Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power windows go down about 1/4" when you open the door to clear the gasket and then back up when you close the door.

Well my car has randomly started going down the 1/4" and back up while driving with the door closed. It was quite rare and it had to happen a few times before i could figure out what was happening. Well yesterday on the way home from vacation it started happening a lot. I was able to stop it by cracking the window enough to not be against the top of the gasket but still seal so there was no wind noise.

Anyone run into this and if yes what was the fix. I have not dug into the service manual yet hoping there would be a simple fix. I know other cars i have had had a calibration sequence for the power windows but I have not seen it mention for the Mustang.

I still have a few thousand miles of bumper to bumper but i consider it a last resort to let the dealer tear into the door.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dave

·
Registered
369 Posts
May not apply at all, but try this:

Run the window all the way up and hold the switch "up" for a few seconds. My 300C's auto-up had to be reset often (too often).

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Does it also happen, if you lock the doors when inside the car?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While trying to stay cool yesterday i found some U-Tube videos and a thread on 6G dealing with issues with the "smart window motors" in Ford products.

There were a bunch of different techniques mentioned that had varying degrees of success. On 6G someone posted a TSB on how to clear the motor memory and reinitialize the motors.

Basically you pull the window fuse (or disconnect the battery) while the window is moving to erase the window memory. Then run the window up against the frame to stall the motor and hold the switch for a couple of seconds, then run the window down to stall the motor and hold the switch for a couple of seconds. The sets the full up and down positions. Then you run the window up and down 5 times using auto up/down to set the deceleration rate.

So far so good, no more random up and down a 1/4". I will report again in a week to confirm the fix or not.

Dave

·
Registered
369 Posts
That's quite a dance.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well a week latter and the issue is back. Guess its time for a trip to the dealer as much as i hate the thought.

Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just to add to the conversation, I have a 2016 with 22k miles and the same issue. Tried the different training techniques and the fuse pulling routine. Nothing worked for more than a day. So its off to the dealer who can't get to it for more than a week and its my guess that they won't have the parts on hand so it will be 2 trips.
I counted the up and down cycles on a ten minute drive to Home Depot -(25!!!) since I was planning an emergency 4 hour trip i thought that may 600 or so cycles might actually kill the window motor. So I pulled the fuse #11 and it provided inconvenient solitude for my trip.

I will update this Forum if I learn anything from the dealer but what really ticks me off is this design has been around for at least 10 years and hasn't be perfected.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it took me awhile to make an appointment but mine goes in next Tuesday. I fully expect a second trip unless they find a loose connection or shorted wire.

I have been living with it by just cracking the window open. If you are real quick the window will still be touching the gasket that contacts the side of the glass but the body controller doesn't try to do the short drop.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well mine went to the dealer and after a couple hours they called and said they needed to order new window motor. This is supposed to be installed Wednesday the 28th so I'll update this discussion then. I asked the service writer if the motor auto-dropped by counting RPM. He didn't know. Lets see what dgc333's experience is

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well they had my car for two days but did confirm the issue, fixed it and confirmed the fix.

There is a switch built into the door latch that tells the body controller that the door has been unlatched. It is this switch that signals the body controller to drop the window. They found a pin in the C525 connector in the path between the switch and body controller that was not locked into the connector and had come out enough to become intermittently connected.

The service manager told me that they had seen other intermittent issues that were traced back to a pin not being locked into the connector housing properly.

I was impressed that they confirmed the issue since it had been cool the past few days and the occurance was rare. I was also impressed that they didn't just start throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like dgc333's dealer was quite thorough. My dealer asked me about the door switch too but everything was fine with that. They replaced the motor today in 45 minutes under warranty. My car's issue is solved. I should have asked the service writer what the cost would have been w/o warranty coverage.
This is a good example why these forums are so valuable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well they had my car for two days but did confirm the issue, fixed it and confirmed the fix.

There is a switch built into the door latch that tells the body controller that the door has been unlatched. It is this switch that signals the body controller to drop the window. They found a pin in the C525 connector in the path between the switch and body controller that was not locked into the connector and had come out enough to become intermittently connected.

The service manager told me that they had seen other intermittent issues that were traced back to a pin not being locked into the connector housing properly.

I was impressed that they confirmed the issue since it had been cool the past few days and the occurance was rare. I was also impressed that they didn't just start throwing parts at it.

Sounds a lot like the explanation I’ve been searching for to solve the same problem in my own mustang. Thank you for posting. Did your dealer replace the entire door latch assembly? I’m at a local mechanic and they’re telling me that the solution is to replace my entire “door latch assembly” (which I received a pretty surprisingly expensive quote on) but at the same time, they don’t seem to be 100% certain about it being the real fix. I’m not under warranty and am dead against bringing it back to the dealer I bought it from because the last time I was there for an issue that wasn’t under warranty was the absolute worst. Thanks in advance for responding

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They didn't replace anything. They just reseated the offending pin in the connector. No issues since last August when they fixed it.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was covered by the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty

Dave
I own a 2019 GT bought in August of 2019. About 4 months after buying my car, the passenger side window began to rarely and sporadically cycle up and down 1-2 inches when it reached the end of its upward position of travel. This became worse and worse until it was happening more often than not and often would "give up" and leave itself closed just enough to seal out the elements but still cause wind noise at highway speeds. I estimate the amount of travel it isn't accomplishing at around 1.5 inches, judging by the safety info etching of the driver window vs the faulty passenger side.

Anyway, after a month or two of it having the issue at an almost 100% reproducibility rate, I brought it to the dealer. They ordered a new motor and replaced it a week later. This was covered by warranty. A few months after this the issue began manifesting itself again. Just as before, it's been progressively becoming more consistent in its misbehaving. Also, as before, it seems to be more prevalent and stubborn about not remaining fully closed when the weather is warmer. The issue occurs both when attempting to manually/automatically close the window as well as after a passenger opens and closes the door, thus requiring the window to open and close a bit for sealing purposes under normal circumstances.

I'm about to go back to the dealership and attempt to find a solution that sticks. Dave, would you mind letting me know if your solution with fixing loose electrical connectors has withstood the test of time? I know it's been about 3 months since you're last post; but I hope you don't mind updating us.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its been perfect since they reseated the pin in the connector last August. I had actuslly forgotten it happened until you posted.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2019 GT about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday my driver window started the up & down activity I'm reading about here. First I thought the convertible top wasn't completely closed, so I reopened & closed it. Nope. Next I did the door. Nope. I rolled all the windows up & down a few times. Nope. So I went to google and ended up here. It's disappointing to learn that this is something Ford is likely aware of yet allowed to continue. This is my first Ford. It was important to me to buy an American automobile and support our economy. Im hoping this is a one-off fix.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts