Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I can't speak for what is quietest, but I can say that the MBRP street exhaust with a catless downpipe and a bigger turbo is very loud, so you'll want to stay away from that setup.

·
Registered
2016 Mustang Ecoboost, 6-speed manual, premium
87 Posts
Hi
Did a full bolt on incl nx2.
cant have any noise where i live. Is there a near silent setup of 3" exhaust and/or down pipe?
Your best bet may be to get a quality high flow catted downpipe and maybe pick up a used GT exhaust to weld to your resonator (or replace that with a Y-pipe). Short answer is, almost anything is going to be louder than stock, but you can have something be less obnoxious and well within noise ordinances. With a bigger Turbo you definitely want to have better flow going out though.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm running the Invidia Q300 catback exhaust system. It is a full 3" system and has a nice low growl not very loud even at startup. However, it comes alive when you bring up the rpm's. This is also a 304 stainless system. I still have the stock down pipe so I can't help you with how it will sound with 3" down pipe.

This exhaust system runs anywhere from $705 to just under $1000. You see it most often at $825. Very high quality fit and finish.
With all that said keep in mind exhaust sound preference is very subjective. My preference is a exhaust system I know is there, soft purr in the back ground inside the car. Recognizable as a sports car outside the vehicle without being offensive. Then ready to open up when I choose to enjoy some spirited driving.

The Invidia system was the closest I could find to meet my criteria. However, even it can have a bit more interior volume then I prefer when going up a steep hill prior the the auto trans shifting down.

There is a YouTube video out there on the Invidia system, it does not sound like what is represented in the video at all. No raspyness and no popping, just a nice low clean tone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My neighbors have commented that they are hardly aware of my Cobb V2 exhaust with Mishimoto catted downpipe, even when leaving for the airport at 4-5am for occasional trips. They have a mildly modded modded GT next door for comparison. As the revs rise though.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't speak for what is quietest, but I can say that the MBRP street exhaust with a catless downpipe and a bigger turbo is very loud, so you'll want to stay away from that setup.
Thats what i have. Sounds like a home made scooter. Cant take it. Think of going back to stock and goving up power. I want to puke from the sound.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thats what i have. Sounds like a home made scooter. Cant take it. Think of going back to stock and goving up power. I want to puke from the sound.
Haha, I almost feel the same, this exhaust is nowhere near what I was expecting. I've got a resonator I need to have put in that I'm hoping will help, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have a MBRP race cat back which is full 3" with just straight thru glass pack style mufflers at the very back and it's not obnoxiously loud at all even at WOT or at start up. It's a nice deep tone without the high-pitched ricer rasp that some cat backs have which is not what I was wanting. I don't have my catted 3" DP on yet so cannot say how much that would affect the tone. I have neighbors with louder exhaust than mine so not an issue for me with the neighbors.

Now if we want to talk loud then my 77 KZ 1000 and 76 Harley with straight pipes will wake the dead at start up and idle. My wife says she can hear me coming 2+ miles from the house on either one of them and the garage door is always open and waiting for me to pull in regardless of the time of day or night. In all honesty though I do try to keep them as quiet as possible once I pull into the neighborhood, but out on the main roads they are always singing their respective sweet melodies.

BD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi
cant have any noise where i live. Is there a near silent setup of 3" exhaust and/or down pipe?
Hi
Check out the El Moostang Facebook page and listen to exhaust note on latest autocross videos. The noise limit is 85 db, which is considered extremely low for a motorsports event. I have a NX2/E30 with custom single 3” exhaust, two straight thru inline Kook’s mufflers using one as a resonator and second as a muffler. Leads to a dual tip 3” ID, each filled with a Car Chemistry dual disc insert and I use their open center cap on the middle tubes. That’ll make sense if you look at it, and parts it comes with. Makes enough power to run 12.70 @105 in 98 degree Texas heat. I can drive at highway speeds with no drone or uncomfortable noise. Anyway, lots of mods on El Moostang, so check it out and if anyone has questions, shoot me a message on Facebook, not on this forum much.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Not all of us do social media so how about posting a you tube link for us here on the forum of El moostang.

BD

Reactions: MD18EcoStang

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Thank you for posting the video. So that is 85 dbs of 3" single exhaust noise. Sounds much louder than 85 dbs in the video to me but then videos can be deceiving compared to in person also.

I like the deeper tone of my MBRP personally than the single exhaust notes from our ecos, I guess it just sounds too much like a JDM exhaust. Not that I do not like the JDM exhaust sound, just not from a mustang. I used to drag race a 78 Datsun 620 pickup with the L20B that would run mid 14s in the 1/4 mile and give stock V8s of the era a run for their money. It had a full 3" straight pipe from header collector back to in front of the rear wheel. Now it was loud as a pissed off swarm bumble bees. Powerband was 4 to 7500 rpm.

BD

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
I see you're running with Spokes. The DB limit at that venue is 85db at the property line, not 85db where the camera was...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I see you're running with Spokes. The DB limit at that venue is 85db at the property line, not 85db where the camera was...
So not sure what you meant by the above. You mean the exhausts noise level as heard in the video was above or below the 85 DB limit.

BD

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
that the DB limit the original poster mentions isn't what his exhaust is putting out necessarily, but what the venue requires and where it's measured. So as heard in the video was probably above 85db.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ok so when measured is it at an idle or certain rpm limit/range you must pass compared to actual on track noise level. All my past racing from year ago we never had noise limits to adhere to so just curious as to when and how the limit is measured/regulated.

Heck here in Bama we don't even have noise regs for on road vehicles of any kind or at least are never enforced. Both my bikes are straight pipes open exhaust with no baffles of any kind.

BD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts