coupe. The ten speed naturally shifts more than the 6 spd. In normal mode the shifts are smooth except for some instances when it shifts into first coming to a stop. In Sport or Track mode the shifts will be quicker and harder, It will also hold the gear longer unless you use the paddles. But that is what you want if you are driving the car aggressively.
I do feel that if you are not going to do open track days or serious autocross you really do not need the performance package.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts