Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,611 Posts
I purchased a 2019 GT about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday my driver window started the up & down activity I'm reading about here. First I thought the convertible top wasn't completely closed, so I reopened & closed it. Nope. Next I did the door. Nope. I rolled all the windows up & down a few times. Nope. So I went to google and ended up here. It's disappointing to learn that this is something Ford is likely aware of yet allowed to continue. This is my first Ford. It was important to me to buy an American automobile and support our economy. Im hoping this is a one-off fix.
It's a 2019 and still under full warranty. Take it to the dealer, it's not something you have to deal with on your own (yet).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its been perfect since they reseated the pin in the connector last August. I had actuslly forgotten it happened until you posted.

Dave
Do you happen to know what connector they found the pin loose in? Was it at the body control module or at the window motor? Thanks for your post as my 2017 just started freaking out.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The work order had the connector number and cavity listed, i assumed it was in the door. I don't have the work order anymore so couldn't tell you the number now.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
The power windows go down about 1/4" when you open the door to clear the gasket and then back up when you close the door.

Well my car has randomly started going down the 1/4" and back up while driving with the door closed. It was quite rare and it had to happen a few times before i could figure out what was happening. Well yesterday on the way home from vacation it started happening a lot. I was able to stop it by cracking the window enough to not be against the top of the gasket but still seal so there was no wind noise.

Anyone run into this and if yes what was the fix. I have not dug into the service manual yet hoping there would be a simple fix. I know other cars i have had had a calibration sequence for the power windows but I have not seen it mention for the Mustang.

I still have a few thousand miles of bumper to bumper but i consider it a last resort to let the dealer tear into the door.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2019 GT bought in August of 2019. About 4 months after buying my car, the passenger side window began to rarely and sporadically cycle up and down 1-2 inches when it reached the end of its upward position of travel. This became worse and worse until it was happening more often than not and often would "give up" and leave itself closed just enough to seal out the elements but still cause wind noise at highway speeds. I estimate the amount of travel it isn't accomplishing at around 1.5 inches, judging by the safety info etching of the driver window vs the faulty passenger side.

Anyway, after a month or two of it having the issue at an almost 100% reproducibility rate, I brought it to the dealer. They ordered a new motor and replaced it a week later. This was covered by warranty. A few months after this the issue began manifesting itself again. Just as before, it's been progressively becoming more consistent in its misbehaving. Also, as before, it seems to be more prevalent and stubborn about not remaining fully closed when the weather is warmer. The issue occurs both when attempting to manually/automatically close the window as well as after a passenger opens and closes the door, thus requiring the window to open and close a bit for sealing purposes under normal circumstances.

I'm about to go back to the dealership and attempt to find a solution that sticks. Dave, would you mind letting me know if your solution with fixing loose electrical connectors has withstood the test of time? I know it's been about 3 months since you're last post; but I hope you don't mind updating us.

So I have a 2016 GT Convertible with performance plus package. So far they have "fixed" my drivers side winow 6 or 7 times. They have replaced the motor 5 times and the latch once and I am heading back now to pick it up as they found a wiring issue. They replaced the motor on the passenger side once as well. Interesting enough, the auto up button works on my car after they replaced the motor the first time and it specifically says in the users manual that only the coupe as auto up, not the rag top.

All covered under my FORD ESP for 7 years / 100k miles with 0 deductilbe.

Also on a side note, anyone having issues with Sirius/XM losing signal often? I know it should be a different thread.

Thanks,

Gregg

·
Registered
3 Posts
My son's 2016 EcoBoost just started doing this same thing on the passenger side window. Has anyone pulled the door panel and identified which connector and pin needs to be reseated?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I believe I have fixed the problem in my son's 2016 EcoBoost. It's been about 2 weeks now and it still seems to be working now... no more passenger window randomly dropping 1/2 inch and up.
This post from another forum was helpful to me.

I took off the door panel and found 3 connectors that I used compressed air to blow out, then sprayed with contact cleaner, then little bit of dielectric grease sparingly around the borders of the plug (not in the metal connector or pin area). It took me two tries (only lasted a couple of days the first try). The first time I did not use contact cleaner and I only did the connector kipp showed in his post (that is the bottom right in the first pic below). The second time I also added two other connectors (one going into the window motor and the other up near the lock mechanism). Some helpful pics below besides also looking at what kipp wrote in the link above. The red circles and arrows show where these are. The connectors are all behind the metal where the window slides (so on the other side of the metal where my circles are).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had to pay a mechanic or Ford dealership to replace lock actuator switch and/or the power window motor? If so, what was the price? I have 2016 Eco Boost Premium and the up and down window issues has surfaced a couple of times. Now, the window will not come down at all causing my door to appear "open", because the top of the glass cannot get into the groove at the top of door frame. I don't want to get ripped off, as well want the first fix to work. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had my motor replaced in august 2019. Worked fine but yesterday it started again.
I called the dealer that fixed it. They can have me in for a diagnosis in three weeks. Then I called the dealer that sold me the car. They can try to fit me in if I leave the car for a week. Next up sending the Ford Regional Service guy the content from this thread.
But for now pulling the fuse is my only option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wish I knew what the dealership did when they finally fixed mine 3 months ago. in 3 years, they replaced 4 driver side motors and one passenger side. The re did the wires and the last time around I think they also packed the connector with something to try and prevent moisture from getting in. Usually stopped working again after a week or so, but this time been 3 months.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The motor replacement in 2019 has until now, lasted 1.5 years. Since having it done I've only put 8000 miles on the car. What I'd love to do is find is a "non drop window motor". I first saw this drop idea on a Mercedes which was designed to release air pressure and thus allow the door to close easier. When I pulled the fuse on my car I noticed zero difference in ability to close. This is a solution to a problem that does not exist. Just to answer a question about cost, my Invoice says the motor was $150. What really bothers me is I figured out I bought or leased 24 new cars that had power windows---this is the only one that had an inkling of a problem. I don't have a heated garage anymore but when it stays warm I might just do what Gator_Stang did. I'm amazed that Gregg G went through 5 total motors. At retail that's $750!!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I would not agree that it is a solution to a problem that does not exist. There is a lip on the gasket that the window tucks up under when fully closed that if the window does not drop it pulls on the gasket. With out the drop feature over time you would tear the gasket. I have had my window freeze in the winter so it does not drop and it definitely is pulling on the gasket when you open the door. Don't think it has anything to do with releasing pressure since the window is still in contact with the gasket, just below the lip.

Also, I don't think the motor has the drop feature, I think it is controlled by the body controller.

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Been kept busy so I could not reply to @dgc333's thoughtful post quickly. Sunday AM I went out and looked at the weather stripping and saw the rubber gasket on the top. I also pulled the fuse with the window fully up. In looking at it I could see it rubbing a bit but not much. I opened the right door and opened and closed the left door ten times and I observed the glass edge which is quite beveled. There is very little drag on opening and closing and I even did a video of the process (which isn't very good). I'd bet a bit of silicon on this rubber would make closing effortless. I then did the reset logic dance and it worked as it did before but I'm not optimistic for continued success. Today I went to work on this problem and got the email of the the Ford Regional Service manager. I'll write him tomorrow and report back to this group and I'll use some of your tales.

·
Registered
917 Posts
A bit of a sidebar but someone on a Facebook page posed the question wondering if S550s would be on the road in 20 years or so. I'm hopeful that because we own Mustangs, they will be supported in the aftermarket as well as their previous generations. That said, it will be things like these electronic controls that, if not available, will turn them into static art.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you post a pic
Well they had my car for two days but did confirm the issue, fixed it and confirmed the fix.

There is a switch built into the door latch that tells the body controller that the door has been unlatched. It is this switch that signals the body controller to drop the window. They found a pin in the C525 connector in the path between the switch and body controller that was not locked into the connector and had come out enough to become intermittently connected.

The service manager told me that they had seen other intermittent issues that were traced back to a pin not being locked into the connector housing properly.

I was impressed that they confirmed the issue since it had been cool the past few days and the occurance was rare. I was also impressed that they didn't just start throwing parts at it.

Can you post a pic or give exact location of this pin that needs reset? I have a 2017 that’s doing the exact same thing... tends to happen after hitting a bump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is the follow up I promised after trying to get two appointments at two different dealership.
First, tilting at Windmills. I wrote a letter to the Ford regional service manager. Pretty good and well documented letter. Can't put it here because it names too many people. Of course no answer!

Second, got an appointment and even offered to buy a new motor so they had one in stock. They said they would obtain one before my appointment. Brought it in and the mechanic spent some time checking connections, switches and indeed the motor itself. Said its the motor. Service writer said they didn't have any and in fact they were backordered. I was very disappointed I said and would wait for them to to put the door back together---service writer asked me if I'd like the fuse pulled out---said yes. Waited about 15 minutes for my car but service writer came out and said they had located a motor. Could I come back in a few hours. Sure said I and when I did the new (another) motor was in and problem was solved. The week before I traded the Mustang for another new car so the following day I dropped off my trade. So in retrospect the Mustang was a very good car, the window motor was its only problem in 5.5 years. About 25 years ago however I promised myself I'd never buy the same car twice so I hope the new window motor is good to the new owner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's a 2019 and still under full warranty. Take it to the dealer, it's not something you have to deal with on your own (yet).
I have a 2020 Mustang convertible. Had the winow ‘bouncing issue’ and eventually it was resolved only after replacing the window motor. Seems this is a more common issue.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts