Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me crazy, but after seeing the construction of the rear mufflers I thought why not just drill through the tubing that has a loop in it with a hole saw. It would open up the gas flow through the box. Not sure what it would sound like but it would be a cheap option especially if you were going to change them anyway. You could try it and if it did not work out go ahead with the new ones.

Any thoughts ?

Muffler drill out.jpg

·
Registered
370 Posts
Don’t think it would really help, much at all. In a turbo charged application the exhaust gasses have a velocity that needs to be maintained through the system to prevent or lessen back pressure. Exhaust coming from the turbo needs to maintain the velocity to exit through the tail pipe so that exhaust gas coming behind don’t get backed up because it can’t get out fast enough. Remember motors are just air pumps, less restriction in and out makes more power.
That image of the interior of OEM mufflers will help others to understand why a straight through design makes more power though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Crazy to see it curve like that... What is the point? Sound dampening I presume?

I still have the stock mufflers on with a y pipe, but after seeing this I'm kicking myself for not getting cat backs!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don’t think it would really help, much at all. In a turbo charged application the exhaust gasses have a velocity that needs to be maintained through the system to prevent or lessen back pressure. Exhaust coming from the turbo needs to maintain the velocity to exit through the tail pipe so that exhaust gas coming behind don’t get backed up because it can’t get out fast enough. Remember motors are just air pumps, less restriction in and out makes more power.
That image of the interior of OEM mufflers will help others to understand why a straight through design makes more power though.
Surely by drilling you would create a better flow for gases to escape, as it would almost bet straight through.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crazy to see it curve like that... What is the point? Sound dampening I presume?

I still have the stock mufflers on with a y pipe, but after seeing this I'm kicking myself for not getting cat backs!
Well I am about to fit the Y pipe, but thought I would have a go at this to see if it works. If not just buy some new mufflers.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Unless the hole is the same size as the pipe (which would effectively cut it) It will pose a restriction with some gases still being pushed through the curve. I would think this would induce some extra turbulence and potentially cause additional back pressure and/or change the exhaust note due to harmonics changing due to the diverted flow. I don't think I would do this unless I had other mufflers or straight pipes to put on in case it goes horribly wrong, (sounds like a Honda).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless the hole is the same size as the pipe (which would effectively cut it) It will pose a restriction with some gases still being pushed through the curve. I would think this would induce some extra turbulence and potentially cause additional back pressure and/or change the exhaust note due to harmonics changing due to the diverted flow. I don't think I would do this unless I had other mufflers or straight pipes to put on in case it goes horribly wrong, (sounds like a Honda).
Be fun to try though

·
Registered
514 Posts
Be fun to try though
I've got nothing against experimenting. My car being my daily, I like to have a plan B in case the mad scientist plan A doesn't work. I've had my share of things turned out as expected or better and I've had the what was I thinking experiences too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've got nothing against experimenting. My car being my daily, I like to have a plan B in case the mad scientist plan A doesn't work. I've had my share of things turned out as expected or better and I've had the what was I thinking experiences too. :rolleyes:
This man makes sense. :sneaky:

·
Registered
26 Posts

I installed a Y pipe to replace the resonator and two MagnaFlow 4" X 9" Oval Center/Offset Straight Through Performance Mufflers (p/n #11225 at $90 each). Here's a clip of what it sounds loke now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not worth the time or effort man in my opinion. May increase exhaust sound slightly and won’t give any power increase. What’s your goal?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
FWIW, the stock mufflers do not present a restriction at up to stage 1 power levels.

In search of the perfect exhaust note i have tried a number of configurations with straight through touring & race mufflers with & without the resonator. None of them make enough power over stock to be noticeable.

If you have ever seen a muffler comparison they are rated by how much they flow in CFM at a given pressure drop. Just because a muffler flows less at a given pressure does not mean it presents a restriction if you are not trying to flow as much. Quite sure the Ecoboost mufflers would be a restriction on a 5.0 and as you do mods that increase HP you will be flowing more so at some point they will become a restriction but they are not at stage 1 power levels. It is pretty well documented on this forum and others that cat back exhaust mods are not needed for performance until you have made a lot of other upgrades.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's not about the power, it's about the sound. I have piped and jetted every bike I've owned and upgraded every Corvette, Camaro and Firebird. My 2018 Mustang has more torque and usable horsepower than many of the sports cars I've owned. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE SOUND.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you mean the resonator? My 2018 Mustang EcoBoost has the Resonator Delete Y-Pipe installed. The pipe is from MRT Engineered Performance; part #90M100. In addition I installed the Ford Performance by K&N Drop-In Replacement Air Filter. Purchased from American Muscle; part #M-9601-M. Purchase the Y-pipe directly from the MRT Engineered Performance website for $169.99, which is $50 cheaper that retail price at other sites.

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does anyone have the NXT Step Performance Mufflers on their eco? They seems to sound really good and would complement my reso delete without blowing the bank. Link below.

I’ve been looking at them to but there was only 1 review let me know if you do get the NXT step and a sound clip would be much appreciated tks vince

1 - 20 of 45 Posts